HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 4:53 AM
Uptowner's Avatar
Uptowner Uptowner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 206
Here are some photos and a map of all of the Airports current planned projects.

Concourse D Expansion


West Terminal Annex (rumored to be new home of Southwest)


Consolidated Car Rental Center


Terminal exterior improvements


Check-In lobby improvements


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__________________
Care never forgot us, we just never cared.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 2:38 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,031
This proposal sounds like the renovation of one of the highrises downtown. Not many buildings that can hold 200 units. Anyone have any other information?


http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1392614.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 5:05 AM
Uptowngirl Uptowngirl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 320
Rault Center maybe?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 7:07 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 10,705
When was the last time we saw something on Bidclerk actually get built? It's really just used for basic cost estimates at an early phase of planning, so a developer has a rough idea of what size loan he needs.

My initial thought was that this is for the UNO building at Canal and S. Robertson, but that's not really big enough for 200 units.

Plaza Tower, maybe?
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 12:50 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,031
Actually quite a few things on there get built. The Trump Tower and some of the others were the main ones that never got built. However it seems every apartment proposal has eventually gotten built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 5:08 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 10,705
I've been pretty surprised at how much pent-up demand there is for downtown apartments. Apparently 930 Poydras is already completely leased, and has been for awhile now. That makes me optimistic for Maritime and Saratoga.

I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.

In other news, the BioInnovation Center and the Cancer Research Center are both looking really good. I can't wait to check them out once they open.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:38 PM
WesternSon WesternSon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 170
I think the future of Downtown nola is bright. I think there is demand for apartments there but dont think all are created equal. 930 poydras hit a homerun. They have a combination of good location, easy/safe parking, accept all size dogs and have the safety and security of a building instead of a walk up. Thats a lot to like.

The success of the Maritime will be telling. I dont think the location is as good. Parking is an issue and they dont allow pets, no pool, no gym. At the same price point as 930...

Moving to NOLA in january after an internship here this summer. I loved it and cant wait to get back! also if you here of a good apartment or rental that takes large behaved dogs let me know!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 4:54 PM
rcp11889 rcp11889 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 176
I think the Maritime is a great location and beautiful building and will do fine. Not so sure about the Saratoga, though. Not the best location. Who knows, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:02 AM
urbanwatcher urbanwatcher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
''I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.''

This has been taking into consideration already.

http://www.neworleansdowntown.com/th...pters_4b_5.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:13 AM
SlidellWx's Avatar
SlidellWx SlidellWx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,017
I wonder if the apartment project is for the old Hibernia Bank building. I remember reading that HRI is planning to renovate the building into apartments now that Capital One is over in Place St. Charles. It's a very large building, so it seems feasible to me.
__________________
Slidell, LA...The Camellia City
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:24 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I think the future of Downtown nola is bright. I think there is demand for apartments there but dont think all are created equal. 930 poydras hit a homerun. They have a combination of good location, easy/safe parking, accept all size dogs and have the safety and security of a building instead of a walk up. Thats a lot to like.

The success of the Maritime will be telling. I dont think the location is as good. Parking is an issue and they dont allow pets, no pool, no gym. At the same price point as 930...

Moving to NOLA in january after an internship here this summer. I loved it and cant wait to get back! also if you here of a good apartment or rental that takes large behaved dogs let me know!
pretty sure the Maritime has a rooftop pool and the units are a bit larger than 930.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:28 AM
tennis1400's Avatar
tennis1400 tennis1400 is offline
http://djsnola.tumblr.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I wonder if the apartment project is for the old Hibernia Bank building. I remember reading that HRI is planning to renovate the building into apartments now that Capital One is over in Place St. Charles. It's a very large building, so it seems feasible to me.
Whatever happens to that building I hope its something special because it could be phenomenal if done right. A hotel/apartment hybrid would be ideal I think.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 9:37 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
''I really wish the city could set up some incentives to renovate the upper floors of the retail buildings along Canal and rent them as apartments.''

This has been taking into consideration already.

http://www.neworleansdowntown.com/th...pters_4b_5.pdf
Yes, I've read that before. But that's not an incentive program - it's not even an RFP. It's just a feasibility study with some nice watercolors. I want to see the city being proactive about development instead of the very, very passive role it's taking now. Especially now, with a great need for more tax revenue, new development is greatly needed all over the city. Cities across the country are having budget problems, but very few of them are attempting to run a 500,000-person city with the tax revenues from a 300,000-person city.

We've got the tools to really bring in new development - a streetcar line bringing rail service to a very under-developed part of downtown, a stadium that's nearly brand-new with all the renovations, two massive hospitals on the way, and the possibility of the ugly Claiborne viaduct coming down. But development will not come unless the city jumps in and gets its hands dirty luring developers and helping them get through approvals.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 6:08 AM
urbanwatcher urbanwatcher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
Yes i agree,the city really needs to continue with development on all fronts.I actually think New Orleans might be a different city ten years from now.The new hospitals are going to help in the largest way possible.I have the feeling that once they are built,a wave of gentrification will develop from canal all the way to St Benard ave.I already know of people buying houses in anticipation of renewal.As a former resident of the Tulane Galvez area,i have no problems with this.If a neighborhood and the housing stock is not being taking care of,i think it's more than fair if people want to take it back from blight.I've always had mixed feelings on urban renewal but in recent years i started thinking about it more pragmatically.I think this city if any can strike a balance between local culture and mainstream economic necessities.We can be a competitive city without losing our soul.Part of that is offering what few cities have,linear urban integrity.It use too be that there were only pockets outside of uptown that maintained any sense of modern living.Now one can travel from uptown to the bywater with a maintained feeling of a common social.North claiborne being redeveloped with the removal of the projects and possibly the interstate may work in favor of this.The last few post have implied this as well in the idea of making downtown more and more residential.It gives me hope Seeing the transformation of NYC from the hell hole that it was into what it is today.It faced worse problems not to long ago and came out of it.I know it's not the same situation but again it gives me hope.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 4:39 AM
midcity midcity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32
Your point of lack of tax revenues could probably be expanded further. I think the city's maximum population was over 650,000 in either 1967 or 1968, and has been decreasing ever since. So it is attempting to run an infrastructure built for that size population with only a 300,000 to 350,000 person city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, I've read that before. But that's not an incentive program - it's not even an RFP. It's just a feasibility study with some nice watercolors. I want to see the city being proactive about development instead of the very, very passive role it's taking now. Especially now, with a great need for more tax revenue, new development is greatly needed all over the city. Cities across the country are having budget problems, but very few of them are attempting to run a 500,000-person city with the tax revenues from a 300,000-person city.

We've got the tools to really bring in new development - a streetcar line bringing rail service to a very under-developed part of downtown, a stadium that's nearly brand-new with all the renovations, two massive hospitals on the way, and the possibility of the ugly Claiborne viaduct coming down. But development will not come unless the city jumps in and gets its hands dirty luring developers and helping them get through approvals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:58 PM
WesternSon WesternSon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 170
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...mplex_the.html


More rumblings/news about Iberville. Seems a little grandiose to think that major retail chains are dying to move in. I would prefer an idea that redeveloped (or just removed) the housing, and allowed some room for creativity of the market, not planning by committee.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:40 PM
sguil1 sguil1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 364
From same article...



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 8:42 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...mplex_the.html


More rumblings/news about Iberville. Seems a little grandiose to think that major retail chains are dying to move in. I would prefer an idea that redeveloped (or just removed) the housing, and allowed some room for creativity of the market, not planning by committee.
Yeah, it does seem a little surreal. And how will this work with/compete with the proposed development around the Power Plant, which also envisions big-box stores and national chains? Can the downtown market absorb both projects?

In other news, the Rice Mill Lofts in the Bywater seems to be well into construction. I think they've scaled back from the ambitious design shown on Wayne Troyer's website, though.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 10:49 PM
urbanwatcher urbanwatcher is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
''Also, she noted that the Regional Transit Authority has set its sights on a St. Claude Avenue streetcar and is trying to secure its share of financing for the corridor in order to vie for a federal grant that would cover the rest.''
From recent article

Has anyone heard about this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 1:07 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
vertical
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: unconventionally bicoastal
Posts: 10,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanwatcher View Post
''Also, she noted that the Regional Transit Authority has set its sights on a St. Claude Avenue streetcar and is trying to secure its share of financing for the corridor in order to vie for a federal grant that would cover the rest.''
From recent article

Has anyone heard about this?
Yeah, it's supposed to go down Rampart/St Claude to Press, then back down St. Claude to Elysian Fields and around the Quarter. That's Phase II of the project... phase I (Canal to the UPT via Loyola) was funded in the first round of TIGER, and NORTA applied for a TIGER II grant for the second phase. They didn't receive the grant, though, so they'll probably have to submit a request through the regular New Starts process.

__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.