HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 8:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Arkansas Development

Theres nothing at all for Arkansas anywhere on here, and Im pretty sure that Im the only person on the forum that lives in the state, but Im going to make a thread anywaya. Theres a lot going on in various cities around the state. Ill try and update it on a regular basis. It will be mostly stuff from Little Rock, Conway, Russellville, Ft. Smith, and northwest Arkansas.

Heres one of the best developments happening in the state. The Village at Hendrix, its a very dense 1920s styled community adjoining Hendrix College, one of the nations finest liberal arts colleges located in Conway. The project has been under construction for many years now and just recently theyve finished the two roundabouts and have finished small sections of the residential areas on the property. Also, the Southwestern Energy headquarters building is basically done now, and theyre just adding the final touches and the company will be moving in soon.

From http://www.hendrix.edu/village/
Quote:
The Village at Hendrix - a new, walkable community - is under construction in Conway, Arkansas, right next door to the Hendrix College campus. Our New Urbanist community was planned by world-renowned town planners and architects Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, who developed Seaside, Fla. The Village is a traditional neighborhood with a firm commitment to green building principles. People of all ages and backgrounds can enjoy being part of a community where the streetscapes become our outdoor living room

Heres some pictures of the development from a few months ago, I have more recent pics but my computer blew up and I have no way to get them off my camera.

This building is number 3 above the 2 on the above map. The entire project is huge and very well detailed.

About a month ago, a Panera Bread opened up in this building and is doing very well. The upper floors of both these buildings are used as apartments for students attending Hendrix.

Last edited by photoLith; Oct 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 9:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

These two buildings near the River Market in downtown Little Rock were finished around a year ago.

I took this picture about 2 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 9:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

Heres a new loft recently completed in Fayetteville on Dixon Street right next to The University of Arkansas, The Lofts at Underwood Plaza.

Pictures from http://activerain.com/blogsview/7014...aza-sneak-peek

View from the building

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 3:16 AM

Bring on the Arky stuff! I married an Arkansan.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 2:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

Main Street in Little Rock is in pretty sad shape but a lot of lofts are planned in the old abandoned buildings that line Main St., heres a new one just announced last month I believe.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...d-lr-20100914/

Quote:
LITTLE ROCK — The boards have come down from the windows of an old Gus Blass Co. building at 315 S. Main St., breathing new life into the nearly 110-year-old building - and with it, the city’s hopes for Main Street revitalization.

The building is being renovated to house 30 loft-style apartments and a jazz club and restaurant. Building plans will be unveiled today in a news conference held by Mayor Mark Stodola and Bob East of the Downtown Little Rock Partnership at 11 a.m.

Hundreds of people responding to the Downtown Partnership’s online survey of attitudes toward the downtown area and Main Street said they want to live downtown, but find the area unappealing as it is now. But Reed said the apartments will be a good first step toward bringing more people and businesses to the area, solving the “chicken and egg” problem that people don’t want to move to an area with no attractions, but businesses are reluctant to move into an area with few residents.

“For how many vacancies there are on Main Street, you’d be surprised at how many people want to open businesses there,” Reed said.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/littl...#ixzz12OLtec1v

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...d-lr-20100914/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:08 PM
Ex Houstonian

Main Street survey suggests Little Rock is ready for change
Quote:
Sharon Priest, executive director of Downtown Little Rock Partnership, said after a study of the survey results, "The overwhelming responses of ideas and comments indicated a resounding sentiment of 'We are ready for change.'"

The Main Street Survey results were released by a group working as a subcommittee of the Main Street Revitalization Task Force headed by Mayor Mark Stodola and Bob East, of East Harding and a Downtown Little Rock Partnership board member.

Property owners, residents, employers, employees, clients, patrons and other stakeholders interested in revitalization of downtown Little Rock's Main Street were invited earlier in the year to express their thoughts about the future of Main Street in a survey.

Of the 1897 responses and 370 additional comments, most of the interest focused on the issues of safety, shopping, beautification, parks, transportation, affordable workforce housing, and historic significance of the current building structures remaining on Main Street.

"The survey results tell us we're on the right track in our committee work for Main Street revitalization," added Priest. "People want a great downtown." There are five subcommittees that have been working since last fall on safety, streetscape, peer city review, existing structures, and marketing.

More activity on Main Street is favored by 51.1 percent. Priest said that activities are already in the planning stages for events along Main Street. "We want people to turn the corner from President Clinton Avenue and Markham onto Main Street," said Priest. "We agree that there needs to be more activity. We also anticipate an announcement of new development on Main Street in the next couple of weeks from the mayor that will help bring more people to Main Street. "

A grocery store, pharmacy, and a major retail chain store on Main Street were the top contenders on the "want" list by survey respondents. 67.9% said they dine occasionally downtown, with 300 saying they dine daily. Casual dining topped the list of dining preferences with a coffee shop and a bar/grill almost evenly running a close second.
Read Full Article Here
http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=115477

Downtown Little Rocks Main Street right now looks pretty terrible. Most of the buildings are abandoned and the retail consists of thrift stores and pawn shops. Its pretty scuzzy and a blight to the city. Most of the focus in the city has been the River Market area of downtown. 10 years ago, that area was pretty crappy too and the city has really turned it around into a place for the community and tourists alike. Hopefully the same can be done for Main Street in the coming decade or decades.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 7:16 PM
Ex Houstonian

Heres an updated plan from the Village at Hendrix in Conway.

thevillageathehendrix.com

http://www.hendrix.edu/village/watershed.aspx

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 7:15 PM

thanks for posting. would love to see some shots of the Clinton Prez Library.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 2:46 AM

Thanks for creating this thread! I heard Conway is growing really fast. Is it part of the Little Rock metro since it's so close? Also, I'll try to also post stuff on my hometown, Texarkana.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 9:26 AM

A Concept

NW Arkansas Entertainment Center

This project design was created as a idea of the kind of environment the city of Rodgers, Arkansas could have with a new entertainment center. I worked on every part of this project; initial concept, masterplan, model building, image rendering, and presentation graphics.

http://www.adamfreund.com/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 9:29 AM

Great thread photolitherland I'm always curious of Arkansas...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 2:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Thanks for creating this thread! I heard Conway is growing really fast. Is it part of the Little Rock metro since it's so close? Also, I'll try to also post stuff on my hometown, Texarkana.
Its an exurb of Little Rock, its got some pretty craptastic sprawl but overall, Conway is among one of Arkansas most progressive communities. I dig it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 10:57 AM

Joint Venture to Develop Two Student Housing Communities

Quote:
By Jessica Fiur, News Editor

Fayetteville, Ark.—Sterling University Housing, a developer of off-campus student housing communities, and Specialized Real Estate Group, a Northwest Arkansas-based real estate firm, have partnered to build two student housing developments in walking distance of the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark.

The apartment communities, which will be located between the campus and the Dickson Street Entertainment District, will be designed to be pedestrian-friendly and will meet the goals of Fayetteville’s City Plan 2030. Both communities will offer one-, two- and four-bedroom units.

Sterling Fayetteville will seek Leed Silver certification.

“Sterling has a great reputation nationally for developing appealing, well-built and well-managed off-campus housing,” Jeremy Hudson, a partner in Specialized Real Estate Group, said in a press statement. “They have 60 years of experience and more LEED-certified projects than any other company in the industry, making them a great match for this project.”
http://www.multihousingnews.com/news...004048995.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Guess since I moved from Arkansas a few years ago nobody else has been updating this thread. One of the coolest new urbanist developments and most well done Ive ever seen was getting built while I lived there, still doesnt seem to be fully complete yet, but its the Village at Hendrix in Conway and was looking at Google Earth to see the progress. The houses are some of the most well done historically and accurate to their corresponding architectural styles that Ive seen.

sdsd by photolitherland, on Flickr

sd by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddss by photolitherland, on Flickr

dds by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddf by photolitherland, on Flickr

dd by photolitherland, on Flickr

And then in Russellville, where I went to college they restored an entire block of historic buildings in the small main street area. When I graduated in 2011, all of these buildings were threatened with demolition. Arkansas has one of the best main street programs in the country and it seems its paid off for Russellvilles historic downtown.

sas by photolitherland, on Flickr

And then there seems to be a couple small new developments in Little Rocks Riverfront area.

fff by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddsd by photolitherland, on Flickr

And a tiny "development" in downtown Arkansas. Theyve been slowly rebuilding a couple of blocks of the original town from the 1830's. The two story brick building was recently completed and was what the original building at that location looked like in the 1830's. The house is original however.

dsds by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited by photoLith; Apr 25, 2016 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Guess since I moved from Arkansas a few years ago nobody else has been updating this thread. One of the coolest new urbanist developments and most well done Ive ever seen was getting built while I lived there, still doesnt seem to be fully complete yet, but its the Village at Hendrix in Conway and was looking at Google Earth to see the progress. The houses are some of the most well done historically and accurate to their corresponding architectural styles that Ive seen.

sdsd by photolitherland, on Flickr

sd by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddss by photolitherland, on Flickr

dds by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddf by photolitherland, on Flickr

dd by photolitherland, on Flickr

And then in Russellville, where I went to college they restored an entire block of historic buildings in the small main street area. When I graduated in 2011, all of these buildings were threatened with demolition. Arkansas has one of the best main street programs in the country and it seems its paid off for Russellvilles historic downtown.

sas by photolitherland, on Flickr

And then there seems to be a couple small new developments in Little Rocks Riverfront area.

fff by photolitherland, on Flickr

ddsd by photolitherland, on Flickr

And a tiny "development" in downtown Arkansas. Theyve been slowly rebuilding a couple of blocks of the original town from the 1830's. The two story brick building was recently completed and was what the original building at that location looked like in the 1830's. The house is original however.

dsds by photolitherland, on Flickr
I'll make your day, I live in Fayetteville and will try to share stuf when I can. Lot's of Student Focuses midrises in Fayetteville going up..Instead of trying to catch up, I'll.l share two links that has some Arkansas info on them

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/f...west-arkansas/

http://woopig.net/board/index.php/topic,74886.0.html

I'll.try to update this page going forward.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
NW Arkansas Entertainment Center

This project design was created as a idea of the kind of environment the city of Rodgers, Arkansas could have with a new entertainment center. I worked on every part of this project; initial concept, masterplan, model building, image rendering, and presentation graphics.

http://www.adamfreund.com/

Sadly, your vision isn't what's happening. So far, the AMP was built but much closer to Embassy suites and much more generic. It's going to be more typical urban sprawl in overall looks with the usual restaurant pads and what not. Much less inspiring than your work.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:46 PM

Razorback Stadium Expansion

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/dwrrs/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:16 PM

New tower at Wahinging Regional in Fayetteville is going up, Arkansas Children's is planning a hospital in Springdale and now: (no renderings yet)

http://m.nwaonline.com/news/2016/apr...-northwest-ar/
Expansion plans include a new patient tower that will add more than 100 beds to the hospital and new clinics in Benton and north Washington counties.

Mercy leaders expect the expansion to add more than 1,000 jobs over the next five years.

The plans also call for creation of a University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences community internal medicine residency program in partnership with the Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks in Fayetteville. The program will provide training to eight doctors the first year, growing to 24 doctors in three years.

Other specialty care areas benefiting from the capital investment include the heart and vascular center and women’s and children’s services.

Mercy already has several area projects underway, including a hybrid cardiac catheterization lab that provides technology for advanced heart procedures not currently being performed in the region; an interim renovation of the Level IIIA Neonatal Intensive Care Unit; renovation of the seventh floor to add 24 inpatient beds; and a 500-space parking lot expansion.

Expansion rendering

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Apr 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:02 PM

Upton Fayetteville Project

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:25 PM

Rendering for Arkansas Children's Hospital's Springdale Campus

Location proximity to Arslvest ballpark

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast