HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:01 AM

I really like the massing of this tower. It actually doesnt overwhelm the surrounding area. And if my eyes arent going bad, I like the stepbacks it has on the present building. Detailed renderings, when released, should be quite impressive. I really like what Im seeing so far. Thanks.

Slightly Off Topic: Sorry in advance but what is that large development in the background on the river?

That second picture seems to alot of massing for future towers. Let the march south continue.

One more edit: Is the roof at an angle?

Last edited by SevenSevenThree; Jun 27, 2006 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:02 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
What I have so far... I've seen better, more beautiful renderings of this tower, and I will do my best to obtain them.
Thanks a lot, BVictor... it seems pleasant and tasteful, although not especially memorable yet. Hopefully some refinements will make the difference.

Concerning the second photo, Chicago looks so small from that perspective, almost palm-sized! Everything in that photo is so massive, it's hard to get a grasp on the scale...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree
Slightly Off Topic: Sorry in advance but what is that large development in the background on the river?
That is Riverside Park (now called "Riverside District") planned development.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
That is Riverside Park (now called "Riverside District") planned development.
Ah, so thats Riverside Park. Thanks.

Continue Park Michigan discussion...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:24 AM
BANNED

I have always wanted to catch a new biggie come alive in the making.

Could this be it?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:26 AM

I'm dying to see the South and West elevations to see how this thing ties together the YWCA, the 10 story podium and the tower.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
The above is incorrect. The building would be tied for 12th tallest, by these criteria, and provided other things don't start first.
Tied for 12th?

At 850', it would be tied for 11th tallest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 7:44 AM

Rendering looks good, better than I expected out of the firm. Definitely took the lead of Waterview but I definitely like the crown setbacks on this one better... could be really good (maybe great), can't wait to see more.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the rendering, BVictor. I like the 2nd shot but I like to critique a bit: 340TP looks a bit taller than Aqua and its twin tower. Another aspect: it is interesting to see the planned 4-high rise towers at One Museum Park. According to BVictor (I may be wrong), 3rd or 4th tower could be 100' taller than OMP u/c.

Last edited by Chi_Coruscant; Jun 27, 2006 at 11:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 1:44 PM

Quote:
An email I received...

830 SOUTH MICHIGAN

There is a public meeting on Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 6:30 p.m. ( Jones College Prep, 606 S. State St.) on a very important high-rise to be built on Grant Park at 830 S. Michigan. This is planned to be a tall, slender tower. We have worked for a long time to convince the communities and others that it would be much better to have a taller, thinner, elegant building on Grant Park's south end that help shape the skyline and balance the high-rises at the north end of the symmetrical Grant Park. The 830 S. Michigan tower is planned to be over 70 stories.

With 830 S. Michigan, 1000 S. Michigan, and the One Museum Park high-rises on Roosevelt Road at the south end and the Legacy, Heritage at Millennium Park and 340 E. Randolph and the Aqua and potential Aon condominiums at the north end, Grant Park is one of the hottest real estate markets for condominiums in tall elegant buildings with unobstructed views of Grant Park and Lake Michigan. There are also many condo conversions on Michigan avenue like eh Metropolitan Tower.

We are promoting Grant Park as a community and we want to activate it with more residents and help frame the park symmetrically from Roosevelt Road to Randolph with tall slender, well-designed high-rises that create the landmarks of tomorrow. These types of buildings: will block less light, shape the skyline ( one of the top skylines in the world) and growing, are environmentally-friendly using very little land and having access to public transit and pedestrian friendly design. These Grant Park buildings need to be cutting-edge in design as they will be viewed by millions of people enjoying the lakefront and driving Lake Shore Drive and there will not be any buildings obstructing the views of them. Their design is very important as they will be very visible for generations.

Currently the site is an ugly, asphalt surface parking lot on Wabash and a derelict historic building on Michigan Avenue that will be renovated. We believe that by promoting tall high-rises downtown on Grant Park, we can energize and attract more retail and energy to the once sleepy south Grant Park area. This will also help make the area more safe.

Also, as part of the project the historic YWCA building on Michigan Avenue will be renovated. It is currently derelict. A new grocery store and restaurant are also part of the project.

Thank you,

Anyone still going to attend this meeting?

I wanted to go but the lovely measles is not being kind to me. Damned viruses.

Last edited by SevenSevenThree; Jun 27, 2006 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 2:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
What I have so far... I've seen better, more beautiful renderings of this tower, and I will do my best to obtain them.
nice work victor. i don't really see any comcast center connection, as was rumored earlier, but that's fine. this tower has got potential all its own. thin is most definitely in.

the image above has now been added to page 1 of the rundown thread.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree
Anyone still going to attend this meeting?
Hell yessssss. I think that everyone of us who can attend, should attend. We can't just talk about things and say what should happen and would like to see happen. We need to show action and be proactive.

I hope that many of you who support this project can come to the meeting. This tower needs to be built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 2:25 PM

STR, you taking notes...... ??

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 2:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1
Tied for 12th?

At 850', it would be tied for 11th tallest.
Yes, technically, you are correct. Sorry - I typed that quickly. What I meant was that there would be 12 buildings that tall, or taller, in the city. I'll go back and correct my first post, since it's too prominent to ignore.

Let's just hope that Mandarin of FS gets underway, and then we'll all be right.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Hell yessssss. I think that everyone of us who can attend, should attend. We can't just talk about things and say what should happen and would like to see happen. We need to show action and be proactive.

I hope that many of you who support this project can come to the meeting. This tower needs to be built.

I can't go because of an exam that I have at the same time. But I am urging everyone to go to this meeting. The purpose of this meeting is for Ald. Hiethcock to gauge the public feelings on this project. She wanted to chop this building down to 40 stories eairlier because of local community opposition, and she will demand the project is scaled down if opposition occurs, because don't forget next year is election year, and she needs to be the 'savoir' proctecting the 'intrests' in the neighborhood from "out of scale, overbearing development". The NIMBYs have already expressed prevoius opposition to this project, especially our friends in Printer's Row, Dearborn Park and 910 S. Michigan (which probably has the heighest concentartion of complianing NIMBY bitches in the city). The NIMBYs will use this meeting to run thier mouths, and once a few start complaining, the whole room is filled the deludge of NIMBY 'concerns': traffic, views, light, shaddows, traffic, density, noise, traffic, lack of privacy, local school overcrowding, setting a precident for the area, traffic, wind, terrosim target......And any of the other bullshit claims.

If little support is shown, this project will be scaled back, so if you want this building to happen, and have thursday evening free, go there and some words of support. Lie about living in the area if you have to, but make yourself heard, even if its just a few words. Ald. Heithcock needs to be shown voters like this building at its full height and they see it as an asset to the community.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 3:18 PM

Wow! I just heard the news. How wonderful and exciting for the South Loop.

I think the units would sell better if the city covered all the RR tracks in Grant Park.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 3:36 PM

In addition to attending the meeting, you should email and call Alderman Madeline Haithcock.

Don't forget to kiss some ass if you are emailing. Thank her for her past support of development in the South Loop. Mention that she has been instrumental in preserving historic buildings and promoting cutting edge development, and that Park Michigan is both. Mention explicitly that you support the height of the building. If you live in her Ward, mention that. If you don't, don't. On the "Subject" line of the mesage write something like "I support "Park Michigan", 830 S Michigan" or something like that.

When you call her office, leave a clear message of support on one of the voicemail boxes. If you get a human, don't expect much interest on their end, just tell them that you want to send the Alderman a message of support for the Park Michigan development at 830 S Michigan. Explicitly say the words; "I support it". They won't ask you if you live in her ward. If you do, mention it.

mhaithcock@cityofchicago.org

Phone: 312-913-0222

Community Meeting
Thursday, June 29th 6:30 PM (Come early to see the the model and renderings)
Jones College Prep
606 South State Street (at Harrison)

Last edited by Loopy; Jun 27, 2006 at 4:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 4:48 PM

It was good to meet many of you last Thursday. I live across the street from 830 on wabash, and will definitely be at this meeting to show community support for the project. I'll also email Alderman Haithcock. We need more ground level retail/restaurants in the area. The taller the better on this one.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 5:03 PM

Yes, please come and try to speak a few words of support at the meeting. The fact that you live across the street should have a lot of influence.

Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2006, 7:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
In addition to attending the meeting, you should email and call Alderman Madeline Haithcock.
Just sent an e-mail message... I hope everyone does the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive