HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:33 PM
-

Rendering of a new restaurant and lounge in the Hotel Monteleone called Criollo

New addition to Caroussel Bar

http://hotelmonteleone.com/criollo/

Interesting project from the arts council

http://evacuteer.org/public-art-as-e...ick-up-point-m

City Greens (909 Poydras St., 524-2822; www.eatcitygreens.com), the newest salad slingers in the CBD, opened in late January.

Johnny V's Opens Uptown
  It's been a long time coming, but Johnny V's (6106 Magazine St., 899-4880) is now open, serving dinner Tuesday through Saturday.   The restaurant is a partnership between former Cafe Degas (3127 Esplanade Ave., 945-5635; www.cafedegas.com) chef Ryan Hughes and former Clancy's Restaurant manager Johnny Vodanovich, who also runs Monkey Hill Bar (6100 Magazine St., 899-4800; www.monkeyhillbar.com) just next door.

Encore Academy, the newest charter school approved by the Orleans Parish School Board, has set its sights on converting a warehouse on Washington Avenue into a school building to serve Uptown families when it opens this fall...Heres the warehouse

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:44 PM

Hmm not too hot for the Evacuteer public art installation, I am not sure if I would like to be reminded every day about that topic.

Let's use the funds for getting more people out! Not advertising (in slick fashion no less) free rides.

Gonna get flamed, but cest la vie

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 9:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Hmm not too hot for the Evacuteer public art installation, I am not sure if I would like to be reminded every day about that topic.

Let's use the funds for getting more people out! Not advertising (in slick fashion no less) free rides.

Not sure how I feel about it either! Depends on how subtle it is I guess.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:06 AM

Thought of ya'll when I saw this (YIMBY going national!):

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...or-moratorium/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
Thought of ya'll when I saw this (YIMBY going national!):

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...or-moratorium/
Love this type of thing!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post

I agree about putting more emphasis and funds into evacuating people, but the art doesn't bother me at all. If you live here it is a part of life that you have to deal with anyway, might as well make it tasteful. At least people will be more aware of where to go and not be wandering all over the city, slowing things down, when evacuation day actually comes like in 2008.

Free rides, meh....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:26 PM
-

The first pilings are in the ground for the $1.1 billion hospital planned to replace Charity Hospital, which has sat empty since Hurricane Katrina.

Pile drivers began work Monday, Tom Rish, project manager for the state Office of Planning and Control, told the University Medical Center’s board Thursday. That’s a couple months later than he’d hoped, but construction should still be completed on schedule, he said.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...blic-hospital/

Two Hilton hotels in downtown New Orleans are undergoing major renovations.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...wntown-hotels/

I hope they eventually reskin the Doubletree Hotel. That is one ugly facade!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 10:53 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
The new hospital buildings will all be on pilings, but subsidence would damage parking lots and at least some of the ground was likely to drop as much as 30 inches, Rish said.

“We didn’t feel like reconstructing parking lots a year after it was done,” he said.

So a year’s worth of subsidence is being compressed into months.

To do that, 83,000 wicks of felt-like geotextile around a plastic tube — about one for every two square yards of land — are being poked into the 34-acre site by machines called “wick stickers.” Then so much river sand is dumped on top that its weight squeezes water out of the soil, pushing it up through the 42-foot-long wicks and into surface drains that carry the water to collection points and an offsite drainage area.

“We’re utilizing approximately 45 to 50 truckloads of sand per day,” and expect to use a total of 300,000 cubic yards, Rish said. That would fill the U.S. Capitol Rotunda twice. Sand will be moved from place to place on the site as the work continues, Rish said.

The contractor monitors instruments that indicate when enough water has been pushed out and the ground is dense enough, Rish said.
What a massive effort. I'm sure it's insanely expensive, but I wish we did more of this in New Orleans, especially on streets.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What a massive effort. I'm sure it's insanely expensive, but I wish we did more of this in New Orleans, especially on streets.
That's interesting. I've seen that that's what they do to build islands and additional land in the Netherlands. Its kind of funny that that process is so similar to creating artificial islands

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:18 AM
-

Permit pulled for new signage by Champions Square.
1450 POYDRAS ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70112

Project Description:
INSTALLATION OF (2) SETS OF ILLUMINATED CHANNEL LETTERS AND LOGO ON THE NORTH & WEST ELEVATION AS PER SKETCH.

Sav A Lot opening a grocery store on the corner of Earhart and S Carrolton.

Work Location
3033 S CARROLLTON AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70118

Project Description:
ERECTING (1) ILLUMINATED DOUBLE FACED MOUMENT SIGN AS PER SKETCH AND CITY PLANNING'S APPROVAL. ( SAVE A LOT FOOD STORES)
Owner:
SAV A LOT
3033 S.CARROLLTON
NEW ORLEANS LA 70118

Didnt realize South Market District updated their site plan.

Couple things I notice is the plan suggest they will own the entire block(Girod Julia Okeefe and S Rampart) also they will cut a street through the block along loyola!

New Renderings For Airport

Construction Progress on Press It Bistro and Automat

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:03 AM

Good to see the old Walgreens at Earhardt finally being put to use. Also, holy cow to the airport renderings. That is a major improvement over what is there now...especially in the "dungeon/baggage claim" area. On another airport note, I saw in the paper the airport had a 4.2% increase in passenger traffic for 2011. That's a nice increase, and set a new post-K record for overall traffic. Maybe the increase will result in some more non-stop destinations down the road.

The city is also finally demolishing some blighted apartments along I-10 in the east. These buildings had missing walls, etc. Good to see them come down.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:59 PM
TL;DR

Baggage claim still looks like crap, and will continue to look like crap regardless of the finishes until they make it feel more spacious. Get rid of that damn drop ceiling and paint the air ducts/conduit that sit above.

I'm glad they understand it feels dated, but that isn't the big problem.

The upper levels look nice, though. What are the swooshes supposed to be? Draped fabric? Some kind of glass Chihuly knockoff?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Baggage claim still looks like crap, and will continue to look like crap regardless of the finishes until they make it feel more spacious. Get rid of that damn drop ceiling and paint the air ducts/conduit that sit above.

I'm glad they understand it feels dated, but that isn't the big problem.

The upper levels look nice, though. What are the swooshes supposed to be? Draped fabric? Some kind of glass Chihuly knockoff?
They addressed baggage claim and said there isnt anything they can do with the low level of the ceilings other than what they show above. It will be a dramatic improvement over whats there but its ultimately a reason they want to build a brand new terminal on the north side.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:02 AM

Manning Architects

Not sure if this was posted but the site for Manning Architects has some very interesting designs for various projects throughout the area. Ranging from the new terminal at Louis Armstrong to the Union Terminal Redevelopment...

http://manningarchitects.com/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Not sure if this was posted but the site for Manning Architects has some very interesting designs for various projects throughout the area. Ranging from the new terminal at Louis Armstrong to the Union Terminal Redevelopment...

Interesting... haven't looked at the UPT plan yet but the airport plan looks like it would be three terminals each with their own parking, with a people mover connecting the terminals to an overflow parking lot. I like the idea.

http://manningarchitects.com/project...rt-master-plan

You can also access the UPT and Poland Ave Cruise Terminal plans from that link.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:08 AM

Msy

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post

My favorite piece on their site is the redone airport on the Veterans side of the runways. I especially like the little train station. It looks like there's a new I-10 exit that takes you directly to the front of the airport too.

Edit: The train idea is great, but instead of being on the East side of one terminal building, it should be on the West side and have a stop at each building, to make it more convenient.

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:17 AM

I didn't know if yall had seen this:

Hopes for opening a Bass Pro Shop in time for the 2013 Super Bowl at the Market Street power plant have been dashed as vicious battles in the bankruptcy reorganization of Market Street Properties LLC, the owner of the 111-year-old building, shattered the company's original timetable. "We've exhausted two years in federal court fighting for the remedies of all the people who have invested," said project development manager Michael Ullian, who is working on lining up tenants for the building and surrounding area. "It was a real fight just to get control."

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l_may_ree.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:47 AM
TL;DR

I'm not holding out much hope for this anytime soon.

I initially was a little put off by the notion of a Bass Pro in the city, but if parking is handled in a responsible manner (a big if) the Bass Pro is probably the best tenant for the building. It's so huge that they could preserve all the amazingly vast interior spaces without inserting new floorplates or chopping it up into smaller spaces.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:09 PM

Mid-City Market

Quote:
Developer: 80 percent of Mid-City Market already leased

Developers behind the Winn-Dixie-anchored Mid-City Market to be built on North Carrollton Avenue say they have pre-leased a majority of the 107,000-square-foot shopping center.

Covington-based Stirling Properties completed the financing and acquired the land for the development in mid-February. Demolition work started on the site this week and the shopping center is expected to open in early 2013.

Townsend Underhill, vice president of development for Stirling, said the $30 million development is 80 percent leased.....
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...lready-leased/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
I didn't know if yall had seen this:

Hopes for opening a Bass Pro Shop in time for the 2013 Super Bowl at the Market Street power plant have been dashed as vicious battles in the bankruptcy reorganization of Market Street Properties LLC, the owner of the 111-year-old building, shattered the company's original timetable. "We've exhausted two years in federal court fighting for the remedies of all the people who have invested," said project development manager Michael Ullian, who is working on lining up tenants for the building and surrounding area. "It was a real fight just to get control."

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l_may_ree.html
I wonder if they have now decided to move the store to the Six Flags redevelopment. There was an article about an sports/outdoor retailer being interested. Maybe we will find out tonight as there is a meeting planned about the Six Flags development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations