HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:46 PM

LOL it looks quiet on the badly positioned webcam, or atleast they should have another webcam on Francisco street somewhere, but the site was active as late as yesterday. I know because I was strolling through going to my friends house downtown. There is a lot of action happening on the south wall. The problem is we cant see on the webcam because the view is blocked but there was still 2 earth movers on site pushing dirt against the wall and some dudes were welding the shoring beams. so still active. Just poorly positioned webcam, or lack of another webcam, now how active is it today may be a different story.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
There is a lot of action happening on the south wall.
There is ZERO action happening anywhere on the site, there aren't even any new tire tracks for several days, and even if the project is totally cancelled they would have been required to finish bracing that south wall so that it didn't create a cave in hazard, so work on that means nothing.

I don't see any building materials or heavy equipment being staged for upcoming work, just two small earthmovers and one forklift, one skyjack, a dumpster, a couple small storage sheds, and one office trailer, all sitting idle.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:42 PM

Everyone needs to relax. The permits were issued for the initial work and now they are waiting for the permits for the next phase. The overreaction to a couple days of stagnation is mind boggling. I know we are all excited and passionate about these projects, but its not all doom and gloom.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 6:50 PM

^Yup.

LADBS has not issued permits anything beyond excavation and shoring work at this point in time.

Greenland originally received permits for foundation work back in June, but had to start the process over after revising plans. Permit application was submitted on 9/24, and is in the verification process as of this Monday 10/24.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
There is ZERO action happening anywhere on the site, there aren't even any new tire tracks for several days, and even if the project is totally cancelled they would have been required to finish bracing that south wall so that it didn't create a cave in hazard, so work on that means nothing.

I don't see any building materials or heavy equipment being staged for upcoming work, just two small earthmovers and one forklift, one skyjack, a dumpster, a couple small storage sheds, and one office trailer, all sitting idle.

LOL As I said and everyone else has said. The site is still active. Just because you cant see it on the badly angled webcam doesn't mean its sitting quite. Theres actually a whole section you cant see on the webcam, I would say 10-15% of the excavation site cant be seen on the webcam. I think some of you guys need to get out from behind the computer screens and actually take a stroll through the city to actually see projects up close like I did when pictures and webcams just weren't cutting it !!!. The Wilshire Grand for example is a mega site compared to what is seen on the screen, I mean its massive in person.

I highly doubt Greenland wound go through all this trouble of purchasing, titles, permits and contracting to dig out all the dirt to just say "eh we changed our minds after all" Greenland has already said the first phase is a for sure thing. Phase 2 is what we need to be edgy about. So yes, WITH MY OWN EYES, NOT A WEBCAM, NOT COUNTING THE TIRE TRACKS, Some earth movers doing what their names say and guys welding on the south wall is better than no action at all. People need to know the permits and processes it take to actually build these buildings, espeacially in the city of LA. Cant just walk to city hall and say "mayor we are going to build a 60 story building here ok?" and start building. The process in LA sucks, which why even the smallest of buildings take forever to get completed. Metropolis is still active and moving. There was a time when the Wilshire grand webcam barely changed over a month or 2 before the big pour happened and everybody cried the sky was falling. How high has it gotten now ???? everyone chill, patience is everything

The people saying it hasn't changed in weeks........over exaggerating much ??? the cut outs for each building happened last week. a couple of days of no major action and Some people think the project has been canceled???? LOL shoot me

OH and when I walked by a couple of days ago, the Storage shed was open with 2 guys standing in front and that office trailer was a buzz on the inside with guys, couple of guys went in and out. So as they say in Hollywood. "Sometimes the camera knows how to lie and fool the viewers". looking at still pictures, not even video footage, and able to make full assumptions?? that's how rumors of projects being canceled begin lol.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Everyone needs to relax. The permits were issued for the initial work and now they are waiting for the permits for the next phase. The overreaction to a couple days of stagnation is mind boggling. I know we are all excited and passionate about these projects, but its not all doom and gloom.
THANK YOU !

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 7:15 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Covering projects in China, I can tell you that Greenland does not f around. They get projects up and running fast. This isn't an American developer that we are dealing with. Its a Chinese company, and the Chinese don't play around. Want a whole city built in 5 years? Call the Chinese.

Expect such operations to run smoothly. This project will be pretty significant. One of my favorites currently in L.A.. And, its normal for such sites to sit without activity for a couple of days. Patience people.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 4:50 PM

^^^ Thank you !

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:15 AM

Oh LOOK ! movement on the site today, new tire tracks to report about LOL. Can anyone notice the difference between yesterdays and todays image? besides the obvious. *Hint* something installed in the top left corner of the site, any idea what that is ? any engineers in the room?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:34 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Oh LOOK ! movement on the site today, new tire tracks to report about LOL. Can anyone notice the difference between yesterdays and todays image? besides the obvious. *Hint* something installed in the top left corner of the site, any idea what that is ? any engineers in the room?

-sb

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 10:05 PM

These models look insanely detailed and well done. I wonder how much it costs to get that done.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:05 PM

So.......lots of trucks on site. tons of Rebar. Guys running around. Drill bits. NEW TIRE TRACKS ! And you guys were worried because ??????????

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Webcam shows piles in the ground, so I moved this to the construction forum. Bananas will dance.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:21 PM

Excellent! Now to get phase 2 started.. if i recall correctly, i think i saw a public notice on the 8th street side a couple weeks ago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Webcam shows piles in the ground, so I moved this to the construction forum. Bananas will dance.

/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 6:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Work is well underway on putting piles in the ground for both towers, though they've only laid a few in the ground thus far. That being said, they are slowly picking up speed as the days go on.

Looking at the web cam and thinking about it a bit, I'll offer some speculation. My thought is that if Greenland submitted plans for both phases of the project to LADBS at the same time, and LADBS is reviewing plans for the 2nd phase now, and could have them approved in the next few months, we could see construction begin on the 2nd phase as soon as the parking garage across the street is opens up (which I would assume could be as early as January, or as late as March). My reasoning here is that the parking lot still operating on the Phase 2 portion is still a revenue driver for Joe's (who I believe will be operating the parking garage), and that there's likely an agreement in place to keep the surface lot open until the garage can take up that demand.

Again, just speculation, but it seems reasonable to assume.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:09 PM

It's pretty good speculation. 801 fig is required to provide a certain number of parking spaces within a short radius (I don't remember the specific numbers) so I'm pretty sure that once the structure opens, phase 2 will begin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Excellent! Now to get phase 2 started.. if i recall correctly, i think i saw a public notice on the 8th street side a couple weeks ago.
Yes, that was and is the goal.

Why should they wait? We have a few projects going on in L.A.. Like I wrote before.. The early bird catches the worm.
According to real estate and global market watchers, it may also just be the start of a flood of cash from China into Downtown.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Work is well underway on putting piles in the ground for both towers, though they've only laid a few in the ground thus far. That being said, they are slowly picking up speed as the days go on.

Looking at the web cam and thinking about it a bit, I'll offer some speculation. My thought is that if Greenland submitted plans for both phases of the project to LADBS at the same time, and LADBS is reviewing plans for the 2nd phase now, and could have them approved in the next few months, we could see construction begin on the 2nd phase as soon as the parking garage across the street is opens up (which I would assume could be as early as January, or as late as March). My reasoning here is that the parking lot still operating on the Phase 2 portion is still a revenue driver for Joe's (who I believe will be operating the parking garage), and that there's likely an agreement in place to keep the surface lot open until the garage can take up that demand.

Again, just speculation, but it seems reasonable to assume.
This sounds about right to me. Greenland submitted phase two plans to LADBS in early October, which is in line with their proposed 2015 groundbreaking date.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:49 PM

What is that square with those pillars on the site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive