HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 12:17 AM
designer&stuff

An impressive photo,
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:10 AM

While utterly basic, this side is indeed a lot better than the vaguely traditional facade visible from the west.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jun 13, 2007 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:46 AM

This building has become a distincition in the S.F. skyline standing all by itself in SOMA towering over its neighbors. It will soon be joined as the SOMA district becomes more concentrated with towers. Soma is just another Microcity being built along with the new Mission Bay. Very exciting stuff!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 9:46 AM
BANNED

The whole thing is modernist glory--but especially the proportions. It may be the most truly slender highrise I can recall seeing anywhere. "Vaguely traditional"--such nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:38 PM

Its shaping up to be a beautiful building. I don't think its so bad that its right next to the bridge, but I don't like how you have to walk across the very congested Harrison street to get to downtown. With all of the money that the developer is spending, it would be nice if they also built either an elevated pedestrian walkway (like the one being torn down at Millenium) or a pedestrian tunnel under Harrison.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
A hint of things to come...
This is such a great image. Looks like it is just continuing the line of the bridge towers. Nice, tall, slender, attractive(I also like how not all four sides will look alike). This is just the kind of tower that will look great in San Francisco. How could anyone be opposed to this? It makes the view better IMO. It is an improvement! I would KILL to have this tower going up here.
I almost wish it would remain their alone in splendid isolation. Being alone on a hilltop well above everything else it reminds me of the Coit Tower.

*just checking out all the San Francisco threads..sick as a dog and home from work*

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
I don't think its so bad that its right next to the bridge, but I don't like how you have to walk across the very congested Harrison street to get to downtown. With all of the money that the developer is spending, it would be nice if they also built either an elevated pedestrian walkway (like the one being torn down at Millenium) or a pedestrian tunnel under Harrison.
I love that it's so close to the freeway. It's a neat feeling driving by it.

SF's Planning Dept. does NOT like elevated walkways. The planners think anything that diverts pedestrians from street-level sidewalks is BAD and especially view-blocking overpasses. And what's the big deal about crossing Harrison? They'l likely also have to cross Folsom and Howard and Mission. When I go out the front door, I have to cross Van Ness--much worse. It's the city after all. Ever cross Park Avenue?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Vaguely traditional"--such nonsense.
I am talking about the west elevation, the one that is distinctive. It reads as a series of stacked porticos. It is reminiscent of some work by Ricardo Bofill, or Kohn Pedersen and Fox in the eighties. The reference to Coit Tower is spot on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:24 PM

I'm not opposed to crossing busy streets in the city. I do it all the time. I just think that certain areas are especially bad, such as the onramps to the Bay Bridge. Actually, I think that crossing Harrison further down, such as by Main and Spear isn't as bad.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
The reference to Coit Tower is spot on.
For me that's a plus--I've always like Coit Tower a lot--but it's temporary. When the 3 other nearby towers (including the One Rincon tower 2) get built--and maybe some others--it'll look quite different. I envision "a shining city on a hill"--but that's just me.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Infinity tower reminds me of Coit Tower more, when I am crossing the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:21 PM

My Coit Tower reference was meant in the most positive way possible.

Funny how in that pic the tower almost looks like it has the same shape and form as a suspension bridge tower..tall and narrow. And with the vertical and horizontal white lines and the more solid white top, it almost looks like it could be the design of a bridge tower. If instead of white verticals and horizontals it had white diagrids it would REALLY look like an extension of those bridge towers. This building will pass the test of time well IMO. It blends very well and this is(sort of) the kind of thing I was hoping they might do for the Transbay or Piano towers-tall, slender, seeming to pick up on some of the existing forms(if not colors) in the region-prominent-not a ground breaking design-yet not too 'out there' as well-but very 'appropriate' IMO. While again not a groundbreaking design(which often suck-look at Tour Phare)It does not look like the "mediocritizing' that has been discussed in other threads regarding SF. It promised to be beautiful, tall and slender and it looks like it is living up to that promise.

Now if only I has a few extra million laying around to move there... Oh well.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
Waiting for what's next..

Thumbs up Inside, looking out...

I call this one, the Brannan Bedroom View...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1321/...2c318014_o.jpg

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 12:02 AM
BANNED

I'm not sure when the Carnelian Room shot above was taken, but I looked hard at the thing today and I think maybe we have all but the roof, the tanks and the crown now. That would mean they would have done two more floors since that shot which seems reasonable. (I'm counting from the setback--I believe there will be six "setback" floors and there are 4 in the Carnelian Room shot, I think I see 6 now but the top floor is roofless).

Is there a "topping out" celebration coming up?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 1:46 AM

I wanna buy a unit in this building!!

[although its cliche to say... too bad I can't afford one]

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 2:49 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

This is the most exciting addition to the skyline in decades. There isn't anything about it I actually dislike, including the skin, and much I do like: its tall height; its slender shape; its reflective materials; its engineering. I also like how One Rincon symbolizes the return of the new skyscraper to San Francisco, the rise of a new residential district of the city, and the city's amazing ability to continue changing, growing and prospering despite the NIMBYs and their collective civic death-wish. There is no better place for such a skyscraper to rise.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 2:57 AM

I am just blown away by how signifigant of a building this is.

I just hope that there is more to come...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 2:58 AM
BANNED

^^^ with fflint

I want to propose Dean Macris for sainthood. I think it was under him that the Planning Dept. suggested the developer make it taller which I am unaware of that city department ever doing before or since.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 3:00 AM

Here's a picture of 125 Summer Street in Boston. I find some similarities in the treatment of the main facade:
http://www.equityoffice.com/properti...yType=Building

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jun 14, 2007 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^ with fflint

I want to propose Dean Macris for sainthood. I think it was under him that the Planning Dept. suggested the developer make it taller which I am unaware of that city department ever doing before or since.
of course, you are aware that he also presided over the development of the very planning code and zoning framework that essentially crushed the development of exciting tall buildings in san francisco for more than 20 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive