HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:53 PM

Downtown Miami

Downtown Miami continues to rapidly grow and change with new skyscrapers and projects being added to the City every year. The Miami metro area has a population of just over 6 million and is the largest metro in the southeast United States.

The new Brickell Centre

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Caliente!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:17 PM

Really not surprising to see how empty BCC and downtown is, still hasn't changed since I left. Also, I see you have some pictures of OMNI, I know it's part of GDM but I wouldn't consider it part of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
Really not surprising to see how empty BCC and downtown is, still hasn't changed since I left. Also, I see you have some pictures of OMNI, I know it's part of GDM but I wouldn't consider it part of downtown.
We visited BCC on Saturday. It actually got pretty busy later in the day.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:24 PM
Me?!?

Nice!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:15 AM

Love this shot of S. Miami Avenue looking south towards the 64-story Brickell Flatiron currently under construction.
This intersection of S. Miami & Calle' Ocho (S.W. 8th.street) anchors four towers over 500+ feet |152+m tall which didn't exist 3 years ago.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4695/...50df92de_b.jpg

Also enjoyed this pic of Edgewater's booming skyline just immediately north of downtown :

^ Half of these residential towers didn't exist 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
This reminds me quite a bit of Singapore. I hope Miami is avoiding the mistakes Singapore repeatedly makes by housing a bunch of luxury retail in the podiums of all these podium-base residential superblocks. It looks nice from outside, but it's geared towards a demo which represents about 1-2% of the population (or as I suspect in Miami's case, the rich South Americans and Europeans who only spend a few weeks a year in these shining new towers).

Don't go down the SG route of filling every new podium tower's base with a repetitive LVMH and Richemont brand collection, perused only by wealthy tourists. It makes for really crappy street activation.

(really nice pics though!)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
This reminds me quite a bit of Singapore. I hope Miami is avoiding the mistakes Singapore repeatedly makes by housing a bunch of luxury retail in the podiums of all these podium-base residential superblocks. It looks nice from outside, but it's geared towards a demo which represents about 1-2% of the population (or as I suspect in Miami's case, the rich South Americans and Europeans who only spend a few weeks a year in these shining new towers).

Don't go down the SG route of filling every new podium tower's base with a repetitive LVMH and Richemont brand collection, perused only by wealthy tourists. It makes for really crappy street activation.

At least they still have a Burger King!

Great collection of pictures!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
At least they still have a Burger King!

Great collection of pictures!
Its days are numbered. Can't wait for the mega story condo tower to go up on that parcel. Miami needs more of that. Cool neighborhoods with vibrant street life are almost always made up of 500+ ft tall condos and enormo high-end shopping malls.

Human scale Miami... human scale.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Well, most of downtown Miami/Brickell is dead at street level. Brickell is always empty, street level is boring and pathetic. Miami is tall condos, high-end retail that most of their people can't afford and horrid urban planning. I lived in Brickell, and have investments there and other parts of downtown and yeah it hasn't improved that much tbh.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:02 AM

Nice pictures!

I like the use of white with the highrises, since it matches the climate, and I like some of those buildings individually, and I am glad that Miami is booming, but as a whole, the cookie-cutter condos are boring, even from afar. I don't know what you can do about that though, since you can't go back in time and add in more older highrises here and there. Parts of Toronto are the same way. Maybe 100 years from now, people will think of all of these buildings as historic or interesting, much like we think of Midtown Manhattan as interesting and dynamic.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Its days are numbered. Can't wait for the mega story condo tower to go up on that parcel. Miami needs more of that. Cool neighborhoods with vibrant street life are almost always made up of 500+ ft tall condos and enormo high-end shopping malls.

Human scale Miami... human scale.
Plenty of that away from the city center. In fact there will always be a lot more of that than high density development. Don't worry. Crappy neighborhoods with "character" are in no danger of disappearing.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:49 AM

Amazing growth since I was last there. Great set of pics.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:26 AM

So Miami does have some new problems according to the comments.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos