HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
My main concern is actually the large concrete side - a perfect blank canvass for graffiti punks - and that is what the real eyesore is going to be.
I concur. In addition, I also suspect that the colors on the panels may fade over the years which will not be visually pleasing.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Jan 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 1:52 AM
Loser

A different perspective...

I think it's funny that it would prolly blend in better if it were clad like a normal parking garage. Cladding the building in something to keep it from looking like a garage, is one thing, but it doesn't have to attract attention to itself at the same time.

I bet the colours will be toned down some from what the rendering shows.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:05 AM

Should have just made it out of brick. or simply like the brunswick square garage.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 5:42 AM

First Half of 2013 Office Markets Expected to Be Stable with Positive Demand Conditions Resuming in Latter Half of 2013

Saint John

In Saint John, within the last 90 days the office market posted the highest vacancy rates in the country, at nearly 20%, as a result of the closure of contact centre space and justice-related tenants relocating from third-party space to a new provincial government building. This situation will remain for the short term, until such time as assets or spaces are repurposed, which is likely, or replacement occupiers take advantage of the beneficial pricing. Over the longer term, the market is expected to move back to equilibrium, due to three factors: an accelerating U.S. recovery, possible route changes to the XL pipeline that would redirect it from west to east rather than Alberta to the U.S., and spin-off business potential presented by the $25-billion dollar shipbuilding contract won by Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...34+BSW20121219

University Will Help Grow Saint John Economy

The Vice-President in charge of U-N-B Saint John, Dr. Robert MacKinnon warns it would be a mistake not to view higher education as a significant engine for future economic growth in the region.

Dr. MacKinnon points to the research being done at the university's Canadian Rivers Institute and in health care with Dalhousie University. He maintains that research is just at the beginning foundational level with much more to come.

Dr. MacKinnon says that's one reason why there has been so much focus placed on enhancing the Tucker Park campus by the Regional Hospital.

Posted by CHSJ News at 4:33 AM

Local Economy Being Bolstered By Small High Tech Companies

Most Saint Johnners might be surprised to learn there are a hundred or so I-C-T companies in the city employing more than 3 thousand people.

It even came as an eyeopener for the President of the Saint John Board of Trade Imelda Gilman during a business tour organised earlier this year for politicians to get the lay of the land when it came to the local economy.

She calls it exciting that many of these companies are working away under the radar in the uptown historic buildings to not only build up their own businesses but also offering support to start ups and developing technology for other parts of the economy.

Gilman sees I-C-T being a key cluster for economic growth in the future.

Posted by CHSJ News at 4:29 AM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 1:31 PM

The police vacated 4 floors of 15 Market Sq and Irving Oil moved their engineering department from CentreBeam to the new office complex on the refinery site. They also moved their employees from Aliant building back to Golden Ball building. My point is I don't think it's reflective of job losses.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmontreal View Post

first half of 2013 office markets expected to be stable with positive demand conditions resuming in latter half of 2013

saint john

in saint john, within the last 90 days the office market posted the highest vacancy rates in the country, at nearly 20%, as a result of the closure of contact centre space and justice-related tenants relocating from third-party space to a new provincial government building. This situation will remain for the short term, until such time as assets or spaces are repurposed, which is likely, or replacement occupiers take advantage of the beneficial pricing. Over the longer term, the market is expected to move back to equilibrium, due to three factors: An accelerating u.s. Recovery, possible route changes to the xl pipeline that would redirect it from west to east rather than alberta to the u.s., and spin-off business potential presented by the $25-billion dollar shipbuilding contract won by irving shipbuilding in halifax.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...34+bsw20121219

university will help grow saint john economy

the vice-president in charge of u-n-b saint john, dr. Robert mackinnon warns it would be a mistake not to view higher education as a significant engine for future economic growth in the region.

Dr. Mackinnon points to the research being done at the university's canadian rivers institute and in health care with dalhousie university. He maintains that research is just at the beginning foundational level with much more to come.

Dr. Mackinnon says that's one reason why there has been so much focus placed on enhancing the tucker park campus by the regional hospital.

posted by chsj news at 4:33 am

local economy being bolstered by small high tech companies

most saint johnners might be surprised to learn there are a hundred or so i-c-t companies in the city employing more than 3 thousand people.

it even came as an eyeopener for the president of the saint john board of trade imelda gilman during a business tour organised earlier this year for politicians to get the lay of the land when it came to the local economy.

She calls it exciting that many of these companies are working away under the radar in the uptown historic buildings to not only build up their own businesses but also offering support to start ups and developing technology for other parts of the economy.

Gilman sees i-c-t being a key cluster for economic growth in the future.

posted by chsj news at 4:29 am
this is exactly the direction saint john needs. Invest and expand post secondary education!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
The police vacated 4 floors of 15 Market Sq and Irving Oil moved their engineering department from CentreBeam to the new office complex on the refinery site. They also moved their employees from Aliant building back to Golden Ball building. My point is I don't think it's reflective of job losses.
Great information Cdnguys. In addition to that, Wyndham, which vacated 85 000 Sq and rented 43 000 Sq, significantly downsized and I think the contact center they referred to in the article is Pivotal Payment (vacated 16 000 Sq in Place 400)

As you all know, the owner of the TD buidling is adding new space but at this point, there is no indication of what is going up there but something will be occuring, I will keep you in touch with it. TD Insurance has been in a steady hiring mode for the last couple of years. Moreover, IBM may need some new space for a new contract. There is vacant space adjacent to their contact center that can be filled in.

On a side note, the Harbour Building along Price William Street is getting a brick facelift. The UNB Inprint book Store along King Street and Coles in Lancaster Mall are closing.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Jan 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Great information Cdnguys. In addition to that, Wyndham, which vacated 85 000 Sq and rented 43 000 Sq, significantly downsized and I think the contact center they referred to in the article is Pivotal Payment (vacated 16 000 Sq in Place 400)

As you all know, the owner of the TD buidling is adding new space but at this point, there is no indication of what is going up there but something will be occuring, I will keep you in touch with it. TD Insurance has been in a steady hiring mode for the last couple of years. Moreover, IBM may need some new space for a new contract. There is vacant space adjacent to their contact center that can be filled in.

On a side note, the Harbour Building along Price William Street is getting a brick facelift. The UNB Inprint book Store along King Street and Coles in Lancaster Mall are closing.
I hate seeing In Print leave. Hopefully another book store takes over.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_johnns View Post
I hate seeing In Print leave. Hopefully another book store takes over.
With digital platforms for books (and music) I don't think there will be any book stores in 5 years time with the exception of diversified stores like Indigo.
It's a really nice space and I'm sure Commercial Properties (Irving) will be choosy for a new tenant.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 11:11 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So my girlfriend who always exhibits patience when I talk about Saint John, got me this for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Saint-John-Pos.../dp/0738572713

If I find anything really cool I'll post it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 12:36 AM
Loser

Quote:
The UNB Inprint book Store along King Street and Coles in Lancaster Mall are closing.
Quote:
With digital platforms for books (and music) I don't think there will be any book stores in 5 years time with the exception of diversified stores like Indigo.
Blacks is closing in McAllister Place as well. It seems like all photo shops, music stores and book stores are doomed. It was sad to see Appleby's go. At least I can still get enlargements done at Costco.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I think it could turn out very well, I like the colours and that they have some relief and dimension to them (some colours are more flush with the wall than others, and so forth). It will also diminish the visual impact of the cage-like window openings, which can only be a positive.
I also like the colours and the vibe..SJ could use a little flash!!

on a different note, this is kinda cool..

http://live.cbc.ca/Event/CBC_NB/60091122

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
on a different note, this is kinda cool..

http://live.cbc.ca/Event/CBC_NB/60091122
Better quality than Saint John's Google Earth imagery, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:12 AM
Haru Urara

With the way Lancaster Mall has been lately i'm presuming something should fill in for Coles soon. If the Coles there wasn't doing well I can't imagine The Source will last much longer.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 2:30 PM

CIBC - Canadians Cities : An Economic Spashot

http://research.cibcwm.com/economic_...ro_monitor.pdf

On a side note, the unemployment rate in Saint John edge up to 9.9% in December from 9.3% in November. The second highest among CMA across Canada according to Statistics Canada.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:00 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:

On a side note, the unemployment rate in Saint John edge up to 9.9% in December from 9.3% in November. The second highest among CMA across Canada according to Statistics Canada.
That is alarming and embarrassing. I do not understand why Saint John is constantly under-performing economically. A city with so much potential yet not capitalizing on it. I guess this is what happens when your economy is monopolized by one corporation...

Why Moncton is where it is now is anyone's guess lol

Last edited by Peter_johnns; Jan 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:

I own a company. I employ people. January 15 I'll report to the government how many people I employed in December. They don't ask whether my employees are full time or part time. This is the standard reporting period for monthly payroll deduction remittance, i.e. a lot of small businesses use this reporting method and period.

It's a complete mystery to me where employment stats come from, because I know they don't include my company (corporation), and presumably many other small businesses. If it's anything more than an educated guess, I'd be amazed.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_johnns View Post
Why Moncton is where it is now is anyone's guess lol
I don't know what you're getting at. They didn't include Moncton in any of the metrics that they measured.

I presume Moncton was left out because we are a relatively new CMA (only declared in 2006). That would be my guess.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't know what you're getting at. They didn't include Moncton in any of the metrics that they measured.

I presume Moncton was left out because we are a relatively new CMA (only declared in 2006). That would be my guess.
I think what he was trying to say is that Moncton has done incredibly well to keep up with Saint John over the years despite the fact that they don't have a superpower employer like Irving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces