i'm interested in compiling a list of the tallest buildings ever to be voluntarily demolished. what i mean by that is perfectly fine and structurally sound buildings that were taken down purely at the choice of the owner, usually for the purpose of erecting an even taller structure. what i'm not inlcuding here are towers that have been destroyed or damaged in attacks (wtc), or towers that were later taken down after they had been struck by a great calamity such as a bad fire or a tornado or an earthquake, etc.
this is what i have so far, if anyone has info about the buildings i have question marks (?
) for, please add everything you know about when and why the building was demolished.
1. Singer Building, NYC - 612 ft. - demolished in 1968 to make way for One Liberty Plaza
2. Morrison Hotel, Chicago - 526 ft. - demolished in 1965 to make way for First National Plaza (now named Chase Plaza)
3. City Investing Building, NYC - 486 ft. - demolished in 1968 to make way for One Liberty Plaza
4. J.L. Hudson's, Detroit - 439 ft. - demolished in 1998 because ?
5. National City Bank, NYC - 433 ft. - demolished in ?
6. State Office Block, Sydney - 420 ft. - demolished in 1997 to make way for Aurora Place
7. Savoy-Plaza Hotel, NYC - 420 ft. - demolished in 1964 to make way for the General Motors Building
8. CAGA House, Sydney - 410 ft. - demolished in 1992 because ?
9. First National Bank, Pittsburgh - 387 ft. - demolished in 1970 to make way for One PNC Plaza
10. Hanover National Bank, NYC - 385 ft. - demolished in 1931 to make way for the expansion of 14 Wall
11. Centre International Rogier, Brussels - 384 ft. - demoolished in 2001 to make way for Dexia Tower
12. Landmarl Hotel & Casion, Las Vegas - 365 ft. - demolished in 1995 to make way for Las Vegas Convention Center parking lot
13. Furama Kempinski Hotel, Hong Kong - 361 ft. - demolished in 2002 to make way for AIG Tower
14. Wilson Mendes Caldiera, Sao Paolo - 361 ft. - demolished in ?
15. 60 Wall Street, NYC - 351 ft. - demolished in 1977 to make way for J.P. Morgan (now named 60 wall Street)
if you've got better images for any of these towers, please post them.