HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 5:34 PM
Scraper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
...possibly an Urban Outfitters & Victoria's Secret as well.
Urban Outfitters would be great! I love that store... it's so good for buying random birthday presents and stocking stuffers. *fingers crossed*

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_imperial View Post
Urban Outfitters would be great! I love that store... it's so good for buying random birthday presents and stocking stuffers. *fingers crossed*
Agreed, love that store for all the random stock for gifts ... and personal purchases too of course, lol. There's a store in Calgary that carries a lot of the same toys that Urban Outfitters does in Art Central too, Nation toys and tees. It's pretty great for random and unique gifts.

Stoked for the list of new stores in Chinook too, it's shaping up to be quite the expansion. Although the core looks amazing, the stores they're adding to the mix are borrrrrrinnnngggggg and duplicates of stores in other malls. Looks like Chinook is really listening to what their shoppers want.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:25 PM

I agree Cityscape...The Core seems to be struggling a bit to attract new-to-market retailers. Aside from the uber high end options available at Holt Renfrew, there is not much there that can't be found more easily at either Market or Chinook. The initial idea was that The Core would be home to high end flagship stores, but in today's reality that is not going to happen. H&M bailed out on its store there, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, and Coach all happily agreed to maintain their small shop-in-shop spaces at Holts rather than venturing out on their own, and leasing progress looks slow in general. Meanwhile Chinook is signing deal after deal, gaining momentum and co-tenancies that no other Calgary centre can compete with.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:37 AM

Rumour has it that Nordstrom is looking to open a store in Vancouver, so hopefully Calgary will be next on the list if this is true.

How great would a Nordstrom store look in the south block of the Bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
I agree Cityscape...The Core seems to be struggling a bit to attract new-to-market retailers. Aside from the uber high end options available at Holt Renfrew, there is not much there that can't be found more easily at either Market or Chinook. The initial idea was that The Core would be home to high end flagship stores, but in today's reality that is not going to happen. H&M bailed out on its store there, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, and Coach all happily agreed to maintain their small shop-in-shop spaces at Holts rather than venturing out on their own, and leasing progress looks slow in general. Meanwhile Chinook is signing deal after deal, gaining momentum and co-tenancies that no other Calgary centre can compete with.
At least we still have Brooks Brothers to look forward to, perhaps other retailers are waiting out the renovation to before they sign a deal. Didn't they already advertise that H&M would be opening in there?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 4:09 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post

At least we still have Brooks Brothers to look forward to, perhaps other retailers are waiting out the renovation to before they sign a deal. Didn't they already advertise that H&M would be opening in there?
Until recently I wouldn't have been remotely excited about Brooks Brothers, because I'm not ever planning on running for Secretary Treasurer of the local Young Republicans chapter... but then someone recommended their boxer briefs to me, and lets just say I don't think I could ever let lesser underthings touch my naughty bits.

Buy them on sale.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 1:27 PM

The Core website listed H&M as a "coming soon" tenant for quite some time, and then even announced a "November 2009" opening, shortly after Holts opened. H&M listed jobs for the new store on their website. At one point they even had a huge 2-storey hoarding up that showed what the facade of the store would look like. Needless to say, H&M backed away from the deal. The huge 2-level space they were going into has been collecting dust for months. I think they are still negotiating but as of now, not confirmed.

That said, the 3-level Brooks Brothers is coming along nicely...the hoardings have come down and the shopfronts are quite impressive. They just need a few more key retailers to sign on...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:16 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
The Core website listed H&M as a "coming soon" tenant for quite some time, and then even announced a "November 2009" opening, shortly after Holts opened. H&M listed jobs for the new store on their website. At one point they even had a huge 2-storey hoarding up that showed what the facade of the store would look like. Needless to say, H&M backed away from the deal. The huge 2-level space they were going into has been collecting dust for months. I think they are still negotiating but as of now, not confirmed.
I wonder what is going on with H&M.

They were hiring for the Polo Park mall in Winnipeg a few months back, but then pulled out at the last minute as well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

They were hiring for the Polo Park mall in Winnipeg a few months back, but then pulled out at the last minute as well.
People have figured out their clothes are fucking ugly!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 2:05 PM

Anthropologie going into Chinook Expansion

Anthropologie is opening at Chinook this fall - according to their new job postings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 1:22 AM
Realtor

New movie theatre opens at CIM - June 30

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 3:42 AM

It sure would be nice to hear about what restaurants are going in there. Last I heard they still hadn't found any tenants yet.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 4:52 AM
Realtor

Just a Boston Pizza so far, is what I've heard.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 2:00 PM

Hopefully that's just a rumor. May as well put a Macdonalds in.

I hear that Toyota is building North Americas largest dealership up at Stoney Trail Auto Mall.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsgongshow View Post
I hear that Toyota is building North Americas largest dealership up at Stoney Trail Auto Mall.
I'm guessing you mean up across from the Spy Hill landfill? Not too surprising that they'd at least go in there, last I was up there it was up to 3 dealerships (Audi, Mazda and Nissan) built so far.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 5:32 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Not to be NIMBY-sounding, but yeesh. The last thing I wanted next to my neighbourhood was a frigging auto mall.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have a problem with it being located close, I just wish they'd build something ELSE instead. Car dealerships have zero need to be located close to residential (it's not like it's a walkable destination considering what they sell - and how often does a person go there anyway?), but there's plenty of other retail that I'd prefer instead.

What an incredible waste of near-residential space. Especially considering the landfill and the prisons take up so much already. Ah well, I guess from a certain point of view, these places ARE in the "middle of nowhere" so it makes sense.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 9:52 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I don't think that opposing a car dealership is NIMBY at all.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 11:03 PM

I think the thing is with the landfill being across the street I doubt there is too much retail that would see the area as being attractive, especially east of 76th Street (where the Nissan dealer is). Considering so far all thats gone in the area are the car dealerships, the self storage place, the bottle depot, a paint store and the liquor store (at least last time I was up there). The westerly part I think will have a lot more diverse selection of uses, but its also partially zoned light industrial from what I recall so its not likely to be lots of retail stores.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 3:34 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I'm guessing you mean up across from the Spy Hill landfill? Not too surprising that they'd at least go in there, last I was up there it was up to 3 dealerships (Audi, Mazda and Nissan) built so far.
Is the Mazda dealership up there owned by the same asshole family as all the others in town?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Not to be NIMBY-sounding, but yeesh. The last thing I wanted next to my neighbourhood was a frigging auto mall.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have a problem with it being located close, I just wish they'd build something ELSE instead. Car dealerships have zero need to be located close to residential (it's not like it's a walkable destination considering what they sell - and how often does a person go there anyway?), but there's plenty of other retail that I'd prefer instead.

What an incredible waste of near-residential space. Especially considering the landfill and the prisons take up so much already. Ah well, I guess from a certain point of view, these places ARE in the "middle of nowhere" so it makes sense.
I remember how pissed I was when they cleared that little forrest out up there to develop that area.

I heard a rumor that now that the street has been routed further east the Royal Oak Wal-Mart wants to expand to a Supercenter.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
I remember how pissed I was when they cleared that little forrest out up there to develop that area.

I heard a rumor that now that the street has been routed further east the Royal Oak Wal-Mart wants to expand to a Supercenter.
I had suspected that might happen, and the city's site shows that property is C/S (along with almost every other site in there). Due to the odd shape if thats what happens I'd expect Walmart to expand southward on their existing lot and use part of the new property to replace the parking they'd build over most likely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy