HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Cathedral Hill in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:49 AM

I saw on the CBC NEWS late night it's sold 70% of it's units on the first weekend.A very positive sign,maybe they could ask for a few more floors.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:33 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
I saw on the CBC NEWS late night it's sold 70% of it's units on the first weekend.A very positive sign,maybe they could ask for a few more floors.
Wait for the cooling off period to expire... that number might go down.

Nonetheless - good news. Can't wait to see this project get going!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:06 PM

Broccolini will be starting in March 2012:

Quote:
Mandated by the real estate company Windmill Developments, Broccolini will manage construction work beginning in March 2012. The project as a whole will be completed by spring 2014, the anticipated occupancy date of the condos.

http://www.broccolini.com/Broccolini...No&Current=Yes

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 9:09 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Absolutely hideous.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 10:21 PM

One side reminds me of a spaceship; the other, something SOHO or Claridge would build. It's something different and for that reason, I like it!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Absolutely hideous.
I'm not sure if I agree with you. People are always complaining that Ottawa's architecture is boring and that nobody takes any chances. Well, this design is definitely outside of the normal Ottawa box.

Having only given a preliminary glance to these drawings I can't say for sure how I feel about this building. At the very least, however, I tip my hat to a design that is unique.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 11:39 PM

Townhouse podium, good street interaction, interesting design, and done by a developer and construction company that have good track records. I see this being a decent project when finished.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 4:43 PM

Those are some sweet spaceship balconies!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 5:11 PM

Take flight, great spaceship!

I don't think it's hideous, just different. Not hugely boring, though, and that's a plus. Would have been a good locale for something like Charlesfort's The Merit.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 5:44 PM

This thing is absolutely not boring. I really like how it will interact with The Gardens

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Townhouse podium, good street interaction, interesting design, and done by a developer and construction company that have good track records. I see this being a decent project when finished.

My thoughts exactly; most definitely some of the best street level town-houses and podium we've seen yet.

Secondly I agree, a more traditional building like the merit with brick and glass facade like the beige twin towers at the end of Bronson and Queen (behind this project) would have been ideal for this property. However, on the flip side, perhaps a project that is creative and forward-thinking, like this one, will prove to become a catalyst for other developments across the city.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2011, 8:26 PM
Awesome!

Like the curved balconies and the lower floors. Well it's a good thing because otherwise it would look more like an ordinary box.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Absolutely hideous.
Why hideous? Because it is in Ottawa?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 5:30 PM

The ground level townhouses on Sparks are great. Those should be standard for podiums in urban areas. The way they've used existing buildings to mask the parking garage is pretty good, too.

The overall effect is a little strange, as the building obviously doesn't fit with its neighbours. It made me think of a tall, fat man trying to hide behind a shrub. Nevertheless, they got the ground levels right, and the townhouses set a very good example for the area.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 10:04 PM

It's definitely a good use of a podium, having front doors facing the street and the tower above and behind. It certainly took a while to get this design language to Ottawa. Other example would be Soho Champagne.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 5:23 AM

This is great! We are going to see some great things in that neighbourhood as Lebreton continues to fill in and new projects like this one pop up. Hopefully, in 4-5 years we will see some significant retail going in that area to make it more of a complete neighbourhood and not just a place to live.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 4:55 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
This is great! We are going to see some great things in that neighbourhood as Lebreton continues to fill in and new projects like this one pop up. Hopefully, in 4-5 years we will see some significant retail going in that area to make it more of a complete neighbourhood and not just a place to live.
I agree. This development (and Lebreton) should have the added benefit of better animating Sparks Street. Sparks actually is a pleasant place to walk (even when empty or in foul weather) as a pedestrian - part of the problem is that while it opens at a destination point on the east (the Nexus between downtown, Elgin, and Lowertown/ByWard), there has been nothing on the west to drive pedestrian traffic.

By creating an attractive, accessible residential (and hopefully in the future, diversified) neighbourhood on the west, this will drive greater activity on the street. This would especially be the case if the NCC would spend the money to build a staircase/elevator/cable car to get people more directly from the Fleet Street bridge up to Sparks Street over the escarpment.

In any case, returning to this condo itself - I actually really like the design, and feel it is appropriate for "official" Ottawa. The curves speak to design elements of the Museum of Civilization, which itself is within a greater context of buildings which "emerge from the landscape" (NAC, Civilization, National Gallery, War Museum).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post

By creating an attractive, accessible residential (and hopefully in the future, diversified) neighbourhood on the west, this will drive greater activity on the street. This would especially be the case if the NCC would spend the money to build a staircase/elevator/cable car to get people more directly from the Fleet Street bridge up to Sparks Street over the escarpment.
A simpler interim solution would be for the NCC to stop locking up the stairs and ramp in the Garden of the Provinces and Territories from December to April, as these are currently the most direct and pleasant connections between Fleet And Sparks St

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:03 PM

The design of the building isn't that bad...it's certainly a change from the rectangles only blocks away...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 7:44 PM
Mooderator

Looks pretty interesting. Those wide balcony views will be spectacular.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa