HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:14 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Well they've completely razed and leveled the site...maybe they're going to rebuild a nicer storage place...but that would be pretty disappointing
Do you have the exact address?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:51 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Well they've completely razed and leveled the site...maybe they're going to rebuild a nicer storage place...but that would be pretty disappointing
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyRSN=862466

It looks like Caster Property Group is the applicant for the demo work. They are the owners of A1-Storage and that seems to be their only thing they invest in.

So my guess is another hideous 4 story storage unit monstrosity seems the most likely candidate going on that site. Just had one of those right behind corner bar too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyRSN=862466

It looks like Caster Property Group is the applicant for the demo work. They are the owners of A1-Storage and that seems to be their only thing they invest in.

So my guess is another hideous 4 story storage unit monstrosity seems the most likely candidate going on that site. Just had one of those right behind corner bar too.
At least that one is kinda cool looking. As much as I despise storage buildings, there have been some relatively nice ones going up around town lately.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:00 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
At least that one is kinda cool looking. As much as I despise storage buildings, there have been some relatively nice ones going up around town lately.
Yeah, it just seems really short sighted. For me these sorts of units make perfect sense at the back of new VMU developments. Retail and condos in the front and move this sort of stuff to the back of better developments that serve the street-level interaction.

I know that Lamar is a big giant pedestrian unfriendly street today (though, I still walk it constantly) but we are less than 5 years away from it being very pedestrian friendly and 10 away from it being pretty damn dense.

That said, I lived in NYC and giant storage units are a big part of most neighborhoods. They are just better hidden and have retail in the first floors (generally speaking)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:14 AM

They should just line the freight train lines with self-storage and parking garages. Not completely serious, but just a thought.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 9:47 PM

Found this rendering of the building going up at the old La Feria:

http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/20...Lamar-hero.jpg

Similar to the ones posted here previously but this one is showing a sidewalk cafe at the corner, a nice addition. Hopefully that is part of the final design.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:37 PM

Lucy's on the Fly on S Lamar is closing. Employee stated they lost their lease due to a new development on the way.

Anyone with insider info on this? Employee stated that it would akin to the Sackman project on Hether across Lamar.

I heard a rumor more than a year ago that the land where Custom Sounds is/was located was to turn into an apartment complex, if that is the same project, then this will be an enormous vmu.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Lucy's on the Fly on S Lamar is closing. Employee stated they lost their lease due to a new development on the way.

Anyone with insider info on this? Employee stated that it would akin to the Sackman project on Hether across Lamar.

I heard a rumor more than a year ago that the land where Custom Sounds is/was located was to turn into an apartment complex, if that is the same project, then this will be an enormous vmu.
2043 South Lamar (Lucy's current address) is going to be the new Bouldin Creek Commons, a 142,000 square foot creative office building.

http://ahprd2cdn.csgpimgs.com/d2/pJ9...k/document.pdf

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:43 PM

Dang didn't Lucy's *just* open?! At least in the last year or so?

I wish they'd keep the building, it's got a cool mid-century look.

EDIT: Ok, I'll admit I just looked at the document. It literally says Lucy's on the plan. Looks like at least the building itself is staying, with the driveway there being an entrance to the new property which is actually behind Lucy's. But since it's labeled on the plan, it seems to indicate that Lucy's is staying?

Last edited by Sigaven; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
2043 South Lamar (Lucy's current address) is going to be the new Bouldin Creek Commons, a 142,000 square foot creative office building.

http://ahprd2cdn.csgpimgs.com/d2/pJ9...k/document.pdf
I can't immediately tell from these documents, but is the Noah Marion shop going to be torn down?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's really interesting to drive down S.Lamar these days now that some of these office buildings are finishing up or under construction. Seems like theres new construction starting up each time I drive through there. There really isn't another corridor quite like it yet. Areas along East 5th and 6th are the closest now that office space is being added and in terms of density in a short distance, it beats out S. Lamar. In few more years other corridors will follow suit.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I can't immediately tell from these documents, but is the Noah Marion shop going to be torn down?
Doesn't look like it from the plan on page 7.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 10:15 PM
Meh

I don't remember if we had any info on this one or not, maybe someone will.

1515 South Lamar - apartments - this is at the Security Self Storage location.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=296416

Map

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...4!4d-97.763871

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:16 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

For all that South Lamar has (arguably Austin's best street in my view, with Burnet and Congress on that list too), there are a TON of storage facilities on South Lamar and so many opportunities to make it even better.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:45 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
For all that South Lamar has (arguably Austin's best street in my view, with Burnet and Congress on that list too), there are a TON of storage facilities on South Lamar and so many opportunities to make it even better.
It appears that lots of the storage facilities are going vertical and while I wish they would have better street interaction (for the love of god, your 3 story storage unit can have retail in the street facing first floor) my guess is some of these are being used to "free up" space at surrounding large surface storage unit places which should create some more VMUs.

I also believe the large used car lot that is across from Heather has been cleared out for a while now, but does not appears to be part of the Lucy's Chicken VMU.

Hopefully the CVS/Office block will turn into something nice soon.

FWIW, It looks like the Backbeat closure was a case of being money whipped by Kemuri and not a failing business closure. I was a regular there and they always seemed to do a good business. My guess is the owners didn't want to manage a bar and after the falling out with Drink.Well got an offer they couldn't say no to. We're getting a new Tiki bar from the Kemuri team.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 10:08 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:20 PM
Meh

The site plan was posted to the AULCC page for South Lamar Apartments.

The elevations start on page 47.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ts_PLAN_01.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:56 AM

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:23 AM

Nice! That Goodwill store is in bad shape and the lot has been rumored for development for a long time.

I don't see any permits or anything yet though. I hope this isn't just a hopeful project and that there's some money behind it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin