HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 5:16 AM
DET->CLT->DC

Tony and Eric's Excellent 2007 Adventure: PART 1 - TAMPA, FL

Some cities really live up the New Year's holiday... like NY with the big ball or Chicago with fireworks off the lake or Atlanta...
with that peach thingie dropping by all those Fila and Footlocker stores near Underground... anywho...

This year Michi (aka Eric) and The-New-Tony-Detroit (aka Tony) needed to find a New Year's mini trip that brought excitement and new places to explore...
since their native Detroit had neither of these...

Tony knew he had to start of 2007 with some good photos, for he had lost in a tragic computer crash most of his 2006 work
(including some really choice stuff in Birmingham, Nashville, Washington, Richmond, Detroit and Louisville ) and could not add to the hundreds of 2006
year end "best of" threads.

Tony and Eric brainstormed: they could go east - to Philly, Baltimore and DC - but it was not clear to them in early December when they
planned this that these areas would be having 70 degree weather in January. They almost decided to head to new territory - Tulsa, Dallas,
Little Rock and maybe even Houston... but it was going to be so expensive to find hotel rooms that fit their meager
out-of-college-but-still-poor-like-college budget.

Then... it all came together... Let me present:

Our first stop... Tampa! (Fri 29 Dec 06 - 6.5 hours of touring)

If the new condo tower comes with one of these boys in each unit... Tony is moving to Tampa!

Historic Ybor City - a very awesome place!

Authentic Trolley Line connects the southern portion of downtown near the Convention Center to Ybor City.

Channelside - good concept, but more residential growth will help this area more!

Red Square? Naw - The former Tampa Bay Hotel, now the centerpiece to the University of Tampa

It took an hour of walking around the expansion of Tampa General Hospital on Davis Island to get this shot - so enjoy it!

Next stop - the Keys for New Years! (Thread in a day or so!)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 5:35 AM

Certainly the best Tampa thread I've seen on here.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 6:38 AM

Very nicely done! Funny how things fall into place. I surfed into Skyscraper 12 hours ago and registered without a "paws". I was researching Hartford and found all of this great work. I live in Tampa Bay, you caught a great insight of the area. I moved into Tampa Bay in 1982/83 from Conn, saw the Bay for the first time and that was it! I'm from Fairfield, grew up on the "Sound" trips to NYC were normal and of course the "City" is one of a kind, as well as Tampa Bay. This is my first post and it looks like I've found a great place in Skyscraper! This is one of favorites! Hope everyone enjoys this capture!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:07 AM
Highrise

amazing.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:45 AM
UrbanPHX

Great tour of Tampa.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:01 AM
TO, SH, and back again

Please give me your opinions of Tampa you two!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 10:30 AM
Born and raised

Tampa has a very modern skyline, all those glass buildings. Great pics thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 1:45 PM

Great pics, especially of Ybor.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 2:39 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Certainly the best Tampa thread I've seen on here.
Agreed. Nice job, fellas. I like the dude in the beret.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 3:00 PM
Honored Member

Good Lord, Tony! You guys did all that in six and a half hours? I'm out of breath! I may have to go take a nap after just looking at those fabulous shots.

And a hearty welcome to Florida Bobcat, and thanks for posting that spectacular photo!

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:26 PM

Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouReed
Please give me your opinions of Tampa you two!!!!!!
Ok.

I really liked Tampa. It was my first time in that part of Florida. I was surprised to see how much the metro did NOT sprawl north of the city. We came in from I-75-to-275, and the urban area just kind of pops up out of nowhere. I think that is good, especially realizing the expanse of the metro seems mostly east-west and takes up pretty much all of Pinellas County.

We weren't sure how the day was going to pan out, so we actually ended up crossing the bay twice. We knew we wanted to cross the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the way out of town, but actually drove across to the St. Pete area once before to take pictures of the bridge before dark. You can see by the one photo posted that we just barely made it. We would have liked to have been downtown to capture the skyline at about that time of evening as the sun was going down and into the darkness. But it turned out ok. Needless to say, we crossed the bay again on the way out of town and over the Sunshine Skyway. I had my first taste of Chick-fil-a (however you spell it) in Sarasota.

We had lunch at this kickass downtown sandwich shop. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it starts with an "m". I think it was on a north-south street near the Tampa Theater. The food there was SO good!! Maybe Tony remembers, or maybe other know what I'm talking about.

Easy to navigate. It was so nice to be able to get my hands on a visitor's map so easily. A visitor that doesn't know anything about a new city almost always realizes that if there is transit of some sort (other than buses) than there is a good chance it leads to some place that is interesting. In this case Ybor City. So, we hopped on the streetcar (so clean and inviting) and took in the sights all the way up to Channel Side and Ybor City.

That particular streetcar route kinda reminded me of New Orleans and the streetcar that runs between downtown and the Garden District. In between, there is a brief period of "drab" or just normalcy that would make walking from downtown to Ybor City difficult. Once there, however, it was great! I didn't even know what Ybor City was before coming to Tampa.

The skyline has always impressed me. It's easy to appreciate it more when actually there though, because you can get a feel for how the city functions rather than just how the skyline "sits pretty" in photos. I also like the diversity in architecture that can be found there.

Overall, I liked Tampa a lot and hope I get the chance to visit there again.

I will have to add some of my photos a little bit further down. In fact, that's probably what I will do when Tony posts his pictures.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:36 PM
not cleavefied

if i put down my deposit on 610 Franklin, do I get those sweet sunglasses too?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 11:50 PM

Yaaaayyyy! Now do Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 3:47 AM
TO, SH, and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
Ok.

I really liked Tampa. It was my first time in that part of Florida. I was surprised to see how much the metro did NOT sprawl north of the city. We came in from I-75-to-275, and the urban area just kind of pops up out of nowhere. I think that is good, especially realizing the expanse of the metro seems mostly east-west and takes up pretty much all of Pinellas County.

We weren't sure how the day was going to pan out, so we actually ended up crossing the bay twice. We knew we wanted to cross the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the way out of town, but actually drove across to the St. Pete area once before to take pictures of the bridge before dark. You can see by the one photo posted that we just barely made it. We would have liked to have been downtown to capture the skyline at about that time of evening as the sun was going down and into the darkness. But it turned out ok. Needless to say, we crossed the bay again on the way out of town and over the Sunshine Skyway. I had my first taste of Chick-fil-a (however you spell it) in Sarasota.

We had lunch at this kickass downtown sandwich shop. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it starts with an "m". I think it was on a north-south street near the Tampa Theater. The food there was SO good!! Maybe Tony remembers, or maybe other know what I'm talking about.

Easy to navigate. It was so nice to be able to get my hands on a visitor's map so easily. A visitor that doesn't know anything about a new city almost always realizes that if there is transit of some sort (other than buses) than there is a good chance it leads to some place that is interesting. In this case Ybor City. So, we hopped on the streetcar (so clean and inviting) and took in the sights all the way up to Channel Side and Ybor City.

That particular streetcar route kinda reminded me of New Orleans and the streetcar that runs between downtown and the Garden District. In between, there is a brief period of "drab" or just normalcy that would make walking from downtown to Ybor City difficult. Once there, however, it was great! I didn't even know what Ybor City was before coming to Tampa.

The skyline has always impressed me. It's easy to appreciate it more when actually there though, because you can get a feel for how the city functions rather than just how the skyline "sits pretty" in photos. I also like the diversity in architecture that can be found there.

Overall, I liked Tampa a lot and hope I get the chance to visit there again.

I will have to add some of my photos a little bit further down. In fact, that's probably what I will do when Tony posts his pictures.

Thank you for the effort, and it's very telling.

I'm pretty conflicted about the city I spent all of my life in, and am most likely leaving around July of this year.

To a pair of fresh eyes, this city isn't so bad after all huh?

I am grateful for growing up in this city, and really appreciate what it has done for my parents.

You got me pretty curious about this restaurant that was SO good!! next to the Tampa Theatre.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 3:58 AM
Posh

It's got that tropical look.

Nice pics.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:23 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Devou is the best ever.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:50 AM

yes.

great pics of the city i (almost) grew up in. tampa's actually got some really cool historic neighborhoods as well. all the old cigar factories are awesome too...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:35 PM
DET->CLT->DC

The place we ate in downtown Tampa was called Moxies – I had the Chicago Fire Sandwich and Eric had the Moxie's Mayhem. Both were excellent – but the Clam Chowder was really good too.

My impressions of Tampa – I entered the city knowing very little about it – which I think is common to most first time visitors. Because of the Orlando domination in the tourism department and Miami's monopoly on the "big" city of Florida status, Tampa seems to get forgotten. But once a visitor comes to Tampa I am confident they don't leave without a very positive impression of the city.

Downtown Tampa is currently in a huge transitional phase of it's history. The corporate investment which has obviously transformed the skyline over the past twenty five years seems to be giving way to a downtown residential explosion. Hopefully this brings in more retail options, which were definitely lacking in the near downtown vicinity.

I was impressed with most of the downtown land use – the ginormous parking structure south of the SunTrust building was a bit much. Tampa generally has also done really well making an easy transition between the Convention Center area and the downtown core with the obstructive Crosstown Expressway presenting some serious obstacles being it's an elevated expressway that forces pedestrians to walk under it.

Ybor City was a wonderful surprise. While some of the shopping was a bit kitchy, the overall feel of the historic district was amazing. Excellent street life overall.

Finally – I would of loved to see more of St. Pete – the areas we drove through looked very promising, even as you head back towards the US-91 causeway where it gets a bit more slummy.

Can't wait to go back to Tampa sometime soon! 

Thanks for the comments!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:50 PM

Well done. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I'm looking forward to the Keys and Miami threads.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 9:18 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

I knew I sensed a disturbance in the Force that day...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos