HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the next election?
Conservative 125 34.34%
Liberal 153 42.03%
NDP 54 14.84%
Green Party 17 4.67%
None of the above (Why bother?) 15 4.12%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:41 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Stephen Harper's Canada

I noticed a lot of tangential topics popping up in other threads all relating to Stephen Harper and the Conservatives (admittedly I began many of those debates). Thought I'd start an all encompassing thread where everything related to our current dictatorship can be discussed. Bill C-45, Foreign Investment Protection Act, China, Censorship, Lobbyists, Environmental degradation plus any more you might come up with. Let the shit storm commence!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I noticed a lot of tangential topics popping up in other threads all relating to Stephen Harper and the Conservatives (admittedly I began many of those debates). Thought I'd start an all encompassing thread where everything related to our current dictatorship can be discussed. Bill C-45, Foreign Investment Protection Act, China, Censorship, Lobbyists, Environmental degradation plus any more you might come up with. Let the shit storm commence!
Not to mention this Temporary Foreign Workers brouhaha

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:49 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not to mention this Temporary Foreign Workers brouhaha
Agreed! Would you mind summing it up in a nutshell?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:56 PM
BANNED

I’m leaning Liberal at this point, but Trudeau has a lot prove imo. I’ve never voted Conservative in my life and I don’t see that changing. I’ve voted NDP more often than not, but there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that I’ll vote for Mulcair.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Agreed! Would you mind summing it up in a nutshell?
Corporations can bring in temporary foreign workers to work jobs in Canada for 15% less than you'd have to pay a Canadian, and more of them come then actual immigrants to Canada, over 300,000 a year. With all of that leverage from the employer being their only lifeline to the country and not having the culture of unions, they can basically abuse their workers with no consequences. When their contracts expire, many stay illegally in the country and become the core of an emerging low skilled social underclass we never used to have. Corporations love it, they prefer these workers to Canadians, and when an industry has a labour shortage, instead of providing training to new Canadian employees, they can just bring in foreigners with those skills instead temporarily. This doesn't help Canadian unemployment one bit, and now the previously complacent middle and upper middle classes are starting to care as jobs as whole departments in downtown Toronto are being replaced by foreigners the old employees have to train first to get their severance packages.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:01 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
I’m leaning Liberal at this point, but Trudeau has a lot prove imo. I’ve never voted Conservative in my life and I don’t see that changing. I’ve voted NDP more often than not, but there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that I’ll vote for Mulcair.
I don't mind Mulcair. I think he's articulate and intelligent. However I think I'll likely vote Liberal as I believe Trudeau has the best chance of knocking out the Cons. He also seems more middle of the road. Plus he called Stephen Harper a piece of shit. That was awesome.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:11 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Corporations can bring in temporary foreign workers to work jobs in Canada for 15% less than you'd have to pay a Canadian, and more of them come then actual immigrants to Canada, over 300,000 a year. With all of that leverage from the employer being their only lifeline to the country and not having the culture of unions, they can basically abuse their workers with no consequences. When their contracts expire, many stay illegally in the country and become the core of an emerging low skilled social underclass we never used to have. Corporations love it, they prefer these workers to Canadians, and when an industry has a labour shortage, instead of providing training to new Canadian employees, they can just bring in foreigners with those skills instead temporarily. This doesn't help Canadian unemployment one bit, and now the previously complacent middle and upper middle classes are starting to care as jobs as whole departments in downtown Toronto are being replaced by foreigners the old employees have to train first to get their severance packages.
Interesting. So RBC replacing 45 Canadian workers with temporary foreign ones is a lead in to something much bigger and more insidious? What about the other issues where the Conservatives are claiming to be getting job placements for skilled labour at Macdonald's? I don't have all the facts about that one.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I don't mind Mulcair. I think he's articulate and intelligent. However I think I'll likely vote Liberal as I believe Trudeau has the best chance of knocking out the Cons. He also seems more middle of the road. Plus he called Stephen Harper a piece of shit. That was awesome.
No, he called Peter Kent a piece of shit, which wasn't very becoming of him although in all fairness, Peter Kent was definitely being a piece of shit when he said it. See, he was criticising and shaming an NDP MP for not going to an environmental conference that he and his government had purposely prevented her from being able to attend. He's a very honest, real, shoot from the hip kind of person with a minimum of talking points and political stuff getting in the way, but that's not always good thing, nor does it mean he has proven good judgment even if I like some of the things he says. He's not a natural politician, sometimes he seems like he's trying too hard in a role he's still not that comfortable doing. I like it, because he's a real person contrasts so strongly with Steven Harper, who's the opposite. But I fear it, because there's something to be said for the veteran politician, centrally controlling and cunning strategist, he's been very successful. Trudeau has the potential to do some very bold, transformative things, but also the potential to make much bigger gaffs and mistakes as the other side of that coin.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting. So RBC replacing 45 Canadian workers with temporary foreign ones is a lead in to something much bigger and more insidious? What about the other issues where the Conservatives are claiming to be getting job placements for skilled labour at Macdonald's? I don't have all the facts about that one.
The 45 workers is what made the news. All the other banks do this and less well known operations have been doing this stuff for years without it becoming big new. It's not a prelude, it's been widespread for years without anyone paying enough attention. The miner's in BC sure got upset when a new min opened and the operators decided to make mandarin a requirement so they could say that no qualified Canadian workers could be found and they could just hire Chinese temp workers. And yes, Tim Hortons, McDonald's, all these guys use the program very heavily. What RBC wants to do is technically against the rules, but no one actually enforces the rules or checks up on these things so businesses just get away with it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:27 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
No, he called Peter Kent a piece of shit, which wasn't very becoming of him although in all fairness, Peter Kent was definitely being a piece of shit when he said it. See, he was criticising and shaming an NDP MP for not going to an environmental conference that he and his government had purposely prevented her from being able to attend. He's a very honest, real, shoot from the hip kind of person with a minimum of talking points and political stuff getting in the way, but that's not always good thing, nor does it mean he has proven good judgment even if I like some of the things he says. He's not a natural politician, sometimes he seems like he's trying too hard in a role he's still not that comfortable doing. I like it, because he's a real person contrasts so strongly with Steven Harper, who's the opposite. But I fear it, because there's something to be said for the veteran politician, centrally controlling and cunning strategist, he's been very successful. Trudeau has the potential to do some very bold, transformative things, but also the potential to make much bigger gaffs and mistakes as the other side of that coin.
Oh that's right! Thanks for the refresher. I thought it was Harper by extension but now that you mention it I do remember better. The most hilarious and vivid part I remember is just how he said it: "piece...UV.... SHIT!!!!". LOL! They actually played it uncensored on the news.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:28 PM
DRINK

Quote:
The 45 workers is what made the news. All the other banks do this and less well known operations have been doing this stuff for years without it becoming big new. It's not a prelude, it's been widespread for years without anyone paying enough attention. The miner's in BC sure got upset when a new min opened and the operators decided to make mandarin a requirement so they could say that no qualified Canadian workers could be found and they could just hire Chinese temp workers. And yes, Tim Hortons, McDonald's, all these guys use the program very heavily. What RBC wants to do is technically against the rules, but no one actually enforces the rules or checks up on these things so businesses just get away with it.
Temp workers are all over the construction industry in Alberta. I don't like the idea, but until our government has the balls to strongly encourage people to move from economic basket case regions to places like Alberta there is no other option. It's a rather silly situation if you ask me. Paying people to sit around on one side of the county and bringing in people from Europe to build things out west.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:29 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Wow. Seriously? That's messed up. Sounds like the old railroad days all over again.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:32 PM
BANNED

How are people already deciding Liberal when the Liberals haven't much established policy? That's like wanting to vote for nothing. Do Canadians already forget all the Liberal scandals with which the country was burdened?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:34 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

LOL!!! Still so funny.

Video Link

Seems to have the piss and vinegar of his old man for sure.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan83 View Post
You won't be voting for Mulcair unless you live in his riding.

And I seriously hope you reconsider your conclusion to never vote Conservative.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh that's right! Thanks for the refresher. I thought it was Harper by extension but now that you mention it I do remember better. The most hilarious and vivid part I remember is just how he said it: "piece...UV.... SHIT!!!!". LOL! They actually played it uncensored on the news.
Now... If Tom Mulcair were to call Peter Kent a "piece of shit" in the house -- people would complain that Mulcair is being grumpy and losing his temper.

Since Trudeau is pretty, people are much more forgiving of his unprofessionalism. I think that's rather sad.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:41 PM

No Bloc Québécois?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:42 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
How are people already deciding Liberal when the Liberals haven't much established policy? That's like wanting to vote for nothing. Do Canadians already forget all the Liberal scandals with which the country was burdened?
You're right about their prior scandals and arrogance. I know it galls me to hear them say they're the only alternative, and maybe 3 months ago I would have put NDP on this survey, but I really think JT could do incredible things as PM. And hopefully not in an over-hyped Obama way.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:46 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcanadian View Post
No Bloc Québécois?
Didn't even cross my mind. It's not like they actually have any shot of running the country. Quite frankly it seems ludicrous to include a party who's sole objective is to separate from Canada in a Canadian federal election.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 9:47 PM
It's PEOPLE!!!!!

Ooooooo!!!! Look at that poll change. The conservatives are coming out of the woodwork. They must be robo-voting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada