HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:24 PM

What people are sketching out above--a small-format store in an urban setting with a decent prepared foods section to attract non-resident business as well--is a big growth area in the industry, with lots of major players involved.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Austin, thanks for the design award winners -- I like all of them (wasn't sure about that Lantern building thing at first, but now think it's pretty cool; and I didn't like the new Gateway T station at all... but it has grown on me, even though I'm not crazy about the quality of the materials on any of the new stations).

Also, yeah, great shot of the Polish churches together.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Austin, thanks for the design award winners -- I like all of them (wasn't sure about that Lantern building thing at first, but now think it's pretty cool; and I didn't like the new Gateway T station at all... but it has grown on me, even though I'm not crazy about the quality of the materials on any of the new stations).
Also part of the Design Pittsburgh Awards was a design competition for converting the lower deck of the Ft. Wayne Railroad Bridge for pedestrian use.

The design that won inolved incorporating a public performance space, That seems cool, but isn't the upper part of the bridge still in use?

http://aiapgh.org/aia-programs-event...o-competition/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:20 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Wow that's pretty cool. I think it's a great idea. As the strip district gets more infill over the years that would be a nice link to the Northside. Although, the three sisters do a pretty good job of connecting the part people would actually walk between. From the same page, massing idea of a built out strip:

http://aiapgh.org/wp-content/uploads...VisionPlan.jpg

That second drawing is pretty disturbing though; Maracas, train horns & jingle bells hanging alternately from above? What the christ?
EDIT: i see those are just a couple of several drawings that were entered.

And yeah, that track is quite active.

Last edited by Austinlee; Oct 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 5:27 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Note that the AIA Pittsburgh gave Gateway Station it's Silver Medal, the highest award (strangely enough - what happened to gold?) for the year. Only one project can get that honor and they don't have to give it out. And in fact not one has been awarded since 2008.

Last edited by Austinlee; Oct 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 7:28 PM

Alright, I have been wondering this for the past few days: how was pittsburgh able to add 4-5 new skyscrapers in a time where our unemployement was through the roof with the collapse of the steel industry? Sorry for being off topic but i felt this would be the best place to ask.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Alright, I have been wondering this for the past few days: how was pittsburgh able to add 4-5 new skyscrapers in a time where our unemployement was through the roof with the collapse of the steel industry? Sorry for being off topic but i felt this would be the best place to ask.
While I have never done extensive research on the topic, I have always suspected that it was because although the blue collar jobs were lost, the white collar jobs weren't. We lost a tremendous amount of population and national influence during that time, but one thing we never lost was the heavy concentration of corporate headquarters and the jobs that went with them. For example, although they pulled their centers of production out of western PA, US Steel has continued to grow and be successful as a company.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
While I have never done extensive research on the topic, I have always suspected that it was because although the blue collar jobs were lost, the white collar jobs weren't. We lost a tremendous amount of population and national influence during that time, but one thing we never lost was the heavy concentration of corporate headquarters and the jobs that went with them. For example, although they pulled their centers of production out of western PA, US Steel has continued to grow and be successful as a company.
sounds like a possiblity...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:18 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Pittsburgh was hardly unique with the massive 1980s skyscraper boom. The most populous and richest generation in american history (baby boomers) hit their prime working years in the 1980s (most were in their productive 30s). The stock market soared in the early to mid 80s and the nation was bursting with wealth. (Until the market correction known as the stock market crash of 1987) see movie Wall Street for the details. Look at EVERY major city in the US especially 2nd tier cities; Their skylines are mostly defined by this era.
The companies that built towers were too successful to let the american manufacturing decline kill them. PPG: Still one of the top companies in the world in their field - Materials/Coatings (they supply the high tech paint used on new BMWs as one example) ; Financial companies are usually sound giving us the Mellon Tower & PNC towers; Oxford tower & Fifth Ave were needed for class A office space. And the current EQT tower (Dominion Tower) - Energy. Energy is always needed! (Same for our stunning 1930s Gulf Oil HQ tower - Until they moved to Houston As did Pennzoil)

Last edited by Austinlee; Oct 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Pittsburgh was hardly unique with the massive 1980s skyscraper boom. The most populous and richest generation in american history (baby boomers) hit their prime working years in the 1980s (most were in their productive 30s). The stock market soared in the early to mid 80s and the nation was bursting with wealth. (Until the market correction known as the stock market crash of 1987) see movie Wall Street for the details. Look at EVERY major city in the US especially 2nd tier cities; Their skylines are mostly defined by this era.
The companies that built towers were too successful to let the american manufacturing decline kill them. PPG: Still one of the top companies in the world in their field - Materials/Coatings; Financial companies are usually sound giving us the Mellon Tower & PNC towers; Oxford tower & Fifth Ave were needed for class A office space. And the current EQT tower (Dominion Tower) - Energy. Energy is always needed! (Same for our stunning 1930s Gulf Oil HQ tower - Until they moved to Houston As did Pennzoil PENNSYLANIA-OIL)
Ok, thanks for the info!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:40 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
but one thing we never lost was the heavy concentration of corporate headquarters and the jobs that went with them. For example, although they pulled their centers of production out of western PA, US Steel has continued to grow and be successful as a company.
US Steel is producing the most steel it ever has in it's history right now but with 70% less laborers due to technology.

Concerning hq's, actually not counting getting leap-frogged in population by many other cities, we did go from being the 3rd largest corporate HQ city after the big boys of New York and Chicago to our current 8th position. Still strong for the nations 22nd largest metro (in the next couple years we'll probably be down to 24th largest.)

Pittsburgh got CRUSHED in the mergers and aquisitions game of the 80s. Here's a CRAZY blurb from the wikipedia page:

"Pittsburgh lost its manufacturing base in steel and electronics, and its status as the third-largest center for corporate jobs after New York and Chicago [23] with corporate raiders removing the global headquarters of J&L Steel (1974), Gulf Oil (1984), Murphy's Mart (1985), Koppers Chemical and Rockwell Aerospace (both 1988), Sunbeam (1991), Westinghouse (1995) and Dravo Shipbuilding (1998), all through multi-million dollar deals."

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:45 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info!
By the way we are close to another MASSIVE nationwide skyscraper building boom based on my logic. The echo boomers, the new wealthiest generation are just entering their 30's now; They are going to be by far the wealthiest generation in American history due to smaller family sizes. This means all the wealth from the WWII generation comes down to the boomers and then from the boomers to their children, which comprise some gen Xers but more genYers aka millenials. My generation (im 31) is going to see a lot of money. It's like a reverse ponzi scheme. My grandparents all had like 4-8 brothers and sisters, that gets funneled down to their kids, the boomers which my mom has one sibling and my dad is an only child down to me & my one sister. And they all have done well. So you see how that works. Based on the 1980s skyscraper boom, I believe the time frame of 2012/2013 - 2022 or so will see massive construction.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 1:44 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
By the way we are close to another MASSIVE nationwide skyscraper building boom based on my logic. The echo boomers, the new wealthiest generation are just entering their 30's now; They are going to be by far the wealthiest generation in American history due to smaller family sizes. This means all the wealth from the WWII generation comes down to the boomers and then from the boomers to their children, which comprise some gen Xers but more genYers aka millenials. My generation (im 31) is going to see a lot of money. It's like a reverse ponzi scheme. My grandparents all had like 4-8 brothers and sisters, that gets funneled down to their kids, the boomers which my mom has one sibling and my dad is an only child down to me & my one sister. And they all have done well. So you see how that works. Based on the 1980s skyscraper boom, I believe the time frame of 2012/2013 - 2022 or so will see massive construction.
That seems like sound logic, but I don't think we gen "y"ers are going to be as wealthy as you think. Many of us are struggling to find work. Half of us are unemployed, and it doesn't seem to matter if you have a college degree or not. I know of people who went to Ivy-League schools and are fortunate enough to find work as a janitor. I hold a masters degree in geography from West Chester (granted, not exactly a top-notch school, but it's still an education I will be paying for until my 40s), and I'm working as a caregiver for the elderly.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 12:51 PM

I don't think we will see a major construction boom until the credit markets loosen up. There is a lot of capital sitting on the sidelines right now. Once there is a general feeling like the economy is turning the corner, and as soon as the banks aren't afraid to lend again, then we might see a surge in development.

Building booms are usually associated with easy credit.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:38 PM

Looks like the Gardens demo is going to get underway. The existing parking lot was taped off this morning.

Anybody see Scalo's proposed mini apartments. I think there could be a market for these small apartments, but they have to be cheap.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:13 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
That seems like sound logic, but I don't think we gen "y"ers are going to be as wealthy as you think. Many of us are struggling to find work. Half of us are unemployed, and it doesn't seem to matter if you have a college degree or not. I know of people who went to Ivy-League schools and are fortunate enough to find work as a janitor. I hold a masters degree in geography from West Chester (granted, not exactly a top-notch school, but it's still an education I will be paying for until my 40s), and I'm working as a caregiver for the elderly.
You're giving anecdotal examples. People who get relavent university degrees, especially ivy league in your example will have great long term prospects.
I don't care what anyone says. post-secondary education is always a good investment long term and if you don't plan on dying anytime soon, you will be around for awhile.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 8:28 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
You're giving anecdotal examples. People who get relavent university degrees, especially ivy league in your example will have great long term prospects.
I don't care what anyone says. post-secondary education is always a good investment long term and if you don't plan on dying anytime soon, you will be around for awhile.
Good to know. I know I highly value my post-secondary education. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find employment.

In any event, yesterday in either the PG or the Trib I saw an article about an apartment boom about to take place. I thought it was relevant considering the recent discussion about a possible "building boom." I don't know about any building boom, but it looks like the apartments boom (if you want to call it that) is sure to continue...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 1:30 PM

Quote:
...the nations 22nd largest metro (in the next couple years we'll probably be down to 24th largest.)
Good thing I moved here in 2012, otherwise we might have dropped to 25th!

Screw the Sun Belt. It might be temporate there in February, but I'd rather deal with two feet of snow in the winter than 105 degree days with 100% humidity and mosquitos in the summer.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 5:32 PM

Another development for Sliberty area lets hope this one gets finished unlike the condos http://www.popcitymedia.com/devnews/...in+the+life+of...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found5dollar View Post
So i walk buy this building under construction all the time on Ellsworth basically at the intersection with Summerlea. It is three stories tall, made of some sort of poured concrete, and looks like it has between two and three store fronts on the first floor. anyone know anything about it?
I figured it out myself. If anyone else is interested it is a new development called "Bovie House." 5730 Ellsworth Avenue. 4 floor, 4 storefronts, 15 apartments. opening this spring.

good info here:http://boringpittsburgh.com/business...ave-shadyside/

Project site here: http://boviehouse.com

Renders here:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations