HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 5:22 AM

no its still there they just have covered up what they are a lot

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:16 AM

and some more pictures from my walk

all images are my own

Last edited by Whalleyboy; May 12, 2009 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:46 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I hope people don't take this the wrong way, but I beleive this is exactly the type of development that surrey should be chasing and not highrises. This development appears to have turned out pretty well. The density on these are acutally pretty comparable to most highrises and they don't appear out of place. Hopefully Vancouver proper sees more development like this outside it's core.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

As you typically are, you're exactly right jlousa.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:39 AM
Shoebox Dweller

retail set back from the sidewalk with stairs in the way? has this worked absolutely anywhere?

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:43 AM

it will work here

looking good

there are a few areas near gateway that should be flattened and replaced by something like this

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:47 AM

the biggest thing i want to see destroied by gate way is the building on the corner of city park way and 108

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 4:33 AM

it's ok, but the retail looks poorly done. i agree vancouver could use similar forms, including the fifth floor (or more, like the formshift winner).

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 7:11 PM

The steps look like they're because the site slopes down to the right. I think it's a reasonable solution - better than establishing the retail floor level at the lower elevation and having ramps inside some of the storefronts to come down to the retail floor level (like you see at various stores in Vancouver).

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:50 PM

that whole area is sloped towards the corner of 108 and east whalley ring

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 11:29 PM

I would like to see more highrises in the area! What I want is more people to move into Central City/Whalley, which will mean more stores, restaurants, retail to service the new residents. 4 story developments bring in maybe 200-300 new residents, not nearly enough to warrant all the retail space that needs to be filled up. A high rise can bring in 800 - 1000 people. 10 new highrises could potentially relocate 10,000 people to the area, which would translate into all kinds of new services. I'm happy to see the businesses that are "pioneering" in Central City, believing/hoping for growth (Like Central City Brewing Company). But I'd like to see Earls/Keg/Cactus Club move in, and maybe a Chapters and see the mall fill up. Small developments like this just won't cut it. I'm sure that Future Shop and Best Buy were banking on all 12+ towers being built right next door before they invested $$$ in the area (Infinity, Sky, Holland park, D'Corize, City Point).

Just my 2 cents... Of course if all of Central City were saturated with Quattro/Agenda/Element/Fuse type developements, it would be an improvement. But a tower brings more people in, and at a faster pace - I'm impatient...

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 11:33 PM

actually future shop has been in the area for years now way before all this development.

I too would love for more towers. Be happy Surrey is going up and has a strict rule against no new house in the city centre. I would rather see things like this being done then nothing at all right now atleast.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ View Post
I'm happy to see the businesses that are "pioneering" in Central City, believing/hoping for growth (Like Central City Brewing Company).
When I use to work there Central City Brewing Company was losing tons of money. Not sure how it is since they relocated the liquor store inside and began selling their own beer in there though.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
I would like to see more highrises in the area! What I want is more people to move into Central City/Whalley, which will mean more stores, restaurants, retail to service the new residents. 4 story developments bring in maybe 200-300 new residents, not nearly enough to warrant all the retail space that needs to be filled up. A high rise can bring in 800 - 1000 people. 10 new highrises could potentially relocate 10,000 people to the area, which would translate into all kinds of new services. I'm happy to see the businesses that are "pioneering" in Central City, believing/hoping for growth (Like Central City Brewing Company). But I'd like to see Earls/Keg/Cactus Club move in, and maybe a Chapters and see the mall fill up. Small developments like this just won't cut it. I'm sure that Future Shop and Best Buy were banking on all 12+ towers being built right next door before they invested $$$ in the area (Infinity, Sky, Holland park, D'Corize, City Point).

Just my 2 cents... Of course if all of Central City were saturated with Quattro/Agenda/Element/Fuse type developements, it would be an improvement. But a tower brings more people in, and at a faster pace - I'm impatient...
Is the different that large? 200-300 vs. 700-800? I'd be surprised if highrises yielded over double for the same land area, personally.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 12:10 AM

Two, 36-storey apartment buildings containing 698 units and 1,525 m² of commercial space.
t
hese are the 2 infinity towers oops i mean park place at central city=P

Four, 4-storey buildings, containing 472 residential units and 1,820 m² of commercial area.

and this is quatro

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 1:00 AM

there is a tower proposal for that area - there were renderings - gonna replace that skanky hotel and block of 108th and KGH area

i suppose as the economy gets better they will bring in that phase
I think part of it was a movie theatre complex too? and a highrise hotel?

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:45 AM

it would be nice to have a highrise hotel in central
the closes i saw to one coming was in the last city centre update thing there was a 9 story on proposed for the green empty lot behind the canadian tire.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Is the different that large? 200-300 vs. 700-800? I'd be surprised if highrises yielded over double for the same land area, personally.
That's my thinking. If you look t the Agenda, and the planned Ultra beside. The Agenda is 135 units, the Ultra 418 units - Triple the units. On the renderings, it looks like the Ultra will take up less land space than the Agenda. IF you count 2 people per suite, then you're looking at 270 for the Agenda and 836 for the Ultra.

Also, as near as I can tell, Future Shop opened November 21, 2006. The first website for the Infinity towers was centralcity2005.com. I remember Surrey Central mall (now Central City) becoming almost vacant. The Bay became Zellers, Sears closed down, then became a one story discount Sears Centre. Then all of a sudden there were announcements about Central City's re-development and Future Shop moved in. I'm sure they were counting on 1000s of new residents in the area that would all need new flat panel TVs when they moved in. I don't think they would have invested millions of $$$ if they thought the area would only attract new 4 story developments.

My opinion, the area needs many more local residents so that the vacant shops in Central City mall and the new retail spaces at places like the Quattro and Infinity will fill up. Right now the area is not yet a "destination" that will attract too many people from elsewhere to come and shop and spend. The fastest way to get more people to relocate to Central City is nice tall towers....

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 8:32 AM

I imagine that once Central City II is built and City Hall relocates there, the whole area will transform into something we just can't imagine right now.

After that comes SFUs residence towers, Holland Pointe, Berezen Towers ( )... the next ten years will be very defining for this area.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
That's my thinking. If you look t the Agenda, and the planned Ultra beside. The Agenda is 135 units, the Ultra 418 units - Triple the units. On the renderings, it looks like the Ultra will take up less land space than the Agenda. IF you count 2 people per suite, then you're looking at 270 for the Agenda and 836 for the Ultra.

Also, as near as I can tell, Future Shop opened November 21, 2006.
The first website for the Infinity towers was centralcity2005.com. I remember Surrey Central mall (now Central City) becoming almost vacant. The Bay became Zellers, Sears closed down, then became a one story discount Sears Centre. Then all of a sudden there were announcements about Central City's re-development and Future Shop moved in. I'm sure they were counting on 1000s of new residents in the area that would all need new flat panel TVs when they moved in. I don't think they would have invested millions of $$$ if they thought the area would only attract new 4 story developments.

My opinion, the area needs many more local residents so that the vacant shops in Central City mall and the new retail spaces at places like the Quattro and Infinity will fill up. Right now the area is not yet a "destination" that will attract too many people from elsewhere to come and shop and spend. The fastest way to get more people to relocate to Central City is nice tall towers....
future shop was open up on the corner of 102ave and east whalley ring years before that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley