HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:52 PM
Cat Enthusiast

UAB hits new enrollment record with nearly 21,000 students enrolled for Fall 2017. There are currently 20,902 enrolled... 1,367 more than last year. LINK

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:23 PM
The Salty Ham

Hopefully this will continue to spur demand for high rise development on the southside.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 12:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

State of the University news via WBHM, heard this on the way home from work this afternoon.

UAB's economic impact is now over $7 Billion statewide, up from around $4 Billion 5 years ago. 1 in every 31 employed individuals is employed in some way, by UAB in all of Alabama.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
State of the University news via WBHM, heard this on the way home from work this afternoon.

UAB's economic impact is now over $7 Billion statewide, up from around $4 Billion 5 years ago. 1 in every 31 employed individuals is employed in some way, by UAB in all of Alabama.
Hopefully we can grow big enough to where we can have our own Board of Trustees. Some how I feel we should be bigger.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 1:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
Hopefully we can grow big enough to where we can have our own Board of Trustees. Some how I feel we should be bigger.
I wish that 1) the system would let UA be UA and let UAB and UAH be University of Birmingham and University of Huntsville respectively, and 2) that more public universities in the state were part of the system so that the Trustees' power was diluted and there could be an increase in collaboration and efficiency.

There are countless state university systems that operate in this fashion. I mean, we all talk about living in a state where the system is broken and this part of it. Why do universities like North Alabama, South Alabama, or West Alabama need separate boards of trustee's? It makes more sense for all of them to be a part of the state's flagship university system. If we're going to tether UAB and UAH to UA's 'life raft' (just a figure of speech), let's make the family bigger so that it empowers universities like UNA, USA, and UWA instead of making them battle for funding for the state... It has never made sense to me that the state's flagship university system only consists of THREE universities.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:42 AM

Quote:
I wish that 1) the system would let UA be UA and let UAB and UAH be University of Birmingham and University of Huntsville respectively, and 2) that more public universities in the state were part of the system so that the Trustees' power was diluted and there could be an increase in collaboration and efficiency.

There are countless state university systems that operate in this fashion. I mean, we all talk about living in a state where the system is broken and this part of it. Why do universities like North Alabama, South Alabama, or West Alabama need separate boards of trustee's? It makes more sense for all of them to be a part of the state's flagship university system. If we're going to tether UAB and UAH to UA's 'life raft' (just a figure of speech), let's make the family bigger so that it empowers universities like UNA, USA, and UWA instead of making them battle for funding for the state... It has never made sense to me that the state's flagship university system only consists of THREE universities.
Ok, I could support that idea as well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:45 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, I could support that idea as well.
I mean, in other states, there isn't this idea of a member institution being second rate. In Alabama, everyone views UAB and UAH simply as 'branches'. I want to watch ESPN and see UAB represented as Birmingham and UAH represented as Huntsville... so that people know that these are individual institutions, not just simple members of a small public university system.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Site surveying and soil testing has begun on the site for the proposed College of Arts and Sciences building on the corner of 10th Avenue and 14th Street South. No renderings yet, however ground breaking is scheduled for sometime in 2017. But it should be a nice size building and it will finish the framing of the Campus Green.
Metal rods for the building columns are coming up out of the ground on the College of Arts and Sciences building as well as the 1st installment of the tower crane.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a test drilling crew at the corner of 9th Avenue and 17th Street South site, two small buildings sit on this site now. According to the Master Plan this will be an Academic/Research building. There is all so a proposal for 2 large parking decks on campus, one to be located on 9th Avenue and 18th Street S, and the other over in the arts district possibly around the Alys Stephens and Visual Arts building. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:39 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Geez, UAB is pushing land value sky-high on the Southside. Not necessarily a bad thing if developers continue to deem vertical construction more profitable than horizontal.

Hopes and wishes... I really wonder about how the City Council would approach a proposal for a tower exceeding 500' or 600'.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Geez, UAB is pushing land value sky-high on the Southside. Not necessarily a bad thing if developers continue to deem vertical construction more profitable than horizontal.

Hopes and wishes... I really wonder about how the City Council would approach a proposal for a tower exceeding 500' or 600'.
I hope they would welcome it. A city's skyline is its signature and a building that size would give Birmingham a wow factor. At one time there was 2 building proposed for 20th Street and 2nd Avenue South, one was 42 floors the other I think over 70 floors, but they could not get tenants. This was the guy Mr. Shepherd was his name I think, he built Brookwood Mall shortly afterwards.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 2:21 AM
Cat Enthusiast

UAB and Childrens' are well underway with their respective projects near the Parkside neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 12:18 PM

Skyline

Quote:
I hope they would welcome it. A city's skyline is its signature and a building that size would give Birmingham a wow factor. At one time there was 2 building proposed for 20th Street and 2nd Avenue South, one was 42 floors the other I think over 70 floors, but they could not get tenants. This was the guy Mr. Shepherd was his name I think, he built Brookwood Mall shortly afterwards.
If we ever get another skyscraper, it will probably not be an office building. I can see someone doing a 30 to 50-story mixed use tower with a combination of hotel and residences. We will see!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
If we ever get another skyscraper, it will probably not be an office building. I can see someone doing a 30 to 50-story mixed use tower with a combination of hotel and residences. We will see!
That is what I was hoping they would have done with that Highland Avenue apartment project. There are quite a few offices on Highland Avenue, Medical, Financial, Law and Consultants.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

This skyscraper discussion belongs in another thread, but legally it will have to be south of the tracks... probably next to or near the Daniel Building.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
UAB and Childrens' are well underway with their respective projects near the Parkside neighborhood.
Here is a look at what Childrens' is planning.
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...to_move_f.html

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Metal rods for the building columns are coming up out of the ground on the College of Arts and Sciences building as well as the 1st installment of the tower crane.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a test drilling crew at the corner of 9th Avenue and 17th Street South site, two small buildings sit on this site now. According to the Master Plan this will be an Academic/Research building. There is all so a proposal for 2 large parking decks on campus, one to be located on 9th Avenue and 18th Street S, and the other over in the arts district possibly around the Alys Stephens and Visual Arts building. Stay tuned.
The tower crane is up and running on the College or Arts and Sciences building site.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:57 PM

U.A.B. buys the Snoozy's bookstore property which includes Snoozy's and the World of Wings restaurant in back along with a large parking lot. Personally I am shocked that U.A.B. did not already own that piece of land given that it sits right at the heart of the western part of the campus.
Also, there is a new 8 storey 160,000 SF Genomic Medicine Research building being planned for the old Nursing School dorm site on 18th Street S. near University BlVD. Ground breaking is schedule by late spring or early summer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 1:12 AM

Some pictures I took of some construction going on U.A.B. campus

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 1:19 AM

Some pictures I took of newly constructed and under construction going on U.A.B. campus

Sorry, I could not get my pictures to post.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Mar 31, 2018 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:22 PM

A new dorm is being planned for 10th Avenue and 16th Street South, it will be 720 beds with a dining hall seating 300. No schedule for ground breaking. It has been predicted that U.A.B. will need another 3600 beds by 2021 because the student enrollment will be about 24,000 then. I'm guessing 24,000 before 2021

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast