HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Burj Al Alam in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:29 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Those piling rigs have done nothing for the past week so I'm changing this to on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post

Now you can see work is still being done on the nakheel tower (even though it will most certainly stop soon anyway ) while it has actually stopped here.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:56 AM
BANNED

dubai is going to be full of ditches soon...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:23 AM
somewhere in-between

I was wondering how long Dubai could keep up it's insane growth. Maybe this is a sign of things slowing down there, but we'll see.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:07 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Same as usual

Quote:

Still sleepy,,, very sleepy

As to the contractor being mentioned Feb-End,, they must mean 2010..

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 7:51 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

And again... lol

Main Burj Al Alam contracts weeks away
Angela Giuffrida

Last Updated: May 05. 2009 3:53PM UAE / May 5. 2009 11:53AM GMT The main construction contract for the Burj Al Alam, a 501-metre high commercial tower at Dubai’s Business Bay that is destined to be one of the world’s tallest buildings, is expected to be awarded in “four to five weeks”, according to officials.

Muhammed Athar, the sales coordinator for the project at Fortune Group, the Dubai developer behind the project, said the company was in the final stages of negotiation with contractors but declined to name which firms had submitted bid for the deal.

He said about Dh1bn (US$272m) had been trimmed from the original budget, with construction now likely to cost Dh3bn.

“This was primarily due to lower costs of building materials...we will hopefully announce the contractor in four to five weeks with work beginning soon after,” said Mr Athar.

He added that construction would be financed through the company’s own resources although it may consider raising money from other sources if required.

Burj Al Alam was launched in 2006 and is more than half sold. Foundations work, which was carried out by Middle East Foundations, is now complete.

If the main construction goes according to schedule, the tower will be ready in the first quarter of 2012.

And also some pictures from the end of april

Quote:

I hear next month that they will announce the fact they will announce a possible contractor in another month. This will be the 4th time lol

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I used to really like this building at first but I don't think I like it anymore. It just needs a few scale changes and it'll be as good as new. Well... you know.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 11:01 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ Most of the renders are inaccurate. This model is more accurate to the true shape this would have if built

Quote:

Notice that this is the wind testing model, so actual model, Less curvy than the renders.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 7:49 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Lonely guy, all by himself

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2009, 2:56 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

They might actually do some work soon. There are more piling rigs on site now so hopefully some work will actually happen.

Quote:
Some MEF workers on site, maybe they will start again soon.

Also some more piling machines, cranes.

Also some more news about contractors, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybonita View Post
8 firms eye Burj Al Alam deal

on Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Burj Al Alam now has five more contenders in the lead for the main contract, it was revealed yesterday by the Fortune Group.

Dismissing rumours about project cancellation, Syed Muhammad Ali, Chief Executive Officer of Fortune Group, told Emirates Business in an exclusive interview that "a consortium from Malaysia, Saudi Oger, Bin Laden Group, ACC and Grocon are now in the list", which had Samsung Engineering, Besix and Arabtec Construction in January. The contract was earlier to be awarded in February but will now be awarded next month. The project, which was launched in 2006, will be completed by 2012 against the earlier 2009.

The 510-metre tower, which will reportedly be the tallest commercial tower in the world, will be located in the Business Bay area.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:15 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Piling restarted.

Quote:

Looks hopeful, maybe machines might start turning soon

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:19 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

More updates

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 1:43 AM

hopefully something is about to happen

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 12:49 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

The latest

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:48 PM

Looks like we're close to seeing something start.

I hope they don't downgrade height/change this design... This is one of my favorite projects in Dubai.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:27 PM

So is the financing secure? If so, then build away.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:58 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
So is the financing secure? If so, then build away.
Who knows, this is just the piling which is nothing compared to the main contract. We won't know until the main contractor is supposed to start work. Honestly I didn't think they would restart piling at all but we will see what happens in a few months I guess.

I still think the really big tower with a chance to get built is the pentominium. The developers of that have 5 projects, 3 are finished and one is topped out and almost done as well so in say, half a year the pentominium will be the only project they have to worry about. Also (this is just me bullshitting now), they sell the type of apartments that people who want to live in would look for (lots of 2 beds and 3 beds) as opposed to building a tower full of studios and 1 beds which are often bought by speculators. This means they might suffer less from the fact that the speculators have all disappeared and also from speculators defaulting (because they expected to be able to resell at a higher price but now have no buyers and can't make the next payment).

The developer of burj al alam has other projects to worry about as well. And also, I can't see who would buy anything in this tower at the moment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this tower ever gets done it'll be a great small area for skyscrapers.

The cheese grater building is across the road.

Ubora towers also just across the road.

And this tower also across the road. Piling is done but now on hold.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:54 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

O-14 looks better than I expected! And I've waited a while for Ubora towers to rise. We need more updates on the smaller towers. The Supertalls are nice and all but some of those mid-rises look sexyy.

As for the Burj Al Alam, I like it, I just hope they do something creative with that base because it looks hideous. Something that fits the curves of the building would be better. Maybe some sharp edges. A great example is the Almas Tower. The tower is curvy and sexy and the base is sharp and modern which fits it just right.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:52 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Well one version of the base is this, but I'd say we would see the simple version if anything at all

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 6:11 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Updates:

Piling work on iconic Burj Al Alam to be completed by January 2010

Fortune Group, a leading Dubai based property developer, today announced work on the prestigious Burj Al Alam, the world's tallest commercial tower, is going ahead at a steady pace, with the piling work currently progressing satisfactorily at the construction site in Dubai's Business Bay.

Piling work on iconic Burj Al Alam to be completed by January 2010.

* United Arab Emirates: Sunday, August 09 - 2009 at 13:36
* PRESS RELEASE

Middle East Foundations Group was awarded the shoring and piling contract for the Dhs4bn project that is slated to become one of the emirate's defining landmarks and an iconic addition to its skyline.

Commenting on the work progress Mr. Syed Muhammad Ali, C.E.O. of Fortune Group, said:

'Work on the tower is progressing at a steady pace. The shoring work has been completed and already over 146 of the 613 piles required for the foundation of the pioneering project have been laid. The piling work should be completed by January 2010 and we are optimistic about meeting the 2012 deadline for completing the project.'

'For the 510-metre tall edifice which will be amongst the tallest structures in the world, we have ensured the use of state-of-the-art structural techniques in shoring and piling, with best construction practices being adopted at the construction site. Around 58,000 cubic metres of concrete and 5,000 tonnes of steel will be consumed in the piling work, which will require an estimated 180,000 man-hours to complete,' added Mr Ali.

Designed by Japanese architects Nikken Sekkei to resemble a crystal flower, Burj Al Alam is an eye-catching hyperboloid skyscraper that flares out at the top and bottom and is inspired by the Arabian rose and Zen culture. It includes 74 floors of office space, a high-end, 200-room hotel - the highest hotel in the world - and 104 serviced apartments in the top 27 floors and a four-storey retail concept 'The Corporate Mall' at the base.

Its six-storey crown, where the petals of the flower separate, provides spectacular views of Business Bay Creek to the south and the Burj Dubai super-high rise tower to the north and features a restaurant, the world's highest sky garden and rooftop spa, Turkish bath, viewing deck, helipad and private club facilities. Its graceful façade, formed by six shafts that appear to be bound together at the centre, will be clad in reflective glass. Fortune Group has already sold 50% of retail space in Corporate Mall and 75% of the commercial space in the tower.

The structural and service engineers of the project are Arup Japan Ltd while the local consultants are Engineering Construction Group (ECG). US-based Parsons Brinckerhoff has been named project manager for the development.

Commenting on the growth of the group, Mr. Ali, said:

'Fortune has grown steadily over the years to become one of the leading real estate developers in the UAE. We currently have a portfolio of over Dhs12bn and our cumulative investments exceed Dhs6.5bn, with around 19 million sq ft of project area presently under various phases of development. We try to give our projects that extra edge, bringing together prime location, elegant design and superb craftsmanship. All of which add up to great value that appreciates over time.'

http://www.ameinfo.com/206001.html

From the developer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
Updates from today:

Source

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:59 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Recent updates. That deeper section is probably where the tower will go (if it ever gets built which I really doubt )

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive