HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:09 PM
Oak City

Charlotte from the top of the Duke Energy Center. Also, food trucks.

Photos of Charlotte from atop the 239.7 m/786 feet tall Duke Energy Center. I was invited to attend an arts fundraiser by someone who knew I like to photograph Charlotte from new and interesting locations. But first, some photos of the food truck rodeo.

7th Street station

Buskers

There is a food truck rodeo in center city on Thursday evenings maybe twice a month. They also have one in Southend maybe on Fridays.

All right, time to head to the Duke Energy Center.

This is a photo of the DEC from my last visit:

The event space on the 46th floor.

Here you can see the 47th and 48th floors in this atrium. The 49th and 50th floors are mechanical, and then the building's "handle" is on top.

Annnnnnd here's the view of the city looking northeast:

This is a pano stitched together. The large dirt patch towards the bottom left is the Romare Bearden Park construction.

The Vue:

A better look at 400 South Tryon and Three Wells Fargo:

400 South Tryon up close:

The fins atop Three Wells Fargo change color in the light:

Catalyst with the dirt lot of the future park behind it.

Packard Place is a co-working, meeting, and event space for entrepreneurs and start ups.

A little bit of density:

Time Warner Cable arena and housing in First Ward:

The Vue, Trademark, and Carillon Tower:

Housing in Fourth Ward:

129 West Trade, built in 1958. Only building from the 50s or 60's that hasn't been reclad at least once.

Along Tryon street. In the center is the Courtyard hotel, just above that is South Tryon Square, built in 1961 but reclad in 1999 and just below it is what was originally known as the Jefferson Standard Life Building (now Wells Fargo Main). It was built in 1955, reclad, reclad again, and now it's third reclad and renovation was done in 2004.

Further north along Tryon street. Hey, a brick building! That's Hall House, completed in 1929. Just below that is the main branch of the public library.

The king and queen buildings, Bank of America Corporate Headquarters and Hearst Tower.

Skye condos, hotel (brand TBD, possibly Hyatt), and rooftop restaurant under construction:

Looking up Graham Street towards my old hood. I used to work in one of the buildings in the top left of the photo.

One Wells Fargo Center. The "jukebox" was tallest in the city from 1988 to 1992 when BofA was completed.

Turning more to the right here is all of Second Ward. Here you will find the convention center, NASCAR Hall of Fame, most of the city and county offices, and outside of center city, further off, you can see the Elizabeth neighborhood with Central Piedmont Community College and Presbyterian Hospital.

Charlotte Convention Center with the NASCAR Hall of Fame and ballroom above it. Notice the light rail line passing through the convention center. The grassy lots in the upper right were where some ramps for I-277 were moved, freeing up a few lots the city can now sell.

In the Elizabeth neighborhood, some office buildings next to the Presbyterian hospital, which is left of this photo.

Looking left, here is Presbyterian hospital. Below it you can see part of CPCC. The first leg of the new streetcar line will connect center city (next to Time Warner Cable arena) with CPCC and will stop (for now) in front of Presbyterian. When Elizabeth Avenue was redesigns a couple of years ago they went ahead and installed the track in the road for the streetcar line. Now that they have a federal grant construction should happen within a year.

Look left some more, you can see more of Elizabeth, CPCC, and the old Memorial Stadium which is now home to the Charlotte Hounds of Major League Lacrosse.

Off in the distance you can see central Plaza-Midwood, one of the places for trendy urban shops, restaurants, and assorted hipster activity.

Back in 2nd Ward here is the government center, jail, courts, etc. In the very top left you can see Memorial Stadium and in the top right you can see part of CPCC including Halton Auditorium.

The Blake hotel. This was know forever as the Adam's Mark hotel. Built in 1973.

Another look at 2nd Ward, Elizabeth, and Plaza-Midwood off in the distance in the top left.

Looking more to the right of 2nd ward we see Metropolitan Midtown, a mixed use development just outside center city:

Looking more to the right is the neighborhood of Dilworth. In the top of the photo is the main campus of Carolinas Medical Center, in the center are buildings along Morehead Street. And in the bottom is the Royal Court Condos.

Looking down you see the light rail line crossing I-277. I-277 separates center city from Dilworth/South End.

After crossing the bridge it passes Gateway apartments.

Next it passes the Arlington (aka Pepto tower) in Southend and other residential developments.

TOD everywhere in Southend!

Still further away you see the light rail line running through Southend. Here they are stopped at East/West Blvd. station.

Off in the distance, Southpark. About 6 or so miles away.

Further in the distance, Ballantyne, about 14 miles or so. It's a sprawling mess of office park and suburban hell.

We've finally made our way to the other side of the building. The 46th floor is nothing but meeting rooms and event space. This building was designed as a bank headquarters so security is too tight for there to be an observation deck or restaurant open to the public up here, which is a shame.

Looking down at Bank of America stadium. This building lights up for every Panthers touchdown. Which is a little more often than usual now that they have Cam Newton. This is where President Obama will accept his renomination for President of the United States, and more importantly, Cam Newton will lead the Panthers back to the playoffs this season.

Looking down on the 440 South Church building aka the Ally Bank building. Empty lot at the top of the photo is the future home of the Charlotte Knights AAA baseball stadium.

More to the right is the Gateway village area of center city. This includes the campus of Johnson and Wales University, with culinary and hospitality programs. Along the top of the photo is the campus of Johnson C. Smith University, an HBCU.

Sunset.

We've walked all the way around the 46th floor.

One last pano of Charlotte:

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:20 PM
DENNAB

Nice pics!

I love that building, America's own little Shanghai World Financial Center.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:24 PM
Babylon falling

Excellent tour of Charlotte, looks like they are really getting their TOD on! Thanks for the commentary.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Thanks for sharing these!

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 7:09 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Excellent.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 10:15 PM

Awesome shots of ye old stomping grounds!

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 11:23 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Nice shots.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:18 PM
Red October standing by

nifty. thanks for the pics

-

-fflint

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:35 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thank you so much for the pictures!

I like very much those aerial views of Charlotte from that building. I see Charlotte as a great city, very green. I like it. Very nice buildings.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 5:48 PM
Illustrator, editor

Great skyline with nice buildings and greenery! The atrium in the sky is cool architecture.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 10:06 PM

Charlotte is so green! Nice pics too!

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 10:12 PM
marcus

Such a beautiful building! That floor looks great! and what a view

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:46 AM

This was an awesome tour! Charlotte's looking very good!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 1:59 AM

One of the cleanest skylines in the nation.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:15 PM
Gatinois et fier

cool pics!

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 485 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 1:33 AM

Charlottle looks pretty damn good and seems to only be getting better.
I mean I literally don't know a thing about the place but only from the pics posted here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos