HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:15 PM

that was what started the issue though - the union thought it was too risky for bus drivers to be "policing" the riders as it is what has lead to assaults etc.

i remember when i used to catch the bus way back in the 90's home from clubbing - when you could still catch a bus at 3 am - that loads of people got on without paying or only dropping some loose change in and the bus driver never refused anyone as he was apparently not allowed to

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 2:17 AM

I had my fare checked yesterday.

Four armed policemen stand by the doors on the sidewalk: one at the front, one at the second door, and two more at the third. When the bus pulls up they get on the bus. I'm sure they check tickets if people get off, but I didn't see it. Then when the bus starts, they begin checking. It takes maybe a minute, and they stand there waiting until it gets to the next stop. They didn't get anyone so I don't know how that works...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnny4 View Post
It was strange taking the bus today. Just to test to see if the fare-paid zone thing was in effect, I deliberately did not show my bus pass every time I got on a bus today. It was funny because most passengers didn't realize the change and were showing passes and tickets. As I got on the #6 bus this evening, all boarding passengers in front and behind me showed their passes and the driver nodded to each of them. When I didn't show anything, it took him a second to remember that I didn't need to show him anything and after remembering, he nodded to me too. Odd Translink moment.
I think you still have to show them the pass. It just that if they feel that you're trying to board the bus without paying, they can have the option to call transit police to deal with you, instead of trying to challenge you themselves. With fare paid zone, they can now charge you with $173 for fare evasion whereas before, they can only take you off the bus.

Quote from Translink's news release:
As they always have, operators will meet and greet passengers as they board the bus, review tickets, transfers, passes and payment of cash fares. Having the bus marked as a fare paid zone will allow fare enforcement to take place on a more formal basis and provides for a more effective way to deal with fare evasion, while reducing risks for the operators.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure