construction on the planned high-rise Wyndham luxury hotel in downtown Greensboro begins in March. The hotel will compliment Greensboro's PGA event "The Wyndham Championship" The Wyndham Greensboro will be 10-stories, maybe taller if built on top of a 150 space parking deck. The hotel is being built by developer Randall Kaplan.
Construction on another downtown hotel tower project which will be built across from NewBridge Bank Ballpark will begin around the same time. It was planned to be 8-stories but the developer said the project may grow in size. Developer Roy Carroll has been working on different concepts and wants to build something architecturally interesting since the hotel will be a part of Greensboro's skyline. Both hotels will be open in time for the grand opening of the 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts on the north end of downtown. A lot of big things are happening in downtown Greensboro between 2014-2016. In addition to the two hotels and the performing arts center here are a few more downtown projects that will be completed within that time.
- indoor carousel (glass building) that can open up during warm months
- renovation of the historic 9-story Southeastern Building (apartments, office, retail and bar/nightclub)
- Lebauer City Park (to be built across from Center-City Park and the performing arts center)
- first phase of the downtown university district (joint college campus with class rooms, offices, research labs and medical simulators)(UNC Greensboro, NC A&T State Univ., Greensboro College, Bennett College, Guilford College, GTCC, Elon Law and Cone Health will collaborate at the campus) The campus will be included in an urban mixed-use development that will consist of apartments, town homes, retail, small hotel and a plaza.
- construction of the Greenway at Stadium Park Apartments next to NewBridge Bank Ballpark
- construction of the 3rd phase of CityView at Southside Apartments
future projects beyond that timetable include:
-finishing the greenway loop around downtown
-a possible downtown soccer stadium
-expanding the university district
- Rail Yard Park (one mile linear park, promenade and chain of ponds along the train tracks)