HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 6:54 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

A few photos downtown tonight

These aren't great, but I thought I'd share. I've never taken photos at night before and I was using an old Canon Powershot A640. Any tips on what settings to use for the next time I try?

Larger sizes on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92129138@N04/ (Just got flickr and haven't figured it out yet)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Dig the lens flare just beyond the traffic on this one!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 7:43 AM
Meh

Nighttime photography is tricky. Lighting conditions can change from one photo to the next depending on how much light there is. You can be somewhere where it's dark, but have something change the lighting like say car headlights from a nearby street. On cloudy nights, they can change the lighting, too, since clouds reflect light from the ground. So if it's a night where it's partly cloudy where there are gaps in the clouds, and they're zipping past and from one shot to the next you might have clouds in one and none or few in the other. That can change the lighting since clouds reflect light.

Usually I set up my tripod and shoot with an aperture of around F4 to F5, and then I set the shutter speed between 2 and 4 seconds. Really there is no exact setting that will work for all lighting conditions, even at night. You really just have to find a range and work within it to find the best setting.

You might also have a nighttime setting on your camera that will let you shoot different scenes. Sometimes nighttime photography isn't dark like a skyline shot in a park, sometimes it's pretty bright like on a sidewalk on Congress with car headlights, street and traffic lights, or looking at something like store windows or neon lights.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 7:33 PM
Rising into view

Are you using a tripod? I think the first thing you should do is take level pictures or make them level in an editor.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 8:07 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Yes, I'm using a tripod. A couple of those, I kept the slanted view because I liked it. Especially the one from the river bank with the limbs in the shot. I could do a better job adjusting the legs when on uneven ground. I rarely found any even ground. Not even on the pedestrian bridge for that shot with the traffic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin