HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:46 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
That entire situation pisses me off. I don't mean to spread any more rumors, but I've seen on some Memphis Tigers message boards where some have said it's more than football.

To add insult to injury this all comes at a time where UAB's program seems to be on the upswing. UA's board should concern themselves with something else for the time being.
The funny thing is that the entire UA system is enjoying incredible success.

The thing is that virtually everyone knows that UAB has a far-reaching and incredibly complex impact on the economy of Alabama. What I find strange is that people seem to be able to grasp that, yet some can't possibly understand that UAB football is something that can tip students' opinions in UAB's favor when considering where they want to attend college.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Yep I agree.I believe the absence of a football team is why UAH has not really grown .USA on the other hand has grown from 10k to over 16k within a few years due to the football program. Now on the other hand is this really UA fault ? USA is under UA as well and our football program though New has been very successful.I believe the lack of support from the city a d student body is at fault. I have read articles about the low attendance at games and the figures were like 3k at one time.

Last edited by Port_of_Bama; Dec 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 6:16 PM
Burming Hammer

USA is under UA? I don't think that's true... is it?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
USA is under UA? I don't think that's true... is it?
You are correct, it is not true. The University of Alabama System consist of U.A. Tuscaloosa, U.A. Birmingham, and U.A. Huntsville. South Alabama has its own and separate Board of Trustees.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 1:09 AM

I do not know where this mess with the UAB Football program demise is going, but I hope the State Legislators will reform the U.A. Board of Trustees before one of those clowns do something else stupid and cause problems for the hold system. It is not fair to have 13 of 15 board members to be from the same school. 2 are from Birmingham and even they are biased in favor of U.A. Tuscaloosa and none from Huntsville.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 2:08 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
The funny thing is that the entire UA system is enjoying incredible success.

The thing is that virtually everyone knows that UAB has a far-reaching and incredibly complex impact on the economy of Alabama. What I find strange is that people seem to be able to grasp that, yet some can't possibly understand that UAB football is something that can tip students' opinions in UAB's favor when considering where they want to attend college.
No doubt. People far too often under estimate the impact that athletics, in particular football have on high school students and where they want to go to college. UAB's program has been crippled so much in the past it's easy to believe that this outcome is what's wanted. You always get out what you put in.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 5:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Honestly, I'm half expecting President Watts to pop out and say that they're not going to terminate the program after all. I simply do not believe that the uproar all of this has caused will go unnoticed.

I know plenty of UAB students/alumni and they are outraged. There was never any lack of support for the team.

Let's be honest, Legion Field is a dump. That place used to be the cathedral of college football, but the city did not give it the attention necessary to maintain its luster.

It's obvious that attendance levels were not solely based on interest in the UAB football program. Legion Field is not in a BAD part of town, but it certainly isn't what it once was. Plus, it's miles away from the UAB campus. How many students want to park in an unfamiliar part of town and sit in a stadium that lacks the amenities that even FCS teams enjoy?

The fact that the team was able to become bowl eligible this season and attract an average attendance of around 20K is an effing miracle. That's why I think the termination of the program is so premature. A responsible person would go hey, this team is doing alright, maybe we should give them another season or two to see if we can work this out.

But no....

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:59 PM
Burming Hammer

all this while bama is building a brand new $30 million baseball stadium... someone convince me that their baseball program is a moneymaker....

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 4:56 PM
Oak City

The ripple effect will be big. UAB will likely be kicked out of C-USA, have to seek refuge in Atlantic Sun, Big South, Southern, some other conference that will take the rump sports.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 7:04 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The way this fiasco is unfolding, it makes me wonder if this decision is final. The UAB Faculty Senate is close to a no confidence vote on Watts for more than just the football decision. He's enraged the community to a point that the only way to fix this nightmare might be to reverse his decision.

If that were to happen, this could all be a huge momentum builder for the team and the dome project. With UAB on board, the state might be more willing to contribute some amount of money (not that there's any to contribute, of course).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 9:51 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
The way this fiasco is unfolding, it makes me wonder if this decision is final. The UAB Faculty Senate is close to a no confidence vote on Watts for more than just the football decision. He's enraged the community to a point that the only way to fix this nightmare might be to reverse his decision.

If that were to happen, this could all be a huge momentum builder for the team and the dome project. With UAB on board, the state might be more willing to contribute some amount of money (not that there's any to contribute, of course).
Yeah, I saw that. I figured we'd have to wait a few years until the bill worked its way through government and the BOT could be revamped. But with this news coming out and another one talking about his regret, it may be sooner then that.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, I saw that. I figured we'd have to wait a few years until the bill worked its way through government and the BOT could be revamped. But with this news coming out and another one talking about his regret, it may be sooner then that.
This won't cause a Board reorganization. The conversation has been framed as athletic supporters versus Watts. In order to have fallout reach the Board, previous coaches and presidents are going to have to come forward, in violation of NDAs, to shed light on hidden Board agendas.

Watts is also pretty safe. There won't be a no confidence vote once the faculty get what they want out of this. Only a few donors will stop giving and the ones that do stop will continue again once they realize they lost.

The only way Watts leaves is if more third party economists show the flaws in the Carr study and local media begins to hammer home the deceptive practice Watts used to end football. There will probably have to be widespread athletic fallout also, which should happen once UAB is pushed out of CUSA and either Troy or USA take its place. Then, maybe, the Board decides to remove Watts. But that won't be before spring practice starts. Which means even if the interim president reinstates UAB football, (not sure if the Board would have to approve the measure, which doesn't seem likely), the coaches and current SAs would be gone and there would be no schedule for the 2015-16 year. So UAB would have to essentially start a new program in Fall 2016 with no conference affiliation.

If Watts isn't gone before the February system meeting, UAB football is done for good.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:20 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAL View Post
This won't cause a Board reorganization. The conversation has been framed as athletic supporters versus Watts. In
I did not mean to imply that it would. I was just exploring a new development that would seem to have an effect quicker then a rewriting of state legislation would which I read somewhere was being talked about.

Quote:
If Watts isn't gone before the February system meeting, UAB football is done for good.
Nah, maybe for a few years. But it can always be reversed.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 10:52 AM

There was a big meeting yesterday at Jim & Nick's in Homewood where 6 or 8 members of the Jefferson County delegation of the Alabama house, half were Republican and the other half Democrats, along with some real estate developers and business owners to discuss the ending of UAB football. hopefully this is a good sign.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 3:21 PM

There's have been a series of no-confidence votes in the UAB President; Graduate Students, Under-Graduate Students and now the Faculty. However so far the U.A. Chancellor and the President Pro-Tem of the U.A. Board of Trustees have voiced support for the UAB President. I understand that UAB is due an inspection in the next week or so by SACS for re-accreditation and all this no-confidence by students and faculty versus support by the BOT just may cause a pretty big problem for UAB.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:16 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:52 AM

UAB's capital campaign progresses with recent $600M milestone

Quote:
More than 83,000 donors have raised $617 million for programs and projects at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as part of the school's Campaign for UAB: Give Something, Change Everything.

The fundraising effort launched in 2013 and is the largest in school history. According to UAB, the money raised will be used to fund scholarships for 5,700 students and 46 new endowed faculty positions. Funding in the amounts of $121 million and $27 million will also be allocated to support research and improve facilities.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:59 AM
Cat Enthusiast

A tremendous achievements. It's awesome that they've surpassed their goal!!!! I think this the moment that propels UAB into the echelon of top 100 universities (after a few years).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 6:17 AM

Football Facility and Practice fields proposed for UAB.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ab_footba.html

But no On Campus Stadium, I guess one step at a time.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:04 PM

According to the BBJ, U.A.B. has spent $6 million for land in the 800 block of 5th Avenue South that belongs to EBSCO Media to be used for back office operations. They have just recently purchased the ALAGASCO property in the same area for $16 million to be used for remote parking. So it looks like U.A.B. is expanding to the west. U.A.B. (the University that Ate Birmingham)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast