HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Lincoln Park 2520 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:55 PM
THAT Guy

Lincoln Park by el daybeh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Believe it or not, but from my count this building still has an additional 2-4 floors to grow from the top of the forms (not the core) before it's topped out. I counted and got 36 full floors and 37 or 38 to the core. That's not including the ridiculous 2 story mansard that I'm sure this will be topped with. This building is HUGE...

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:37 PM
ParanoidAndroid

This thing really is huge- I can see it from the blue line in Bucktown and it's almost like an optical illusion the way it hulks over the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 11:40 AM

T/O is imminent - they are erecting the mansard floor/floors/penthouse now. You don't see "bent" columns like that every day.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:16 AM
tilted & shifted

Taken on 6/14:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:35 AM

Is it just me or does this seem quite a bit taller than what we originally thought it was suppose to be? For some reason I thought it would barely make the height of the 2 towers to the north of it and now it seems to have surpassed them by about 5 or 6 floors?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 10:38 AM

I think it's a good thing that the slightly higher position on the skyline moves the focal point off of the Loewenberg to the north, the other tower just north of that, and the 70s-looking box to the south; those aren't necessarily all bad but the protruding mechanical penthouses grate on me. It's interesting -- I think it was FLW who said an architect's only recourse after a failure is to "plant vines," but in fact planting a taller tower that draws in the eye somewhere nearby can accomplish almost the same thing. I remember having this same reaction when The Columbian was built on Roosevelt almost next to Loewenberg's 1130 South Michigan. Neither The Columbian nor LP2520 are laudable works of art, but for me they do the trick of cloaking something I didn't care for and always worried would bug me forever.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:03 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Great point. One of the reasons I was excited about the now defunct Waterview is because it would've served to deflect my gaze from 77 W. Wacker (United building).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 3:12 AM
dream fast

6-18

iphone pic @ dusk

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 5:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

It seems like this is about the only real modern tower built in this area along the park. It looks like most of the tallerish buildings along the park and north of downtown along the lakefront all date from the 50s-70s, and some 1920s towers thrown in for good measure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 7:22 PM

^ It would be interesting to see a development history of that part of the city - how, who, why, when. It must have been dramatic seeing all these "futuristic" towers sprouting up one after the other, up the lake all the way to Devon. I wonder if they were all regarded as great architecture then.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 12:10 AM

Tonight

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ It would be interesting to see a development history of that part of the city - how, who, why, when. It must have been dramatic seeing all these "futuristic" towers sprouting up one after the other, up the lake all the way to Devon. I wonder if they were all regarded as great architecture then.
I've thought about this before. My guess is they probably viewed these buildings the same way we view the boring glass boxes and beige podium towers that dotted our downtown in the 90's and 00's. Likewise, some probably found the JHC inspiring or controversial just like the Chicago Spire.

It's funny how I'm speaking as if this is ancient history. I'm sure there's plenty of folks around here who saw some of these buildings go up in their time.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 6:11 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The three-color scheme looks like someone spilled different jars of baby food on the facade.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm sure there's plenty of folks around here who saw some of these buildings go up in their time.
Seriously, I think an architecture student or anyone else passionate about buildings here over the decades should undertake to interview the architects and developers involved, and assemble photos etc., and maybe put together a book or something. It would not be a huge money making endeavor, but could be a great project or thesis or dissertation or something. Talk to the residents themselves as well, etc.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
looks like someone spilled different jars of baby food on the facade.
I think a lot of people here would like to use that description for other parts of the city too. Maybe insert "certified pre-owned" before "baby food", in some cases, if you get my drift.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:02 PM
dream fast

6-29

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 6:27 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Yikes. The backside of this tower is pretty bad.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 8:53 PM

^ Just the backside? Seriously, this thing is going to look so weird when it's finished.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:21 PM
Future God

This looks like a new "luxury western style" condo tower you'd see being built in some place like Dhaka or Calcutta.

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive