HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 7:37 PM

"It wasn't as though George Pepperdine wound up on Skid Row; he died at the commodious 1614 Wellington Road."

This is not accurate and would have benefited from further research. My grandfather passed away bankrupt. He was able to stay in this house because he signed ownership over to the university before he declared bankruptcy. If not for that, he and my grandmother would have had to move to another location. Upon my grandmother's death, the university sold the house and auctioned off everything in the house. All the money went to the university.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 7:44 PM

I smell trouble.

1932 - East Seventh and Santa Fe Ford Pool Hall

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/54429/rec/69

Around the corner,

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/54429/rec/69

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The truck in the image below is roughly where the dump entrance would be a few years later. The sign is for the Blue Diamond Corp which is listed at 1650 S Alameda (a couple of blocks north) in the 1932 CD. They were in the building materials and supplies business, so it's possible this was their yard just south of their office.

Detail of picture at USC Digital Library
With the municipal dump still fresh in our minds, I thought I'd revisit the Blue Diamond Corp. The Blue Diamond Corp seems to have started off as the Blue Diamond Plaster Co at 2200 E 16th. Their entry in the 1917 CD (the first I could find) was only one line, but by 1923 they had become the Blue Diamond Materials Co, Inc with a half-page advert.

LAPL

Their first listing at 1650 S Alameda appears in the 1926 CD, and they are first listed as the Blue Diamond Corp in the 1932 CD, but by then they had reverted to single line adverts. The one below is taken from the 1938 CD. They continue to appear in the City Directories until the late 1960s.

LAPL

The picture below shows an aerial view of Blue Diamond Plaster Company (USC's description), and is dated circa 1930. The large excavations may be why the area was chosen as the site of the municipal dump. Near the center they still had stables, even though USC has several pictures of their heavy duty delivery trucks, some with solid tires. They also had their own Blue Diamond baseball diamond!

USC Digital Library

The steel plant doesn't appear on the aerial view above, so I tried to figure it out from the 1961 aerial view I posted here. I think it was built behind the general offices on Alameda Street. This one is dated 1931, and is part of a set.

USC Digital Library

The 1921 Baist map shows the area of the Blue Diamond Corp/municipal dump to be mostly empty, although there are a couple of buildings labeled "Blue Diamond Plaster Co" next to the railroad tracks (that must have been related to the 2200 E 16th Street address).

www.historicmapworks.com

Using Google Maps and Historic Aerials I've overlaid the routes of East Washington Boulevard between Alameda and Santa Fe (below). USC has a constuction picture of the first extension of Washington Boulevard here. This picture itself only shows a big trench with a few industrial structures in the background, but the description is quite interesting:

"Looking over the excavation at the end of Washington Street at Alameda which city council paid $75,000 for right of way. Washington street would start in the center of the photo and continue straight over the gully." -- typed noted attached to verso, dated 12 September 1931. "Photo shows the gravel pit on the East Side which the city purchased for $175,000 and apparently cannot use. Diagram shows plans for extension of Washington street between Alameda and Alameda and Santa Fe." -- Examiner clipping attached to verso, dated 18 September 1931. "'Hole-in-the-ground' to cost city still more" -- Examiner clipping attached to verso, dated 5 October 1934.

That seems to date the building of the first extension as 1931, which ties in nicely with e_r's original dump pictures. E Washington was still using the lower route in 1961 (see link to the 1961 aerial, above), but the Historic Aerials image from 1972 shows the current route fully in use (the path of the lower route can still be seen quite clearly). I'm guessing that the current route was built in the late 1960s, which is around the end of the Blue Diamond Corp at that location.

www.historicmapworks.com

I did a quick search of NLA to check for previous mentions of the Blue Diamond Corp, and found one of my own posts about the Pigeon Hole Garage (the full post is here):

Quote:

Pigeon Hole Garage.
Under construction at Wilshire and Flower is a six-story garage in which an elevator will lift automobiles to the desired floor and park them in "pigeon hole" stalls. Blue Diamond Corp. is furnishing materials for the structure scheduled to open late next month. Photo dated: September 8, 1953.

LAPL
I assume there's no connection between the Blue Diamond Corp and the Blue Diamond Produce Co which I mentioned in post #19843 when I wrote about the Produce Terminal in the Central Manufaturing District.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I smell trouble.

1932 - East Seventh and Santa Fe Ford Pool Hall

A post with a then and now view:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17599

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpepperdine View Post
"It wasn't as though George Pepperdine wound up on Skid Row; he died at the commodious 1614 Wellington Road."

This is not accurate and would have benefited from further research. My grandfather passed away bankrupt. He was able to stay in this house because he signed ownership over to the university before he declared bankruptcy. If not for that, he and my grandmother would have had to move to another location. Upon my grandmother's death, the university sold the house and auctioned off everything in the house. All the money went to the university.
Well, it sounds like he didn't wind up on Skid Row, if he was fortunate enough to die in a big house, whoever actually owned it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Oops!

I knew I smelled trouble!

He swore he was the only seller of officially licensed Olympic umbrellas

. . . so I left him to watch my car and wallet.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:49 PM

Not at all...you have great details. Someone else had a post about the Ford pool hall's natural popularity with workers at the Ford assembly plant across the street.... Never easy to find old posts here, with the search tool or on google....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Unrelated question for those who frequent La Brea at or near Wilshire: I am told that the macadam has a series of parallel cracks for several blocks that strongly resemble the pattern of standard gauge street car tracks. Was there a street car line that ran on La Brea?
I do not have an answer regarding the tracks other than street cars ran on La Brea through Inglewood near Hollywood Park. Something I was not familiar with is a "viaduct" on San Vicente that crossed over La Brea. When that disappeared is unknown. I am curious if there are any vestiges of the bridgework. Also wondering when La Brea was "straightened." 1313 S La Brea is the most recognizable building that still remains. It is the "triangular shaped rhombus."

If my navigational skills are correct, San Vicente is the straight road and the perspective is easterly.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/1392/rec/31

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/868/rec/16

NE "area" of San Vicente and Fairfax intersection. Green Spray Market

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/1403/rec/46

1932 Green Spray Market (Another Green Spray at at 10867 Pico Blvd per CD??)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/43878/rec/40

A San Vicente RR bridge once spanned Pico too.

date unknown
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00078/00078292.jpg

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/1124/rec/21

Genesee and San Vicente
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics07/00013088.jpg

What makes Gerry run?

1965 - San Vicente and Wilshire, Distance runner Gerry Lindgren works out.
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics38/00053868.jpg

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I do not have an answer regarding the tracks other than street cars ran on La Brea through Inglewood near Hollywood Park. Something I was not familiar with is a "viaduct" on San Vicente that crossed over La Brea. When that disappeared is unknown. I am curious if there are any vestiges of the bridgework. Also wondering when La Brea was "straightened." 1313 S La Brea is the most recognizable building that still remains. It is the "triangular shaped rhombus."

If my navigational skills are correct, San Vicente is the straight road and the perspective is easterly.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/1392/rec/31

I never knew about the squigly nature of S La Brea at San Vicente, but Google maps shows the northern portion of the squiggle is still there (note my incredibly steady red line, hand-moused like a surgeon!). Also, this explains the sharp chizzled fascia of the green circled building on the left, as it would have been on the sharp corner of the street north of the crossing.

(Google Maps - hosted by me)

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

lacity.org

e_r: Do you maybe have a direct link to this photo? I'd like to get an up-close look at some of the decorative details of the Phillips Block exterior, and maybe get a full-res capture of the whole image, too. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 11:46 PM

San Vicente - La Brea continued.

There seems to have been a natural cleft at the intersection. Any known springs or flowing water in that vicinity? I ask because of another well-commented upon slough at Beverly and Vermont.

1928 or later??
http://www.raremaps.com/maps/large/28411.jpg

Last edited by Godzilla; Jul 22, 2014 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:

NE "area" of San Vicente and Fairfax intersection. Green Spray Market

1932 Green Spray Market (Another Green Spray at at 10867 Pico Blvd per CD??)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/43878/rec/40
Here's a current view of the intersection.
NB. I picked the closest view and rotated it by 25 degrees to match the picture above.

Google Maps

As you can see from the Google image, the Green Spray Market building is still there, although it's lost the fancy details at roof level and the first floor now has solid walls. It's now Shalhevet School.

GSV

Lwize beat me to the Google Maps view of the San Vicente and La Brea intersection. I also looked at Historic Aerials, and can tell you the bridge was there in 1952, but gone by 1972 with the current road layout in place.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:16 AM

Wilshire Tower, another look?

If only things could have remained this way just a little longer, except for that little 'ol Dominguez Building.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../90037/rec/232

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
A current view of the intersection.

GSV

Just to the right down S Santa Fe Avenue is Engine Company No. 17 and the Heinz 57 building, as posted by 3940dxer (see here for the full post - it's well worth it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

I was happy to find that not only does Engine Company No. 17 remain, but also its southern neighbor, the Heinz 57 building, with traces of its "ghost sign" barely visible. Here's a then and now.

http://www.lapl.org/

Since 3940dxer's cycling tour of LA last summer, the old Heinz building has been smartened up and turned into a restaurant called Fifty Seven. The only external signage seems to be this relatively subtle neon lettering on a pillar.

GSV

GW also wrote about these buildings in post #10023.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:19 AM
I Like Turtles!

Smile Even Agent 86 would give a face-palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Not that it matters much...but if you look closely, you will see the southwest corner of 1039, with the tall hedge between its driveway and the back yard of 1045. If you were to look in CDs from the '30s into the '60s, you will find Y C Hong listed at 1045 S Gramercy, so it seems unlikely to have been a clerical error of several decades' standing; also, if you check the LA Times, you will find an obituary for Y C Hong's mother in 1937 that gives his address as 1045. As for the second shot, if you look at the house closest to the driveway in the shot of Nowland (a graduate of U.S.C. law school) and his Ford, you will see that it is not 1039 S Gramercy... I'm not sure why you assume that "The details of the entryway and first floor windows of the house has changed over the years." All of the houses to the north of 1039 appear to be remarkably original, of similar vintage, and with even setbacks. The houses on the far side of the Ford don't match at all.
Kudos, GW! I looked again at the backyard photo and realized my mistake. I had always thought that the yard belonged to the house in the background. Taking my insanity one step further, I then wrongly assumed that the photo of Jr. must then be in the driveway of 1039. I think I'll stick to my day job. I'm a regular Maxwell Smart when it comes to sleuthing! Thanks for setting the record straight for me.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Here's a current view of the intersection.
NB. I picked the closest view and rotated it by 25 degrees to match the picture above.

Google Maps

As you can see from the Google image, the Green Spray Market building is still there, although it's lost the fancy details at roof level and the first floor now has solid walls. It's now Shalhevet School.

GSV

Lwize beat me to the Google Maps view of the San Vicente and La Brea intersection. I also looked at Historic Aerials, and can tell you the bridge was there in 1952, but gone by 1972 with the current road layout in place.

Thank you both for follow ups.Edit. My history of the area is fuzzy. I have a vague recollection of the Green Spray Market being transformed into a hospital. There were once two hospitals in the area, the Midway Hospital and the Westside Hospital listed at 910 S. Fairfax. Could it have been the Westside that once occupied the Green Spray location?

Last edited by Godzilla; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:34 AM
Swink'sBack

Roof & Interior of Mary Andrews Clark Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Socko View Post
ethereal, those pictures of the downtown YMCA remind me of another building near my home -- one of my favorite buildings in Los Angeles, and relevant to your post because it's a former YWCA. I was surprised to see that one of my favorite blogs, Big Orange Landmarks, did a profile of it and I didn't even know!

Mary Andrews Clark Residence

As Floyd B. Bariscale points out, the building is so large, it's hard to capture in a photograph. So here's the bird's eye view from Bing:

The building has appeared in countless movies, and portrayed a mental hospital in at least two that I know of: "Changeling" starring Angelina Jolie, and "The Ring 2" starring Naomi Watts.

A commenter at B.O.L. even posted the building's old phone number! HU 3-5780
Hello again NorishLA. It's me Mr.Swink. I am back with a new handle because for 6 months I have tried to gain access to my old account to no avail. So I created this new one. It's good to be back.

But I was on a location scout for a TV show last year and took these pictures inside the Mary Andrews Clark Residence at Loma and 3rd Street.

All photos property of me.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 AM

Fantastic shots, Mr Swink, and welcome back.

As for Walter Wanger shooting Jennings Lang in the balls and in the process pretty much killing Joan Bennett's career...

More here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2426

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:44 AM
I Like Turtles!

Cheap Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Nice find. I am confident that there were even more long-forgotten tower clocks in the So Cal area.

The list of hamburger purveyors recently mentioned is probably a lot longer than most imagine. Very competitive. Addresses for many of these are unknown.

November 1952 - Airport Village I believe this to be in or around Culver City or Westchester

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...id/48832/rec/2

I found a forum that was discussing Airport Village. It was apparently at the corner of Centinela and Sepulveda in Culver City. The burger joint was referred to by many in the forum as the Hamburger Handout. The owner, James Collins, later went on to found Sizzlers on the other end of Airport Village.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpepperdine View Post

Welcome to Noirish LA and so nice to see your post. Well, what to say, there is nothing like having some information directly from a ''direct source''...so to speak. I hope that doesn't sound too redundant.

Hope to see anything you have to post on your Pepperdine ancestry.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:05 AM

Quote:

I have a vague recollection of the Green Spray Market being transformed into what may have been called the Midway Hospital, circa 1948. Although the footprint is the same, I would have assumed (probably in error) that transforming the market into a hospital would have required major upgrades if not a complete rebuild. The addresses are slightly different but this may be due to remodeling and the change of building entrances?
The Midway Hospital is still at 5925 San Vicente, although it's now the Olympia Medical Center. It's a couple of blocks east of the Shalhevet School.

GSV

According to an article on subacute.com, "Midway Hospital Medical Center has been providing medical care to its community since 1947." The site also has the picture below, complete with the "Midway Hospital Medical Center" sign.

www.subacute.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos