HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
NICE. It actually looks like a breath of fresh air; I'm so sick of blue or green glass boxes on top of podiums.

Build it already!
Yes build it now. There is a Zushi coming to Bunker Hill. used to be one in Pasadena but closed down. Also a J. Threads wow. Must be a fancy high end Hot Cotoorr shop. and an Equinox. but I prefer 24hr with pool like in Pasadena

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:42 PM

https://la.curbed.com/2017/8/15/1615...ve-plans-filed

Not the design I was expecting, nor do I know if I like it, however it is unique.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post

Not the design I was expecting, nor do I know if I like it, however it is unique.
Oh, yeah, that's uh pretty, uh, yeah.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:48 PM

I do think that it captures some of LA's mid century aesthetic very well, but the material used will either make or brake this project.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 10:51 PM
Paramoderator

ODA normally does good work in NY, I wouldn't worry about the materials. Not sure how I feel about the tower in general though... I expect the design to change anyway.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:16 PM

It's different and not too crazy. Thumbs up, but I think they will change the final design.

Did you see the South Loop project in Chicago or the 701 Fourth Ave project (100+ stories) in Seattle?
I would love to see those towers in Los Angeles. Crescent Heights is very ambitious.
It will take a few years anyway. They did a good job in Century City.

South Park has so much potential.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Aug 15, 2017 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:33 PM

This is huge! I wish the pic was posted.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 11:53 PM

Yay!! It's the new Park 5th!!! Crescent Heights does fantastic work. I'm super impressed with their century city tower.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:15 AM

It reminds me of that green skyscraper that was supposed to go up on Grand Ave in South Park back in '07. That proposed skyscraper is obviously dead but I'm pretty excited since it resembles a lot like it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:53 AM

A year ago...

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:07 AM
Ascension

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:54 AM

Quote:

In case someone is planning to make a thread for this, the tower's height is 810 feet. The figure from the article is incorrect.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 2:40 AM

^ I have mixed reactions about such ambitious projs like those in dtla at this time, or any time. There have been so many false starts & false proposals through the yrs, that it's hard to take them seriously until construction crews & equipment are actually out on the site. But it will be quite impressive if the owner of that proposed tower has the ability to get it underway before everyone is old & gray....greatly dependent on his knowing for certain that dt has the ability to absorb all the new inventory they'd like to build.

Quote:
U.S.C. Expands in a ‘Neglected’ Neighborhood, Promising Jobs and More

By LAUREN HERSTIK
AUG. 15, 2017

The clock tower at the McCarthy Honors College overlooks the central plaza of the campus extension.
Credit Carlos Gonzalez for The New York Times

LOS ANGELES — When the University of Southern California’s campus extension opens in South Los Angeles on Thursday, it will not just welcome 2,700 new college students. It will also be an ambitious test of a public-private partnership hoping to remake a historically underserved neighborhood.

The $700 million USC Village is a sprawling addition to the university, extending across 15 acres as part of the school’s efforts to expand the availability of student housing and increase the amount of academic space it has. The university broke ground on the project in September 2014, part of a $6 billion campaign to bolster its endowment, scholarships, research funds and overall investment.

The project’s scale is enormous, adding a total of three million square feet of student housing, retail, academic and green space. When it opens, it will effectively have added a neighborhood’s worth of stores, including 15 restaurants, a pharmacy, a Trader Joe’s grocery store and a Target. There will be more than 250 trees, nearly 500 underground parking spaces and about 1,500 bike racks.

A hallway map at the Cale & Irani College displays the village layout, highlighting options for shopping and eating.
Credit Carlos Gonzalez for The New York Times

Though South Los Angeles lies near the city’s booming downtown and the ascendant neighborhood of Inglewood, it has seen little development in past decades. The area was hit by bouts of racial violence in the 1950s and 1960s, setting off a “white flight” that was followed by an exodus of African-Americans after the city’s 1992 riots. Now mostly Latino, South Los Angeles’s two City Council districts are the poorest in the city.

The project has been built to fit in with U.S.C.’s overall aesthetic. Low-slung red brick buildings with a Gothic exterior are grouped around an open public square and a clock tower. Tree-lined avenues lead into the center.

USC Village is one of several substantial construction projects in the neighborhood. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, in Exposition Park adjacent to the university, will undergo renovations after the coming N.F.L. season, and the soccer-specific Banc of California Stadium is being built for the Los Angeles Football Club. Both will be used, along with existing facilities, for the 2028 Summer Olympics, for which Los Angeles was recently picked as host city.

A demolished building across the street from Memorial Coliseum. Credit Carlos Gonzalez for The New York Times

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
ODA normally does good work in NY, I wouldn't worry about the materials. Not sure how I feel about the tower in general though... I expect the design to change anyway.
I’m really impressed with a lot of their work, or at least renderings. My skepticism stems from there being a lot of renderings but few works actually becoming reality. Many of the works they’ve completed have been renovations, albeit really good renovations. But nothing completed at the scale of this project.

What I really like is the sensitivity they give to designing balcony space for all of their units. It’s seamless, unlike those clumsy protrusions like those on the Whole Foods building.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post

The middle part though...... why.... just why..

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 6:52 AM

I'm not sure what the complaints could be about...it's like you all just criticize any little thing. I'm like are you happy at home? The balconies with this tower would be a first for DTLA, and I'm talking about wrap around balconies. Not to be ugly, but in my experience...the people who can't afford, typically have the most issues with things.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
The middle part though...... why.... just why..
I think that's the best part of the tower.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I'm not sure what the complaints could be about...it's like you all just criticize any little thing. I'm like are you happy at home? The balconies with this tower would be a first for DTLA, and I'm talking about wrap around balconies. Not to be ugly, but in my experience...the people who can't afford, typically have the most issues with things.
I’m assuming that’s toward my post since I mentioned the balconies, but read my post carefully. And even if I did have a problem with the balconies, just stop. I notice your comments always take things too personal, get insulting, childish and ugly when you disagree with someone.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
I’m assuming that’s toward my post since I mentioned the balconies, but read my post carefully. And even if I did have a problem with the balconies, just stop. I notice your comments always take things too personal, get insulting, childish and ugly when you disagree with someone.
Dude, let's not get beside ourselves. My statement was in general...I actually don't remember your post.

As far the last sentence in your post, maybe that's a reflection of self. Be it as it may, I was stating my opinion. I do feel that some people in here find something to complain about no matter how great or nice the tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations