HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Why doesn't the Journal get rid of the ability to post comments? It's only the snivelling, bitter, vocal minority.
Haha.... funny u mention that..I cancelled my acct yesterday....I cant take it anymore!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:05 AM
Traditional Ale User

Goddam that concept looks fantastic. Beauty.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
There is a plan B for the remaining $100 million.
No can spill?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:19 PM

Quote:
There is a plan B for the remaining $100 million.
Yeah, MSI is going to increase by about $150 - $200 million ($600 million province wide) for Edmonton in 2014-15 according to the PC Party Platform. Coincidence or just good timing? You be the judge.

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Apr 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
Haha.... funny u mention that..I cancelled my acct yesterday....I cant take it anymore!
let the Journal know
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:26 PM

Photoshopping humor has begun...this was on Global Edmonton:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/stor...576/story.html

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:56 AM

^^^ Man, that gigantic pork chop is sure going to put Square 104 to shame...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:49 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Photoshopping humor has begun...this was on Global Edmonton:

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/stor...576/story.html

Weird. I didn't know Global was a medium for photoshop humor. Must've been a slow day

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:48 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
^^^ Man, that gigantic pork chop is sure going to put Square 104 to shame...
T-Bone, actually. And Square 104 should be an early addition to the chopping block of redevelopment if you ask me. It will be an under-developed site within 10 yrs given the location and projected growth plans.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
T-Bone, actually. And Square 104 should be an early addition to the chopping block of redevelopment if you ask me. It will be an under-developed site within 10 yrs given the location and projected growth plans.
If Square 104 is that horrific low-rise apartment building, don't expect it to go anywhere soon. IIRC, serious coin was paid for it by a pension fund advisor.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:19 PM
Urban Advocate

Sure, but the value is in the land, not the building.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
^ I stand corrected on the meat slab

I can't see 275+ $1100-1500/mo units being taken offline for a veeery long time. I think the best we can hope for is a redevelopment/reskinning of the part of the site into something more suitable. There's just such a plentitude of undeveloped sites in the area, it's going to be a long time until demand ramps up the redevelopment potential of existing structures like Sq104

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:41 PM

Square 104? They may as well paint Lenin murals on the walls.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Sure, but the value is in the land, not the building.
That's certainly not how the acquisition would have been viewed. It would have been valued as a cash-flowing going concern, which implicitly would have ascribed measurable value to the improvements. Didn't Morguard buy it?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Staples: Why not call new arena Oil Dome? Pork chop? Comma? No, design inspired by oil drop, Katz says

BY DAVID STAPLES

EDMONTON - The inspiration for the curvy shape of Edmonton’s proposed downtown arena is an oil drop, says Oilers owner Daryl Katz.

One design option is for the roof of the arena to light up at night, Katz said.

An architecture buff, Katz has been closely following all the discussion around the arena design, and responded when I asked for more details.

“The feedback on the arena design has been great,” he says. “We aspire to create an entertainment centre for the Capital region and northern Alberta and thought the oil drop might capture the spirit of what we’re trying to do. 360 Architecture came back with something that I think really celebrates Edmonton as a forward-looking and progressive city, the capital of one of the world’s great oil regions, and the home of the Edmonton Oilers.

“The design also ties into the surrounding community in a way that I think everyone agrees is very important.”

In the Columbus arena district, 360 Architecture designed Nationwide Arena with a tower that shoots a beam of light high into the sky on event nights. The lighted roof concept for the Edmonton arena would have something of the same effect. It would certainly provide a stunning visual from the sky and from Edmonton’s office towers.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...996/story.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:59 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
If Square 104 is that horrific low-rise apartment building, don't expect it to go anywhere soon. IIRC, serious coin was paid for it by a pension fund advisor.
So it's all rentals?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:00 PM

I cant weight to see this build as it will turn Edmonton into a world class city. Finally , Edmonton can have something that Calgary does not. We will never have the amount of towers downtown as Calgary does but we can have taller towers maybe. I think the Arena will give Edmonton's down town a new beginning and that we will see many new residential towers as well as corporate head offices with in a few blocks of the Arena.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:09 PM

^ Don't assume Calgary won't build a new NHL arena. They've been talking about it down there for a while, and are likely just in a wait & see mode until ours is done. Not only is Calgary's current arena getting old, but they've been losing out on major touring acts because the Saddledome is unable to accommodate their stage equipment. That's why an act such as Lady Gaga will play 2 nights in Edmonton instead of 1 gig per city. In fact, I have this irrational fear that some of these acts would likely skip Edmonton altogether if they can just play in Calgary because of geography, travel and the ongoing perceptions of each city. Which is why we need our downtown arena ASAP.

Where Calgary would build theirs is another matter. Does their downtown have a large plot of empty lots to build on?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:52 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ From what I've heard, any new arena would likely be within spitting distance of the Saddledome on the same lands.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
So it's all rentals?
Yup, in all its thundering mediocrity.

http://www.square104.com/edmontonapartments/index.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton