HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 7:17 AM
Karma Police

It looks like a moon gate, like in the Chinese Garden. Is it the entrance to their "private zen garden"?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 2:21 PM

I think the zen garden is on the south side of the building. This circle is on the northwest corner. Saeternes, are you out there? Since you're going to be living at the Benson, I'll bet you know all about these design features!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 5:13 PM

i see it now!
btw the way her are some construction pics i haven't seen from the website:
July 7th forming elevator core levels 23 to 24

July 17th columns levels 23 to 24

July 17th kitchen cabinets level 2

July 17th

July 18th pouring level 24

July 21st

July 24th Windows on level 16 Pouring level 25

i couldn't find the circle in any of these pictures

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 12:45 AM

i thought i might take my first pictures of the benson
if there is any confustion i grabbed the photos from the above post from the benson website these i actually took today:

the infamous circle thingy

i wish they would take the plastic stuff off the windows

thats all
BONUS!!
I guess there isn't a civic thread so here we gonot much)
from afar

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 2:55 AM

circle

No, I don't know what the circle is. But the building includes:

spa & fitness center
library overlooking sculptured water feature
private Zen garden & terrace

The water feature is supposed to be on three sides. Could this be part of it?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 2:48 AM

the circle is part of the water feature, i think its the waterfall.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 8:09 PM

benson does not follow the renderings at all ! whats up with the blank walls in this picture where there were supposed to be windows( three last floors with facade) Are thery just walls or windows with protective covering?

Last edited by hi123; Aug 1, 2006 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 10:37 PM
westbound

Location: Spokane (via Columbus, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Portland, Valparaiso, Chicago, Philadelphia, and my beloved home of Dayton...)
The pattern of the exterior skin is the same as the rendering, but the blue plastic on the grey panels is rather off-putting. It's the same type of protective plastic they put on watch crystals. My guess is that they're waiting to remove it all at once for something of a grand unveiling.

I walk past the Benson every day and have noticed what a dramatic addition to the skyline it is making when viewed from the Southwest Hills. If you haven't seen it from that angle, I suggest a trip to the areas of SW Montgomery, Rivington, Cardinell, etc.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yeah, it looks great from the Vista bridge...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 11:06 PM
Portland Moderator

I was going to the farmers market and came within about 3 blocks of the tower. Damn that thing looks so skinny from some angles. I mean, like a huge wind would blow the thing over, skinny. The skin, IMO, sucks, but I'm glad this tower was built!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 1:21 AM
Bears of antiquity

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 3:43 AM
No longer PDX

The Whole Foods building on the Brewery Blocks or the Cristalla (SP?) tower in Seattle are examples of using an existing facade as part of a completely new building. Not sure if that would work for the Rosefriend but it seems like it would be preferable to the current faux historic plan for the base.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:28 AM

Hey, nice work you two! I see what you mean about the Cristalla as an idea for the Rosefriend. The development team could at least have demonstrated that they considered an idea like that. Preferably, the building could continue seeing life as low to low middle income residence, but after all, it does face Broadway. Common sense tells even me, that side of the block should command serious rent. Still, I think it's worth the effort to at least consider other ideas for an intact Rosefriend into the future. The task requires sombody with a little more moxie than those behind the wheel right now.

Excellent initiative by the poster crew. Glad to see their work, only wish they would have avoided using "fucking" in their text. Especially with the church being involved, that kind of language can work against a spirit of co-operation. In this instance though, at this point in the game, the effort is a far shot better than nothing at all. Good going people, and church: please try and be understanding about their choice of expression.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:51 AM
A before E

I am happy that at least one of the two buildings are going to be saved.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher519
The pattern of the exterior skin is the same as the rendering, but the blue plastic on the grey panels is rather off-putting. It's the same type of protective plastic they put on watch crystals. My guess is that they're waiting to remove it all at once for something of a grand unveiling.

I walk past the Benson every day and have noticed what a dramatic addition to the skyline it is making when viewed from the Southwest Hills. If you haven't seen it from that angle, I suggest a trip to the areas of SW Montgomery, Rivington, Cardinell, etc.

Or as I like to say the view I get of the building everytime I walk out of my place. I love living at the bottom of the SW hills.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 3:10 PM
Portland Moderator

the whole sticker things seems like some sort of teenager anarchist thing to do. Lets sticker up the neighborhood...yeah, we want to stop this tower so the neighborhood feels and looks better, but we are going to trash the area by sticking profane stickers everywhere...brilliant!

Enough nonsense peeps! I can't believe there are any Nimbys in that extremely non-pedestrian section of Broadway. They claim the height is going to hurt the park's feel...well, what about the people offering you crack, meth, and pot when you walk through the park, that smell of pee when you walk past building doorways, or the homeless taking up full benches so you can't sit and relax in the park if you wanted. This tower should hardly be their biggest concern.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 4:26 PM
westbound

Location: Spokane (via Columbus, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Portland, Valparaiso, Chicago, Philadelphia, and my beloved home of Dayton...)

I live at the bottom of the SW Hills as well. We must be practically neighbors

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 6:50 PM

yeah this tower could help improve the environment...but probally not

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 7:32 PM

There’s merit in championing the needs and values of the common man rather than those of a bunch of rich developers just because they can draw out enough cash to throw up a building that generally disregards some of the most important aspects of what makes Portland a beautiful place to live.

Yes, the posters do sound like the work of the local activist community, but they at least, now knowing about this situation, are doing something to bring it the public’s attention to it, unlike some people who knew 2 years ago, and did nothing. Too bad their technique lacks the refined, sophisticated manner of expression that avoids offending the tender sensibilities of some people.

Wouldn’t be as bad if the Ladd Tower design showed the slightest spark of creativity, but it doesn’t. It’s a dud before even the first beam of steel has been raised.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2006, 7:57 PM
Portland Moderator

^I don't disagree that the Ladd Tower could be so much more. There are a lot of new condo towers in Portland that should have been much more than their finished project turned out to be. Just take a drive through the Pearl.

That doesn't mean that a less than inspiring design shouldn't also get approved. The developer and church worked through the city process, they followed the guidelines that were required, they even researched the height limits and such, and therefore there is no pratical reason to deny this building the right to be built. My parents live in Cornelius, there is a WalMart proposed about a mile away from their home. They don't want the WalMart in their neighborhood, but the land was zoned for this type use and when WalMart submitted their proposal, even though my parents don't like it, they decided they needed to work with the developer of the supercenter to get traffic calming devices, better landscaping, and restricted hours for delivery instead of trying to mothball the project.

The opponents of the Ladd somewhere in their mind think, 'hey, we don't like this project so we are going to stop it.' I've stated here and elsewhere that if the developer was willing to reconfigure the tower to save the Carriage House, they obviously, if worked with in a civil manner, might have saved the Rosefriend as the base, or stepped back the tower to take a shadow off the park. However, this all or nothing game usually means that 9 times out of 10, even if their purpose is just, the opponents will loose the battle and instead of getting some concessions, will walk away empty handed.

There is no reason to be plastering stickers that say F'in disgrace, or however they phrased it. When your intention is to stir up controversy through vulgar manners, the other side is hardly inclined to stay at the table.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > SSP: Local Portland > Downtown & City of Portland