HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 2:47 AM
Architecture/Engineering

BLOOMINGTON, MN | Mall of America will more than double in size...

The main thread of this article is in the Midwestern US forums. I only posted this here because some of you might be interested in hearing about the expansion plans, which go well beyond the interests of just the Midwestern US.

Mods, if you want to delete this because it's redundant, then do so. Or if you want to delete the Midwest version then that's OK too. Thanks!

Here's an update to the plans for the expansion of the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, the mall we all love to hate.

These are the latest approved plans for the Mall of America. The new addition will be four stories mostly, and measure 1,567 feet north-south by 1,312 feet east-west. The cost is approx. $1 Billion US and will add 5.6 million square feet to the existing 4.2 million square feet. Construction will begin in 2007.

With this addition, the Mall of America will become the largest single shopping complex in the Western Hemisphere.

The mall currently includes a University, wedding chapel and one of the world's largest aquariums in addition to the largest indoor amusement park in the world.

In comparison, this will make the Mall of America roughly twice the square footage of Taipei 101, currently the world's tallest building.

Tenants will include several hundred new stores, a 300,000 square foot Bass Pro Shop, a 6,000-seat performing arts center (built in conjunction with AEG), a new Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter roller coaster, a waterpark, hockey rink, museum, a Kimpton Hotel, a dinner theatre, residences and office space. Total parking spaces will top 20,000. In addition, $25 million is being invested in upgrading the existing 5-acre indoor amusement park. The expansion will also add a link to the existing IKEA as shown below.

You can see the complete plans in PDF format here. These plans were produced last summer, and are still expected to change somewhat.

Last edited by Avian001; Dec 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

Watch West Ed roll an expansion plan just in time to crush your dreams.

America always has to have the biggest everything. That place doesn't need any more sock stores.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:07 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

America always has to have the biggest everything. That place doesn't need any more sock stores.
Interesting. You just said you're the ones with the biggest something and want them to add more...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:12 AM
I am a typical

I don't want Edmonton to add more. (I'm actually neutral on that, I honestly don't care what WEM does.) I just said that the laws of Irony dictate that, like with the Freedom Tower and Chicago Spire, SOMETHING is going to come along down the road, and it won't be the 'biggest' or 'tallest' anymore.

Not that I appreciate your trying to make me look stupid. You're almost as good as Stanzi in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:14 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:

That's Okay. But the Ghermezians own both properties, and the MOA is building upon a name recognition that doesn't exist in Edmonton. But please don't take this the wrong way. I love Edmonton. It's a fabulous city. However I suspect that the MOA's higher name recognition may lead the Ghermezians to invest more heavily in the MOA rather than the WEM.

But I am perfectly willing to be wrong!!!

Does Triple Five have solid plans to expand the West Edmonton Mall? If so, what's in store?

Last edited by Avian001; Dec 29, 2006 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:15 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:

Not that I appreciate your trying to make me look stupid. You're almost as good as Stanzi in that regard.
I don't need to make you look stupid. You do that plenty well on your own. I wish you'd just stick to the diagramming.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:20 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
That's Okay. But the Ghermezians own both properties, and the MOA is building upon a name recognition that doesn't exist in Edmonton. But please don't take this the wrong way. I love Edmonton. It's a fabulous city. However I suspect that the MOA's higher name recognition may lead the Ghermezians to invest more heavily in the MOA rather than the WEM.
I didn't know that they were owned by the same group. Thanks for shedding some new light on the subject. I understand some posters are unable to do that.

@CGII: User CP > under 'Miscellaneous' click 'Buddy / Ignore Lists'; In the second box type 'vid' > hit 'save list'

Problem solved.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:22 AM
Puyo!

I would love to go there and shop forever

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:36 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
I didn't know that they were owned by the same group. Thanks for shedding some new light on the subject. I understand some posters are unable to do that.

Yes, the West Edmonton Mall and the Mall of America are both owned by the Ghermezian family, which controls the Triple Five Corporation.

They have often promised spectacular results and I, for one, am a convert. They imagine on a huge scale and I applaud them for that. Bravo to them and I hope their vision continues to exceed the average person's grasp.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:43 AM
I am a typical

Thanks for informing me! I'll be sure to remember that in the future!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 3:58 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Thanks for informing me! I'll be sure to remember that in the future!

I have to say that I've always admired Edmonton and Calgary. You have some terrific cities up there. Canada's western cities have never received the respect they are due. I am always amazed at the gorgeous setting each city can lay claim to, And both Edmonton and Calgary can easily stand amongst the best skylines in North America in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 4:05 AM
I am a typical

Go post that in the Canadian forum! Please! Maybe they'll stop bickering for a short while?!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:15 AM
Architecture/Engineering

When Phase II is completed as planned, the Mall of America will be the second largest mall on Earth (at 9.8 million square feet), after the Mall of Arabia in Dubai. However, there is still expansion space avaliable to the Mall of America to the east. The expansion may be constrained somewhat by the height restrictions imposed by the nearby International Airport.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:17 AM
I am a typical

They can go underground, can't they? Build more under the parking lots. Connect it underground to the airport! (Probably not a good idea in this day and age, actually)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:44 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The truth about WEM - it's falling apart.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:48 AM
I am a typical

All malls fall apart. The mall I used to live by installed skylights in their food court, and the first heavy snow we got, it caved in. They're fixed now, but still. They're basically built as heated/air conditioned sidewalks and nothing more.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 2:52 PM
The True Avatar

Quote:
They can go underground, can't they? Build more under the parking lots. Connect it underground to the airport! (Probably not a good idea in this day and age, actually)
Well it is connect to the airport by the LRT.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
All malls fall apart. The mall I used to live by installed skylights in their food court, and the first heavy snow we got, it caved in. They're fixed now, but still. They're basically built as heated/air conditioned sidewalks and nothing more.
True.

I'm just saying the foundations in that mall are fucked - it's hard to build ontop of it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:34 PM

Quote:
I have to say that I've always admired Edmonton and Calgary. You have some terrific cities up there. Canada's western cities have never received the respect they are due. I am always amazed at the gorgeous setting each city can lay claim to, And both Edmonton and Calgary can easily stand amongst the best skylines in North America in my opinion.
If you say so lol....

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:06 PM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Quote:
When Phase II is completed as planned, the Mall of America will be the second largest mall on Earth
(at 9.8 million square feet)

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting the link to the *.pdf files as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development