HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Hey guys...

Looking for a suggestion for somewhere nice to take a first date for an early (5-6:00) dinner next Saturday, downtownish area. We are out and about prior, and have no firm time set so a place that doesn't require a reso. Also, she is vegetarian and I am not, so a place that will satisfy us both is welcome...

Thanks
Was at the Blue plate on a date last month. Cool plates and cutlery. Food was meh. But very very loud...it was a struggle to hear half the conversation.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

^food can be hit and miss, that's true, but it has decent veggie options, a wicked vibe and great location for apres meal strolls.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 4:26 PM

I don't know if it’s just me getting older but there are fewer places to go and have a quiet drink and talk, or a quiet dinner and not have to shout across the table. Saturday wasn't bad at Sabor Davino but it wasn't quiet enough for me, I hadn't recovered after spending 10 hrs. flying Thursday.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Overtime Lounge is to become The Marquee Food and Beverage Lounge sometime this spring.
I still miss the Overtime from 10-15 years ago when Sandy and K-Lowe were running the show. Edmonton is bereft of nightclubs for the 30+ upscale crowd.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 9:07 PM

Yeah Sandy was pretty good. It was a good place to go back in the day. I went there last year with some friends and it looked like the cast of Jersey shore was there!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 8:39 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Oh what's this again...

So I walked by the Devonian, and still don't see any activity where Cactus Club is supposed to open. At the rate they're going, we'll see a new arena before this place! What's going on with this?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:57 AM

Possibly they are trying to get out of this location...

I can think of better "central" locations (and so can many on this thread) that are under development or in planning that may allow for a better design (interior, kitchen, parking etc.) rather than fitting into what is essentially office space. We all know that Pampa cost in excess of $1M and the interior dining room is "minimalistic" as most of the $$ was used for improvements to the mechanical systems etc.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:02 AM
Community Guy

While I'd love them more downtown, the location they have chosen is money money money. Look at joeys.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:29 PM

Had a discussion with someone involved with this early on. Apperently they were having a hard time with the required 140 parking stalls. But my source in Van says they are still not getting any word on this location, its like it dropped off the screen. In reference to the renderings above, I walked by that space and noticed the parkade exhaust comes right up in the middle of the eastside patio. Nothing I like better than a little CO with my Rock Cod.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:43 PM
Community Guy

Parking was dealt with. Their permit was approved.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:59 PM

^ So now what's the hold-up?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:07 PM
Community Guy

No idea, ask them.

P.S. I should say, I believe their permit was approved.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:22 PM

I just worry that they'll be like, screw it let's open in SEC or Sherwood Park instead.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:29 PM
Community Guy

^They are going to mint money with this location... I cannot see them doing that.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:56 PM
Derp

RE: Cactus Club, I was chatting with the mechanical engineer at a trade show this week and he said they'd just gotten the plans, still laying out the mech. design. It's not dead, just slow.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:44 PM
GT Champion

Who's to say that Cactus Club needs to follow this supposed timeline set on SSP? Its not like CC went on the news and announced they were opening this spring. Plans were leaked online which is the only reason this is being discussed. Give these guys a break...they are making a big investment in downtown Edmonton, which is a lot more then most similar establishments can say.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
So very tired...

So we did go to the Blue Plate. She had the veggie burger, and was quite happy with it. Only complaint was that it was 'too big'. Came with fries and veggies. I had a Chicken Enchilada which I found rather dry and unremarkable. We were there pretty early, so it was not very busy, and not very loud. For whatever reason, they seated us at a deuce right behind the till/bus station even though the place was pretty much empty.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
Who's to say that Cactus Club needs to follow this supposed timeline set on SSP? Its not like CC went on the news and announced they were opening this spring. Plans were leaked online which is the only reason this is being discussed. Give these guys a break...they are making a big investment in downtown Edmonton, which is a lot more then most similar establishments can say.
Just chalk me up as another person who is impatient by the seemingly glacial pace of downtown development here. From my outsiders perspective, too much farting around and too little action. But this has already been discussed at length in the main thread recently.

Now to some new resto action that is actually taking place:
I walked through Sutton Place via pedway and took a look where Chop Steakhouse is supposed to open. The whole area from the main floor up has been completely gutted. Can't wait to see what the reno looks like when they're done.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Mar 27, 2012 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:03 AM
Community Guy

Apparently the scotch bar in the Jagger is open. Awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton