HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Wave Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 5:20 PM

Central City Display

For those of you who haven't seen the display unit inside Central City mall (complete with reality show actors), here are some pictures.

Also, here is the write-up explaining the storyline...

Quote:
Follow Lily, John and Parm
living together in this
2 Bedroom & Den Condo

The Storyline...

After a nasty breakup and moving away from her ex-boyfriend. Parm is
comforted by her lifelong girlfriend, Lily Lee. Lily suggest Parm
move into her new "WAVE" condominium.

Also in the suite is Lily's sports-fanatical boyfriend, John, who is less than
enthusiastic about parm living with them. John has alternative plans
to find Parm a new boyfriend and move her out of the condo.

Parm, a professional photographer, who takes photos of celebrities, and Lily, a yoga instructor, decide to create a picture-book about yoga.

Between everyday life, yoga classes and photography,
the condo is visited by surprise celebrity guests.

Here are the pictures:

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:40 PM

The bizarre marketing effort may grab the development some attention, but it remains to be seen whether it will turn the tide on sales in the City Centre. The primary market for units appears to be investors and even they are holding back from making the jump – at least compared to the reported rush on units in Vancouver and Metrotown. Concord’s Park Place has had to rent out units to keep their buildings active, while Century’s CityPoint towers, completed in 2009, continue to slash prices to try to move their units. Tien Sher’s Quattro 3 and WestStone’s Ultra tower are both suffering themselves from slow sales, though the respective developers continue to build."

Interesting comment from paul hillsdon posted on civicsurrey.com, a bit negative imo, and an unfair comparison to vancouver and burnaby which are far more mature markets for condo;s ....whaddyathink??

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 9:27 PM
Website Manager

I wonder if what's going on in that last photo was part of the script?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:11 PM

You can see the progress on their application here http://developers.surrey.ca/AMANDA5/...Number=11-0075

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:35 AM

I chatted with a few sales persons associated with Wave and they are saying that currently the anticipated completion date is in 2015. Weren't specific as to start, mid, or end year though based on the height the where we're at in the process I would guess Summer.

Starting prices:

One beds start at $179,900
One+Dens start at $189,900
Two Beds start at $199,900
Two bed+Dens start at $209,900

As for Paul's comments, not sure. A bit of what he posted doesn't sounds absolutely correct. Like Park Place, out of 750 or so units Concord only has 40 or so left to sell. That makes pretty much 700 sold. Are they all occupied? No. And when I attended our first strata meeting Concord said (and this was mid January) that half the project (both buildings) were occupied so 350 or so units. 50% of that count is owners, 50% renters. I don't think that's too bad given the spotty past of the development and massive delays. Ultra is in the same boat last I had heard with not many units remaining. I've also noticed on my floor alone that in January there were 2 other units on my floor filled. Since then the entire floor is filled up.

Ultra's issue was and always has been price. It is over-priced imo. Slashing prices isn't because people won't buy in Surrey Center. Slashing prices is because they were just too over priced in the first place for that specific project. I remember a few years ago walking into the sales office and being told quite blatently that for "green, LEED, and renewable fancy features in Ultra, I should pay $100,000 more than the same size and floor unit in any other project of the type." BUT IT IS CENTRAL I was told over and over. I dunno but my walk from Park Place to Skytrain is quicker than Ultra to Surrey Central. And I'm not the only person that doesn't buy the "to be environmentally friendly you must pay double the price" argument you hear these days coming out of everyone's mouth be it buildings, cars, or eggs.

As an example, if my house is worth $400,000 and I turn around and put it on the market for $800,000 it isn't going to sell. If 2 years later I slash prices to $450,000 I can't suddenly claim that "OMG things aren't selling in the area I need to slash my prices!" because that's not an accurate reason as to why my unit isn't moving.

For City Pointe, have no idea about that project. I thought it had sold out or was near fully sold out. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't fully sold though. It is in the most difficult to sell area in Surrey along with Quatro. Quatro has a rough reputation right now. I've heard some bad things about the type of people moving in amongst owners. And let's face it, Gateway is still Gateway. It's improving but improvement is relative. Riding the Skytrain today we had someone get on at Scott Road who was 100% tripping on some kind(s) of drugs. Where did he get off? Gateway.

Finally, investors when it comes to condos. Almost every condo building in Vancouver and Burnaby is also over 50% investor owned. This isn't new. Surrey unfortunately still doesn't have as high a demand for rental units as Vancouver or Burnaby. You simply have more business activity in both centers. Surrey is growing but like I keep saying, we're still 5-10 years away from it being anywhere near the par of Burnaby/Vancouver for demand. Not to mention we're still in a market recovery.

Last edited by GMasterAres; Apr 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
For City Pointe, have no idea about that project. I thought it had sold out or was near fully sold out. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't fully sold though. It is in the most difficult to sell area in Surrey along with Quatro. Quatro has a rough reputation right now. I've heard some bad things about the type of people moving in amongst owners. And let's face it, Gateway is still Gateway. It's improving but improvement is relative. Riding the Skytrain today we had someone get on at Scott Road who was 100% tripping on some kind(s) of drugs. Where did he get off? Gateway.
Ironically, speaking to the Quattro reps the other week, they were bad mouthing CityPoint for the "type of people" that were choosing to live there. Party kids, drug lords, stuff like that. Quattro was for quiet, respectful, family-friendly folk. Ya right! It's all Gateway!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Ironically, speaking to the Quattro reps the other week, they were bad mouthing CityPoint for the "type of people" that were choosing to live there. Party kids, drug lords, stuff like that. Quattro was for quiet, respectful, family-friendly folk. Ya right! It's all Gateway!
Hehe it's quite interesting. One person moved into the tower here at Park Place and he said he _had_ a unit in Quatro. He was saying how "They said it would be Yaletown in the burbs... that's not what I saw. So I sold and bought here because I heard they will have concierge and security. Hopefully that keeps the drug dealers low-key."

Will take time. Things don't clean up over night unfortunately. And I've known people that live in Yaletown and there are drug dealers and yahoos there too. I have friends who work for the VPD and they all say every single tower high-rise in downtown Vancouver has at least 1 meth lab in it.

So welcome to the big city to people thinking it will all be roses and sparkles. Knocking on wood, things stay fine here in Park Place because I think Surrey has at least the best shot of in the short term making the areas around King George and Surrey Central good. They aren't bad now but there is still a bit of a reputation to deal with.

Gateway will be done last and I honestly don't think it will fully clean up until everything between 108th and 104th is taken down and redeveloped. That and they need to start filling in the completely empty lots around Gateway. I have a friend who moved into townhouses just down King George and the units are very nice an dpeople there nice but the complex backs onto 2 completely empty lots that are just filled with garbage, couches, etc. So no matter how nice your unit looks like, when it is fronted by a garbage dump, it doesn't bring in the people you want.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Starting prices:

One beds start at $179,900
One+Dens start at $189,900
Two Beds start at $199,900
Two bed+Dens start at $209,900
Wow. Those prices are very reasonable and enticing. I kinda like some of their Two bed/den designs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:19 PM

I just walked by the show suite last night and it's come along quite nicely. Any idea when it opens to the public?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Wow. Those prices are very reasonable and enticing. I kinda like some of their Two bed/den designs.
and some not so much - like the ones with no closets in the bedrooms - and some with no windows in the bedrooms...

good for rental i guess?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:08 PM

Info on the Grand Opening:

"Grand Open Apr 28 Wave Sales Centre at 133 St & 104 Ave, Surrey!! Get your Front of Line Cert & see Kirk McLean!"

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 9:27 PM

More info on the Grand Opening

Date: Saturday, April 28, 2012
Time: 9:15am
Parking: Available at the site
Address: 10375 133 Street, in Surrey (corner of 133 Street and 104 Avenue)
VIP Speaker: Diane Watts, Mayor of Surrey

http://www.waveliving.ca/wave-condo-...rday-april-28/

And official Rize Blog post: http://blog.rize.ca/2012/04/a-new-wa...yle-in-surrey/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:39 PM

So I totally slept through the grand opening. Did anyone here go through it? How are the prices looking like?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:27 PM

I drove by on the way to party in the planet....the launch was pretty packed. I had never seen so many porsches beemers and merc's, in whalley at the same time lol....it will be interesting to hear how sales went

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 7:55 PM

From their twitter feed: Our official sales date will be announced soon. Please visit http://www.waveliving.ca for the latest news and details

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:36 PM

Looks like they are scheduled to get their final development permit from council tomorrow. http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...LU_CURRENT.pdf

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:49 PM

they took out a full page ad in the coquitlam newspaper

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 11:49 PM

Rode over to the sales center today. They are quite nice units. I really do like the balcony design and how large and open most are. I dislike the no closet space and while the balconies are large, the overall units are small. For example the largest 2 bedroom with den unit are 780 sq feet. Compare to Urban just behind where their 2 bedroom units are more around 950+ sq feet. Yes you do pay for that but still in a 2 bedroom it seems quite small.

And once you factor in that nobody can live without closet space and start putting stand up closets to store your clothes, the space tightens up even quicker.

Still a good concept though.

I am only interested in the townhouse units and/or the penthouse suite but they have no information on either yet. Rode over to Urban village too and the prices are still a bit high for my liking for what you get but they do have townhouse still available.

Wish I could get more info out of Concord on Park Avenue. :-|

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:18 AM

The lack of closet space and counterspace were rather noticeable. My current place is 650 sqft and I can't see how it could fit a second bedroom. Seeing how they crammed one is impressive, but not enough to make me buy.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:34 PM

Does anyone know when these are supposed to go on sale and when they want to break ground by?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley