HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:05 PM

That document was from the RFP last year or whatever it was. Maybe we'll see something more shiny at the open house.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
The terminology used in the RFP document on Manitoba Infrastructure's page says expressway for the Bypass so there will likely be 1 or 2 at grade intersections. Given that St Norbert will eventually expand as residential or industrial towards Brady landfill there will likely need an access point.Freeway for Perimeter.

Great to hear about St Marys and Mcgillivray! The website also says the open housesin August will discuss the intermediate safety plan (closing medians)
St Norbert is pretty maxed out for where it can go. You won’t be seeing anything going up. And most of the land around Brady is not city but the RMs.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
St Norbert is pretty maxed out for where it can go. You won’t be seeing anything going up. And most of the land around Brady is not city but the RMs.
Now that I come to think of it, though, if Highway 75 is to be a major trade route, that will mean a large number of trucks on the highway, which in turns means that you don't want any at-grade intersection. (Then there's the much-needed Morris bypass. *cough cough*)

All that it takes is one dumb driver cutting in front of a line of trucks to cause a severe accident that will see one side of the highway closed.

If the RM's near St Nobert are really that concerned about emergency access, those at-grade intersections should then be reserved for emergency vehicles only, patrolled by RCMP 24/7.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:50 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Public notice for open houses and study for PTH 100 announced.

Link to Appendix C shows a very ambitious project including St. Norbert Bypass. Looks like 100/3 and 100/200 St. Mary’s construction to happen within 2-3 years.

Fingers crossed. Only concern was the potential for at grade intersections on St. N. Bypass.
Got a link?

As for upgrades to 75 to turn it into a freeway...ha ha ha ha! You think the province gives a crap about dragging us into the 20th (never mind the 21st) century? That highway should have been turned into a freeway about 50 years ago. The Perimeter should have been limited access from the start. Highway 1 should have been upgraded to interstate standards around 1970.

Frankly, I'm amazed the province is even bothering to humor us with talk of upgrades. I guess it buys enough votes but until I see shovels in the ground and don't hear about any more lights on the Perimeter, I'll say what I've always said about the province's attitude towards highway budgets: The next government will do it until they say the next government will do it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:08 PM

^ 75 flows pretty well relative to its traffic volumes, I don't think there is much of a loss because it isn't up to vaunted full-freeway standards. Going through Morris is a bit of a pain but the geography of the area would make a bypass quite an expensive undertaking although it will eventually have to be done some day.

The Perimeter is a bigger deal IMO because it is starting to face urban freeway traffic loads in places, but is still built mostly to 1960s rural expressway standards.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:34 PM

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=44475

It's here. It's links within links within links. There is no map that shows the actual new highways with interchanges. Just a couple general maps.

All of it is described in the text document, which is at one of the links, that was put out last year.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 10:43 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

When I was out west a couple weeks ago, I've been pretty amazed on the progress of how the Regina Bypass, and Calgary's continuous rapid growth and expansion has far outpaced Manitoba, combined.

It's really embarrassing, especially when Regina is progressing with a major freeway, and we're still stuck in the 1960's, with f*cking intersections on highways, with countless lives that have been lost in those intersections over the years, because people are idiots.

/minirant

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 1:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Freedom Road (Shoal Lake 40) Construction Reached Milestone

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:28 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ 75 flows pretty well relative to its traffic volumes, I don't think there is much of a loss because it isn't up to vaunted full-freeway standards. Going through Morris is a bit of a pain but the geography of the area would make a bypass quite an expensive undertaking although it will eventually have to be done some day.

The Perimeter is a bigger deal IMO because it is starting to face urban freeway traffic loads in places, but is still built mostly to 1960s rural expressway standards.
I'm sorry if you got the impression that I was mostly concerned with upgrading 75 immediately. No, the perimeter is definitely first.

When it comes to 75, however, it's about safety, not capacity. That's the usual reason for freeway design and construction in Canada and we're no exception. There is, nevertheless, an argument to be made in favor of the economic side of upgrading the highway. Manitoba likes to tout itself as a transportation hub. That's completely undermined by the lack of freeway-standard highways in a first world country and a world where outside of the most impoverished nations, there's no such thing as a city the size of Winnipeg without direct access to interstate standard highways. We're almost certainly one of the last places of such economic clout in the world to lack such basic transportation infrastructure. But it's not simply about being left behind so much as selling ourselves short. We can't rightly claim to be a transportation anything of import if we don't have the basic infrastructure we definitely shouldn't be selling ourselves as some sort of hub if we can't serve the customers we want to attract.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:39 PM

From the article. I'm not holding my breath, but interesting.

The completion of Freedom Road may also lead to the start of work on twinning the Trans-Canada, as neighbouring First Nation chiefs have said completion of the road was a condition for allowing the start of twinning the highway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:21 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
From the article. I'm not holding my breath, but interesting.

The completion of Freedom Road may also lead to the start of work on twinning the Trans-Canada, as neighbouring First Nation chiefs have said completion of the road was a condition for allowing the start of twinning the highway.
I'm sorry but where is this project actually located? I've never even heard of Freedom Road.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:44 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm sorry but where is this project actually located? I've never even heard of Freedom Road.
That's probably because Shoal Lake 40 FN is technically in Ontario. Until their road is done, TCH in Ontario can't be twinned west of Kenora.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:43 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Hard to see, but best I could find:

That's Falcon Lake up top.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

^ It's amazing that it took until now to get that road built.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:40 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I believe it took a long time to work out the funding for a road built in Manitoba to a reserve located in Ontario.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 4:34 PM

And it's costing something like $40M if you didn't know.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...nada-1.4834897

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:06 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ontario TCH Widening - Open House in Kenora on November 20

http://www.895thelake.ca/news/174601...ighway-17-west

I've posted about this in the Canada thread and in the Ontario one. Is anyone that lives near the area caring to go and take a look?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 2:55 PM

WSP again.

They're talking construction starting in 2019. Would love to see that.

https://4lanehighway17kenora.ca/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Here's the thing though:
If Ontario does start work on ON 17 next spring (which may coincide with the completion of freedom road), will Manitoba start its work on the final 15 km of Highway 1?

Or is there no plan whatsoever for that on the Manitoba side at this time?

https://www.northernontariobusiness....ear-mp-1116666

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 9:55 PM

I don't think there's a plan. IIRC both governments were to be coordinating projects. Doesn't seem like they need much coordination as the highway is twinned at the boundary.

It will be quite a project with the ups and downs and the existing interchanges at West Hawk and Falcon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan