HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
And now for something a little different: Does anyone know if there's ever been a plan to illuminate the Cathedral of Learning at night? Holy crap, the view up Forbes Ave. would be unbelievably amazing at night with the Cathedral lit up tastefully!

Aaron (Glowrock)
The cathedral was lit up at night at one time. The top used to glow in a bright orange similar to the way the Fifth Ave Place and the Gulf tower once did.... I sure hope they are going for an LED upgrade...That would be grand. Not sure if you were here during Pittsburgh's festival of lights.. The entire cathedral was lit up in a kaleidoscope of color. One of the most beautiful light displays ever...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:25 PM

The warmer (orange) color temperature would of been High Pressure Sodium lights that were used on the gulf prior to going LED. This technology is largely doing away to LED facade lighting.

I for one would like to see the Cathedral of Learning have a new architectural facade lighting design. However, I hope it isn't these obnoxious LED color wall grazers that are coming very popular now of days. A lot of these products are from Color Kinetics or Ilight that are used on the Gulf, the Randy Pausch Memorial bridge, the Hunt Library at CMU, even the Empire State building is lit using color LEDs now though I never saw it in person yet. It works on some facades, but many facades such as the cathedral I would rather see a warm light LED with a color temp of 3000 Kelvin or something. I am not a fan of all facade lighting look like a techno dance party on E. Even though I have to apply this design to certain buildings as well. The Cathedral would look well done with narrow beam LED Wall Grazers that highlighted the arches and long columns. LED facade lighting is great in not only that you can do all kinds of colors now, but it is a very point source light, so it can illuminate facades on narrow angles for a longer distance. Unlike a HID source that would create a hot spot, LEDs can be much more uniform and light can be aimed much more accurate.

Sorry, I could rant on about lighting forever, and the topic of architectural lighting very rarely ever comes up in these forums. But all in all, I think the most much needed Facade lighting design in Pittsburgh is the Cathedral, and I also fear it will be eventually done with Color LED Wall Grazers which I will not be a fan of. I have a different view of these color facade lighting and it differs even from my boss who was responsible for some of the lighting at CMU.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicalRebel View Post
The warmer (orange) color temperature would of been High Pressure Sodium lights that were used on the gulf prior to going LED. This technology is largely doing away to LED facade lighting.

I for one would like to see the Cathedral of Learning have a new architectural facade lighting design. However, I hope it isn't these obnoxious LED color wall grazers that are coming very popular now of days. A lot of these products are from Color Kinetics or Ilight that are used on the Gulf, the Randy Pausch Memorial bridge, the Hunt Library at CMU, even the Empire State building is lit using color LEDs now though I never saw it in person yet. It works on some facades, but many facades such as the cathedral I would rather see a warm light LED with a color temp of 3000 Kelvin or something. I am not a fan of all facade lighting look like a techno dance party on E. Even though I have to apply this design to certain buildings as well. The Cathedral would look well done with narrow beam LED Wall Grazers that highlighted the arches and long columns. LED facade lighting is great in not only that you can do all kinds of colors now, but it is a very point source light, so it can illuminate facades on narrow angles for a longer distance. Unlike a HID source that would create a hot spot, LEDs can be much more uniform and light can be aimed much more accurate.

Sorry, I could rant on about lighting forever, and the topic of architectural lighting very rarely ever comes up in these forums. But all in all, I think the most much needed Facade lighting design in Pittsburgh is the Cathedral, and I also fear it will be eventually done with Color LED Wall Grazers which I will not be a fan of. I have a different view of these color facade lighting and it differs even from my boss who was responsible for some of the lighting at CMU.
I'm a big fan of how they light up the Woolworth Building in lower Manhattan. Looking at the Manhattan night sky you really get a good idea of the difference between how beautiful lighting of an historic building can be compared to how some newer buildings are light up at night.

I would hope for something like this for the Cathedral:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypip View Post
The cathedral was lit up at night at one time. The top used to glow in a bright orange similar to the way the Fifth Ave Place and the Gulf tower once did.... I sure hope they are going for an LED upgrade...That would be grand. Not sure if you were here during Pittsburgh's festival of lights.. The entire cathedral was lit up in a kaleidoscope of color. One of the most beautiful light displays ever...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:24 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruchaus View Post
I'm a big fan of how they light up the Woolworth Building in lower Manhattan. Looking at the Manhattan night sky you really get a good idea of the difference between how beautiful lighting of an historic building can be compared to how some newer buildings are light up at night.

I would hope for something like this for the Cathedral:

Now THIS is how I'd like the Cathedral of Learning to be illuminated! Not with the crazy-kaleidoscope LED lights, but something classy. A building of its stature deserves some class.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 1:29 AM
Ex Houstonian

I went over to the cathedral today, they said they plan on lighting it soon. Dont know what soon means but at least they will light it up at some point.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Now THIS is how I'd like the Cathedral of Learning to be illuminated! Not with the crazy-kaleidoscope LED lights, but something classy. A building of its stature deserves some class.

Aaron (Glowrock)

That is using Metal Halide lighting with wide beam floods at the base of the top. It most likely would use LED lighting for the long hours, low maintenance, far superior energy use, and many other benefits. With LED grazers as mentioned can better highlight certain architectural detail. These grazers are small and narrow and can be hidden pretty well and highlight the arches really well. It would look awesome. I was driving home from work yesterday down Forbes. Highlighting the elongated arches with narrow beams would be badass and classy, but yes, keep out the LED color changers. The kaleidoscope lighting scene above at the festival of lights was a light projection, not LED lighting fixtures. I just hope it isn't the lighting designer who I think it is, and will make it color LEDs. I would like a warm color temp to almost like a incandescent feel. This would be classy for a old gothic art deco building like the old Cathedral. If always wanted to put this building in my rendering software, but would need it in sketch up first.

Last edited by ShooFlyPie; Feb 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:54 PM
World Class City

I agree that classic / treasured buildings like the Cathedral of Learning in Oakland should be lit up. I also agree with the techno dance party comment. The multi color is good on some applications but warm white light is more tasteful.

Speaking of lighting up buildings I often say that the Richardsonian County Courthouse on Grant should be illuminated as well. It almost looks like a castle in the middle of Downtown and in the evening goes un noticed. I recall watching a wqed history series documentary about Downtown where someone stated that cities always look for their Eiffel tower and that this building was it for Pittsburgh. I think it could be amazing lit up (and renovated too for that matter but that is another topic). However, I once had someone from the historic review commission tell me that would be an abomination??!!! I dont see why...Light her up!!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:10 PM
World Class City

I also have to add that the warm weather yesterday gave me a chance to play hookey and i spent sometime along the new riverfront park in the Southside Works. What a great project! Its a real game changer and successfully ties in the existing southside waterfront park accessible from 18th street. It was a very challenging site with sloping terrain but the design really makes it appear as if the multi levels were intentional and made for a really dynamic space. We really do have a great city here with the potential of getting better all of the time. It got me thinking about the Buncher plan and although i am not a fan, i have to ask, who let the builders of the Hyatt hotel in Southside Works get a pass card? This building leaves alot to be desired. From the renderings i saw from the Buncher plan, the buildings at least looked marginally more exciting than this one does. Then I thought that most likely this is what the reality of our market could bear at this time, with the concept at least in the right direction and moving the city forward and attracting future, better quality investments.

Also, not to bring up my color snob comments again, but as nice as the Southside riverfront is coming along, I cant get past that ugly sea foam institutional green color on the Birmingham Bridge. Out of the infinite choices of colors these days I hope we can get beyond these traditional bridge colors for future bridge revitalization projects. We are the City of Bridges for Heaven's sake, what better way to celebrate that with some more sophisticated finish selections, lighting, etc.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Let's light up K&L GATES so we can revel in its redness all night long

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:15 PM

East Edge, I agree—the courthouse should be lit. Not just because it's awesome, but because I think it would lend itself very well to being lit, given its inordinate amount of texture. Each block protrudes so much, it would look awesome. They had just the bell-tower out front lit with two dinky lights (one red, one green, shining straight up the shaft of it), and even that looked cool. Imagine if they used lights on the Frick building's roof to supplement whatever was at ground-level.

And while we're on the topic of lighting Pittsburgh buildings, I have to say that I think the stupid, ever-changing pastel stripes on the Gulf Building are an insult to a beautiful Art-Deco skyscraper. The idea of reviving the weather-forecasting function of its pyramid is a nice one, but come on. The simpler code of the past was easier to commit to memory, easier to discern from afar, and much more flattering. Koppers still looks so elegant.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:24 PM

And, East Edge, two more things I wanna agree with you on:

1.) That new hotel along the trail on the Southside is so bad. I almost fell off my bike the first time I saw it. Blander than bland. I'd rather see an empty lot. Gag.

2.) You're right about the Birmingham Bridge. In addition to its being too wide (I know, as a result of what was originally planned for it), and its not being particularly attractive or interesting, that color is so depressing. If you stand with your back to it, and look at the buildings on Carson, you think, "Such beautiful, revitalized architecture. What a great comeback this neighborhood made." Then you see that color, especially on a dreary, gray day, when the Monongahela is really brown, and it's like the fucking opening credits of "All in the Family." Hopefully, when they paint it next, they won't just insist on keeping with tradition. I'd be very interested to know if the neighbors feel this way, and if maybe they've let The Powers That Be know ahead of time.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:49 PM

"Shopping versus dining Downtown"

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Woods View Post
2.) You're right about the Birmingham Bridge. In addition to its being too wide (I know, as a result of what was originally planned for it), and its not being particularly attractive or interesting, that color is so depressing. If you stand with your back to it, and look at the buildings on Carson, you think, "Such beautiful, revitalized architecture. What a great comeback this neighborhood made." Then you see that color, especially on a dreary, gray day, when the Monongahela is really brown, and it's like the fucking opening credits of "All in the Family." Hopefully, when they paint it next, they won't just insist on keeping with tradition. I'd be very interested to know if the neighbors feel this way, and if maybe they've let The Powers That Be know ahead of time.
I drive across Birmingham every morning on my way to work and agree about the color and the width every time. I know we have plenty of them, but I wouldn't mind seeing it repainted yellow like so many of the others. I also often wonder about the possibility of converting 2 lanes into tracks for the T... obviously far on the future...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 8:04 PM
Eurosceptic

I too want to agree with East Edge's points.

And George Woods: Great "All in the Family" reference... quite vivid imagery.

speaking of bridges... the crucial Highland Bridge connecting East Liberty and Shadyside (aka EastSide!) will be replaced this year.

Now:

Future:

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/news/t...n-with-the-new

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:01 PM

Although I'd love to see more historical buildings being lit, I have to say I'm much more interested in getting all the bridges in Pittsburgh lit with artistic lighting. I was so excited to see what they were going to do with the Hot Metal Bridge, and man was that a disappointment. The 6th Street Bridge is cool with the little blue LEDs leading to PNC Park, it would be awesome if we could get all the bridges lit up.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:08 PM
World Class City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I too want to agree with East Edge's points.

And George Woods: Great "All in the Family" reference... quite vivid imagery.

speaking of bridges... the crucial Highland Bridge connecting East Liberty and Shadyside (aka EastSide!) will be replaced this year.

Now:

Future:

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/news/t...n-with-the-new
I have been keeping an eye on this project, it is way cool. What a transformation. The faded red paint on the existing bridge picture looks hauntingly similar to the K&L Gates building, but you probably like that PD.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:09 PM
BANNED

^ Indeed. Actually, when they were cleaning the Cathedral of Learning of the soot a handful of years ago, I always thought that they should have instead slathered that sucker in a nice coat of faded red paint.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:20 PM

The idea of lighting up all the bridges was a pretty big topic about 20 years ago. I don't know what happened with that effort.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...+bridges&hl=en

It wouldn't need to be extravagant. Just outlining the bridges with bulbs such as Smithfield or NYC bridges would be great.

I like the green on the Birmingham Bridge. Its green arc matches the nearby green rolling hills quite nicely. Does every bridge need to be yellow? Maybe paint it brown to match the river .

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:26 PM
Flood City

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
I agree that classic / treasured buildings like the Cathedral of Learning in Oakland should be lit up. I also agree with the techno dance party comment. The multi color is good on some applications but warm white light is more tasteful.

Speaking of lighting up buildings I often say that the Richardsonian County Courthouse on Grant should be illuminated as well. It almost looks like a castle in the middle of Downtown and in the evening goes un noticed. I recall watching a wqed history series documentary about Downtown where someone stated that cities always look for their Eiffel tower and that this building was it for Pittsburgh. I think it could be amazing lit up (and renovated too for that matter but that is another topic). However, I once had someone from the historic review commission tell me that would be an abomination??!!! I dont see why...Light her up!!
Agreed on all counts! Allegheny County Courthouse reminds me of Medieval castles I've visited in the UK. They light those babies up, and they look AMAZING!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations