HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:16 PM
BANNED

I finally had a chance to hit up Delux BB on Bourbon St.

Nice enough looking location, though the whole Stripmall of Upscale Dining that Bourbon St stretches any attempt pretty thin.

Veggie burger was cold and fries were overdone. Still reasonably tasty, but not woo. Servers were unenthused and slightly underwhelming.

I give it a 2/5

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:23 PM
HVAC guru

Took my honey out for dinner on Saturday night to Cafe Select on 106st. Loved the atmosphere, great date restaurant. Had the three peppercorn steak done rare, it was one of the better steaks I'd had in a while. Service was great (My partner is an after work regular to the bar as he lives right around the corner so we did get a little preferential treatment) Great booze list. Two dinners, two martinis and a bottle of Merlot came in just shy of $100, well worth it IMO. I'll be back, hoepfuly when the cute little patio is open

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:39 PM
Urban Advocate

Skimming it, I read it as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
...Had three peppercorn steaks done rare,...

It looks like they couldn't make a go of it at the old Turtle Creek location, correct? I haven't been by there in awhile, but it seems to me it is something else there now, no?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Skimming it, I read it as:

It looks like they couldn't make a go of it at the old Turtle Creek location, correct? I haven't been by there in awhile, but it seems to me it is something else there now, no?
Original Joes Varsity is in the old TC spot on 109th.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 7:45 PM
Community Guy

Not sure why the 2nd location of cafe select didnt work out there, but i am happy to have the one downtown nearby. It rarely disappoints and has a great spectrum of menu choices.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:15 AM

The D'lish wine bar looks ready to open.

And Sherry Summerviles Place had someone working on it Saturday.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 2:33 AM

Also, a new wine and tapas place is opening up downtown St. Albert. Not exactly Edmonton, but what the hell.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 2:56 PM

Nice to here, After trying to find a good pub ( Bad Country Music and Even worse Karaoke) this might be the spot.

And ST Al has some great Restaurants that even Edmontoners would like.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 7:06 PM

Note to downtown Sunterra - please shut up that town crier selling "hot fresh cookies". Highly annoying.

Meanwhile over at City Centre, the newly-opened Pressd and Fatburger had huge lineups at lunchtime.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:19 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Note to downtown Sunterra - please shut up that town crier selling "hot fresh cookies". Highly annoying.
I noticed that too. Sets me in a tourettic fit.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 4:46 PM
HVAC guru

Went to Il Pasticcio this past Saturday after trying to get in the week before without reservations and being told we'd have to wait an hour. I'd been here before years ago so we thought that it was time for another visit.

It was clear that our server was very inexperienced and made several faux pas that you would not expect in a higher end Italian restaurant. We ordered wine, and our server was not familiar with their wine list and came back to tell us that they were out of that particular vintage, and in fact were out of about 1/2 of their red wine list. My partner was not impressed but we settled for a nice Merlot and ordered.

It took a while for our entrees but that was fine as we were told it might be a bit, the waitress became overly chatty when it was pretty clear that we wanted to be left alone. Finally dinner arrived, it was very good and made up for the rest of the experience.

To summarize, meal was terrific, service was mediocre to poor, the lack of wine was not impressive at all and I wasn't overly impressed with the ambience... the tables are too tight together for any type of intimate talk without being evesdropped on by neighboring tables.

Wine, two salads and two entrees came to about $120. I give this restaurant a fairly generous 3 out of 5

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 5:02 PM
Community Guy

My gf and I hit up 'the Juction eatery' (formally Garage Burger) last night. Slightly reno'd but the biggest difference is the meat patty.

One word - WOW!

I had the bacon mozza burger, she had the garlic mushroom, we shared fries, had pops.

The fries were almost a perfect balance between crispy and velvety insides.

The burgers were paired with fresh buns, bright red tomatoes, freshly cut spanish onions, and lettuce that was still crisp.

The staff was friendly, welcoming, and interactive.

$20.25 for all of that deliciousness...

I cannot wait to go back!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Went to Il Pasticcio this past Saturday after trying to get in the week before without reservations and being told we'd have to wait an hour. I'd been here before years ago so we thought that it was time for another visit.

It was clear that our server was very inexperienced and made several faux pas that you would not expect in a higher end Italian restaurant. We ordered wine, and our server was not familiar with their wine list and came back to tell us that they were out of that particular vintage, and in fact were out of about 1/2 of their red wine list. My partner was not impressed but we settled for a nice Merlot and ordered.

It took a while for our entrees but that was fine as we were told it might be a bit, the waitress became overly chatty when it was pretty clear that we wanted to be left alone. Finally dinner arrived, it was very good and made up for the rest of the experience.

To summarize, meal was terrific, service was mediocre to poor, the lack of wine was not impressive at all and I wasn't overly impressed with the ambience... the tables are too tight together for any type of intimate talk without being evesdropped on by neighboring tables.

Wine, two salads and two entrees came to about $120. I give this restaurant a fairly generous 3 out of 5
Ive gone a couple of times and that has been my experience as well. Good food - terrible service. We took guests from out of town last time and it was embarrassing. I won't be back.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 5:06 PM
HVAC guru

@ Cold, I will be sure to let Deb & Tracy know you were impressed!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 5:10 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
@ Cold, I will be sure to let Deb & Tracy know you were impressed!
Thanks 240, although I believe both were in the restaurant that night and I did let the staff know how solid a fare that was at a fair price.

I want another burger right now

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:57 PM
DRINK

A bunch of us from the office hit up The junction for lunch today. Despite totally screwing up two of our orders...it was great.

Those double beef and double bacon burgers are good. The beef almost tasts like A&W...just much thicker.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:18 PM
Community Guy

^yah... my mozza bacon was very 'mozza-esque' but for $2 WAY better.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:54 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
My gf and I hit up 'the Juction eatery' (formally Garage Burger) last night. Slightly reno'd but the biggest difference is the meat patty.

One word - WOW!

I had the bacon mozza burger, she had the garlic mushroom, we shared fries, had pops.

The fries were almost a perfect balance between crispy and velvety insides.

The burgers were paired with fresh buns, bright red tomatoes, freshly cut spanish onions, and lettuce that was still crisp.

The staff was friendly, welcoming, and interactive.

$20.25 for all of that deliciousness...

I cannot wait to go back!
Yeah, as I stated on C2E, the patties are big improvement save for the fact that the cook needed to work on the form of the patties. I will assume he has gotten that down to at least acceptable now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
A Better Place

Whats the address of The Junction Eatery? Wouldn't mind checkin this place out at all!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:05 AM
Urbis Maximus

106 Street bet'n 102 and 103 Ave (immediately south of Metro Billiards).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton