HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Russia Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisblack View Post
Norman Foster is a genius and this one of two towers he's building in Moscow will look brilliant. Even though there taller than there tallest building in the world at the moment it won't mean it will be high in comparison when it gets built. I like the design and it would look good in Manhattan, Dubai or a city like London or Sydney but I don't think it will suit Moscow. I think some of these stunning designs should go to cities like London Sydney New york and Paris where they will be appreicated because of height but a skyscraper doesn't look good next to house it's got to have things it's own size around it.

10/10 for design
4/10 for location
You didn't even bother to check out stuff that goes on right next door - buildings that beat anything in Paris or London in height and bulk. Next time you post, make sure you know exactly what you're talking about.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:37 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Come on. Update time. Pictures? News? Anything that shows progress on this tower.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 4:03 PM

Searching for technical details

Hi folks

I actually writing a thesis about supertall buildings. Does anybody know something about the heating/cooling system of the Russian Tower??? On Foster´s page the information is very generally. Thx

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Come on. Update time. Pictures? News? Anything that shows progress on this tower.
Well, construction of slurry wall is going on, but it is a pretty boring process, machines just stay there and dig holes in the ground, moving to a new part of the site every few days.

Only really interesting update is a new board, stating that slurry wall should be finished by 20.07.2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
26/07/08

Новый плакат! Указана дата окончания работ.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 8:53 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

July 20 of next year? Gees, why is it taking it so long for this tower to rise? Are there any problems or was it meant to take a while?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 12:54 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

^Obviously I know absolutely nothing about constructing buildings but if I had to guess I'd suppose that with a base so massive and perhaps the type of soil they're dealing with the time is about right. And now that I think of it, is there anything going in underneath this giant ?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 8:11 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah but they're been working on the plot a long time. Just want to know why. The one building I want to get built doesn't.

Anyways, I read a book fairly new, maybe the beginning of this year or end of last year, that said this tower was 1968 feet tall not 2009. Does anyone have any information on this? Could it just be that the researcher got it wrong?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 11:23 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Well, look at the Chicago Spire. They've been working on that site for, what? 14 months? And they still are working on the foundation. These sort of giant structures have a lot going on underneath; needless to say they need thousands of TONS of concrete and steel to support another thousands of tons worth of building that's going to be 2,000 feet tall. The CS won't go vertical for another year, so I'd expect the same for the Russia Tower. Both towers will need almost 2 years of foundation work, that's just how big and deep they need to be.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 7:23 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Hmm.. makes sense. Just wish they had started work on this tower earlier. Only the best 2,000 footer out there! How has the economy affected this building? How was Russia affected by the economic "crisis" anyways?

And some picture updates would be nice.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Hmm.. makes sense. Just wish they had started work on this tower earlier. Only the best 2,000 footer out there! How has the economy affected this building? How was Russia affected by the economic "crisis" anyways?

And some picture updates would be nice.
Like the rest of the world, Russia's economy is not doing well now, but this tower survived through harder economic shocks.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 5:14 PM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

This is one of the most interesting projects in the world right now. I hope it does get built.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 2:34 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisblack View Post
Norman Foster is a genius and this one of two towers he's building in Moscow will look brilliant. Even though there taller than there tallest building in the world at the moment it won't mean it will be high in comparison when it gets built. I like the design and it would look good in Manhattan, Dubai or a city like London or Sydney but I don't think it will suit Moscow. I think some of these stunning designs should go to cities like London Sydney New york and Paris where they will be appreicated because of height but a skyscraper doesn't look good next to house it's got to have things it's own size around it.

10/10 for design
4/10 for location
The surrounding area actually rivals Dubai's Marina in supertall density.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 11:17 PM

What, you guys don't know yet? Russia Tower is unfortunately on hold for a month already, because of the global economic crysis. We will have to wait until situation on credit market improves.

Photo by igor:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:03 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

What? I don't believe it! Source? If this is true it's a bad sign. Well, for me. Even more than the CS being put on hold. It's not fair!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:37 AM
Booooring!

if thats true, thats really too bad, the Russia Tower was going to be stunning. I'm sure it'll get done.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 8:43 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

Quote:
What? I don't believe it! Source? If this is true it's a bad sign. Well, for me. Even more than the CS being put on hold. It's not fair!!
the pics should be source enough. you can clearly see nothing goes on at the site

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Crunch cripples Europe's tallest tower

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Construction work has stopped on Europe's tallest building after developers said their lofty ambitions had been hit by the global financial crisis, a Russian news agency reported Friday.
The credit crisis meant there was no possibility of paying for the Norman Foster-designed 600-meter (1,968-foot) Russia Tower and no demand from tenants to fill it, Shalva Chigirinsky, head of developer Russian Land, was quoted as saying.
The tower in Moscow's new business district was slated to be Europe's largest building when work started in 2007, when Russian construction was booming. The partially-built tower already soars above other office blocks in the area.
It was originally due to have been completed in 2011 and would have been one of the world's largest amid a boom in supertall building projects, particularly in the Gulf states.
"The project is frozen," Chigirinsky was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency. "This is the decision we have made."
Since work started, development and real estate have been badly hit by the financial crunch with companies halting projects and housing prices slumping.
"We don't see any opportunities on the market to finance the project, nor do we see demand for it," Shigirinsky was quoted as saying. "We have no idea whatsoever what will happen tomorrow."
Neither Russian Land nor Foster & Partners were available for immediate comment on Friday.
Source

The article did mix up this tower with another project though in describing its progress, if this one truly has not really gotten started yet.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:31 PM
Editor

I'm disappointed about the news for this building. I was really looking forward to seeing it built. I suppose it will be built, but we will have to wait.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
Pacific Wonderland

MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Construction work has stopped on Europe's tallest building after developers said their lofty ambitions had been hit by the global financial crisis, a Russian news agency reported Friday.
The credit crisis meant there was no possibility of paying for the Norman Foster-designed 600-meter (1,968-foot) Russia Tower and no demand from tenants to fill it, Shalva Chigirinsky, head of developer Russian Land, was quoted as saying.
The tower in Moscow's new business district was slated to be Europe's largest building when work started in 2007, when Russian construction was booming. The partially-built tower already soars above other office blocks in the area.

Huh? Are they talking about another tower? They really haven't even dug down for this tower yet.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:11 PM
Ground Scraper

Do they mean the taller tower of the Federation building? Come on, AP!
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive