HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:36 AM
Bears of antiquity

811 5th Avenue | X | 41 Floors | Proposal

Is there a thread for this yet? I can't find renderings.

It's been upgraded from what I can see-- from 37 floors to 41.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't think there's a thread but we've definitely heard about it before. I know that the First United Methodist church will be moved if this tower is made but I don't know what will happen to the Rainier Club.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:21 AM
TEH KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I don't think there's a thread but we've definitely heard about it before. I know that the First United Methodist church will be moved if this tower is made but I don't know what will happen to the Rainier Club.
The sign says the Rainier Club will remain.

Anyway, I would like to know how tall this 41 story office tower will be.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:47 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Isn't this the 5th and Columbia Tower?

EDIT:This one:

got the image from the Seattle Compilation Thread

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:38 PM

yeah that is the rendering. the model in the zgf office has it a little taller then the municipal building so that puts it around 730'. that sounds really tall for a new seattle building especially one thats only 41 floors. my guess is though that they usually make these models pretty accurate.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 8:24 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wait. Wait. Wait. 730 ft? no no no. Where did you get this info?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 9:49 PM

wow! beautiful tower! Any ideas on when it will begin construction?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
TEH KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapug View Post
yeah that is the rendering. the model in the zgf office has it a little taller then the municipal building so that puts it around 730'. that sounds really tall for a new seattle building especially one thats only 41 floors. my guess is though that they usually make these models pretty accurate.
Do you think you could take a picture of the model for us?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 2:45 AM
good time not a long time

If it's 700+ feet and only 41 stories, then it would have some serious crown on it...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 4:16 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah. The base floors look kind of tall and it is in a hill. The crown could have a slope too and if measured from the lowest point of the tower to the tallest it could reach 700 feet. It's also office which means floors are higher and it might have a service floor or 2 which are usually higher than other floors.

And hey, if the Shanghai World Financial Center was 56 floor when it reached 1,000 feet than this tower can be over 700 feet.

EDIT: Also, it could be that the building is raised a little since the First Methodist Church and Rainier Club are in the way.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:25 PM

The First Methodist Church and the Rainier Club are having a major impact on this project, but during design review the architects were lauded for their careful consideration of both. It appears from the PDP website that zoning remains an issue. Here's the design review report for this project: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...gendaID942.pdf.

It is being developed in the unrestricted height zone, so, it could indeed reach 700ft. Haven't found any published heights for this project.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

It looks like the loading area was an issue, but nothing egregious; the spacing between the building and the sanctuary is a definite issue, though.

However, I'm seeing the design and it seems that if they gave up some of the lobby, it should be fine. I wonder if the design as is placed the elevators on that side causing the conflict?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

A smart idea would be to make some lower floors that the church can use or maybe even some in the lobby floors. That way the church would get space and the developers would be allowed to build the tower. It would cost more but they would get to build the tower.

Or they could raise the height of the lobby floors and make the Northside of the towers lobby be under the main structure (like the Rainier Tower but only one side and not curved). That way the tower would be taller and the church wouldn't be damaged and have more space in between the tower and church.

I like the design and the floors increasing in size as they move upward is a good idea but it would look nice if after 1/3 of the way up they started decreasing or else it would look like it's about to fall into 4th ave.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:24 AM

the church is moving to 2nd and denny I don't know what the sanctuary will be used for I think a theatre of sorts would be nice especially if more residential comes to the area soon I've seen the model of the tower and the size of the floorplates do begin to decrease after a certain height

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 7:45 PM

Whatever the details... it's a YUMMY looking tower and would be a nice addition to that area of the CBD. Let's hope it doesn't get lost in the dark gloom of BofA's leviathan Columbia Center or the City's Muni tower (nee -AT&T Gateway, Key Tower).

Remember, that is an awfully steep hill the tower would be built on, so 700+' doesn't seem too unreasonable for 44 floors plus some type of crown or fabulous hat - preferably lit up to shit so you can see it from anywhere in the city!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 7:49 PM

Almost looks a bit like a Sir Norman Foster design doesn't it? Anybody hear who the architect is yet? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was his... it's got his paw prints all over it.... diagonal bracing, clear glass, odd angles are a few that come to mind. Anybody else notice this?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2007, 4:34 PM

It's a Foster knockoff.

If he was the architect, there'd be more news about it here and on SSC. Some forumer would have already asked the mods to re-title the thread with Foster's name in the title.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:26 AM

this has to wait for the church to move before it can start doesn't it. or can they lease some space for a couple years so zgf can just get started.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 2:42 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

this going to be a green building too?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:31 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
this going to be a green building too?
It's ZGF, so I'm certain it will be-- and I'm pretty sure they'll gloat about it, too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West