HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 1:02 AM
WonderlandPark's Avatar
WonderlandPark WonderlandPark is offline
Pacific Wonderland
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bi-Situational, Portland & L.A.
Posts: 4,119
Ultimate Absurd Price: 1 London flat - £84m / $165m

!! 165 million dollars !!!

And they are building 4 of them @ £84,000,000 !!

nice looking--they better be, photo: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...7/nhyde107.xml

Four flats overlooking Hyde Park are on sale for a rumoured £84 million each, the highest price ever asked for a British flat.

Artist's impression of the One Hyde Park development
Artist's impression of the One Hyde Park development: four blocks made of glass and red weathered steel

The flats are part of a development at One Hyde Park, designed by Richard Rogers Partnership. They will not be ready until 2010.

Sources said today that the four penthouse flats could feature bullet proof windows, specially purified air and even "panic rooms". The security system is believed to have been developed after consultation with the SAS.

A tunnel will link the flats to the Mandarin Oriental hotel, which will provide a concierge service for the development, which contains 86 flats with prices starting at £4 million.

The complex will also have a spa, squash court and private wine-tasting facility. According to the One Hyde Park website, the scheme is "a new residential scheme whose beauty, luxury and prestige will place it in a class of its own".
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 1:12 AM
WonderlandPark's Avatar
WonderlandPark WonderlandPark is offline
Pacific Wonderland
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bi-Situational, Portland & L.A.
Posts: 4,119
Or in other words, these can be built--all of them--for the price of just 1 flat:

__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:11 AM
Distill3d's Avatar
Distill3d Distill3d is offline
Glorfied Overrated Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver (Burnaby), British Columbia
Posts: 4,151
before i shell out my $165 million, i want to be assured that no flat will ever be more exspensive, that this flat can make my bed, do my dishes, draw my bath, and start my car on snowy days. that these flats will never fall apart, and will have a force field to sheild them from weather. i also want to be reassured that my neighboors will all be extremely sexy single blonde women that don't want to sleep with any man other then myself from now until the day i die. i also want this flat to come pre-equiped with a Ferrari Enzo (for any reason i should have to leave my flat), and have teleportation connections to everywhere in the world i want to go....


if anyone else finds that unreasonable...then you obviously don't know the value of $165 million...
__________________
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:17 AM
MidtownMile MidtownMile is offline
Spire-ite
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
before i shell out my $165 million, i want to be assured that no flat will ever be more exspensive, that this flat can make my bed, do my dishes, draw my bath, and start my car on snowy days. that these flats will never fall apart, and will have a force field to sheild them from weather. i also want to be reassured that my neighboors will all be extremely sexy single blonde women that don't want to sleep with any man other then myself from now until the day i die. i also want this flat to come pre-equiped with a Ferrari Enzo (for any reason i should have to leave my flat), and have teleportation connections to everywhere in the world i want to go....


if anyone else finds that unreasonable...then you obviously don't know the value of $165 million...

And a Starbucks in the foyer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:35 AM
bryson662001's Avatar
bryson662001 bryson662001 is offline
BeenThere,DoneThat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: A swanky suburb in my fancy pants
Posts: 2,247
Obviously the value just isn't there.......except there are enough jokers running around London with more money then sense so that these will sell, maybe with an under the table discount, maybe not.
__________________
Forget it Jake ................it's Market East
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:59 AM
Kroy Wen Kroy Wen is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 345
Quote:
Sources said today that the four penthouse flats could feature bullet proof windows, specially purified air and even "panic rooms". The security system is believed to have been developed after consultation with the SAS.
so these are being marketed to Russian oligarchs, then?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 3:29 AM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,988
Wonder what the property taxes for would be like..
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 3:30 AM
Distill3d's Avatar
Distill3d Distill3d is offline
Glorfied Overrated Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver (Burnaby), British Columbia
Posts: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMile View Post
And a Starbucks in the foyer.

screw the foyer, its gonna be on the roof, with a patio because its sheilded from the weather.

i almost forgot to mention my $165 million London Flat is going to have to have a tube that connects directly both the the brewery on Granville Island in Vancouver and the Big Rock Brewery in Calgary to the bar i have set up in my living room...
__________________
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 9:21 AM
Dorian G.'s Avatar
Dorian G. Dorian G. is offline
nogames2010
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy Wen View Post
so these are being marketed to Russian oligarchs, then?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...7/nhyde107.xml
Quote:
Clients for the flats, some of which have already sold off-plan, are expected to include Arab princes and Russian oligarchs.
That was a pretty good guess (or you cheated).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 1:46 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 18,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy Wen View Post
so these are being marketed to Russian oligarchs, then?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 6:28 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 7,037
wow, if the price figures are correct, that beats this for the world's most expensive home
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
TheBoingoBandit TheBoingoBandit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
!! 165 million dollars !!!

And they are building 4 of them @ £84,000,000 !!

nice looking--they better be, photo: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...7/nhyde107.xml

Four flats overlooking Hyde Park are on sale for a rumoured £84 million each, the highest price ever asked for a British flat.

Artist's impression of the One Hyde Park development
Artist's impression of the One Hyde Park development: four blocks made of glass and red weathered steel

The flats are part of a development at One Hyde Park, designed by Richard Rogers Partnership. They will not be ready until 2010.

Sources said today that the four penthouse flats could feature bullet proof windows, specially purified air and even "panic rooms". The security system is believed to have been developed after consultation with the SAS.

A tunnel will link the flats to the Mandarin Oriental hotel, which will provide a concierge service for the development, which contains 86 flats with prices starting at £4 million.

The complex will also have a spa, squash court and private wine-tasting facility. According to the One Hyde Park website, the scheme is "a new residential scheme whose beauty, luxury and prestige will place it in a class of its own".



For anyone interested in the progress of this development, you can check out these lese webcams: http://www.onehydeparkimages.net/.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 6:28 PM
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 4,185
That price is ridiculously disgusting and disgustingly ridiculous. For that amount of money the entire building should be yours not just the '20 000 sqf penthouse'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:06 PM
beesbees beesbees is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That price is ridiculously disgusting and disgustingly ridiculous. For that amount of money the entire building should be yours not just the '20 000 sqf penthouse'.
Well that's capitalism for you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:08 AM
Arriviste's Avatar
Arriviste Arriviste is offline
What we play is life.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,526
I like its absurdity.
__________________
I shut my eyes in order to see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:55 AM
Goody's Avatar
Goody Goody is offline
Run with Love
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,127
dude... yea fuck that you could get anything you wanted for that type of money, and build it yourself. If turned to my wife (well Husband I guess because fuck women) and was like "You know hun, I think we should drop $165 million on a home. I think he would go "Kill yourself" But if I said "Darling I want to build us a home in central London it was be glorius" He would go "Great lets start designing it!"


Maybe its just me, but if I drop over say I dont know $10 million I want to having it JUST the way I want it from the ground up.
__________________
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 10:50 AM
muppet's Avatar
muppet muppet is offline
if I sang out of tune
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Posts: 3,943
land prices in London are the highest in the world too, labour costs also stratospheric (and slow), so building can go very awry. This little number below cost more than the new WTC in NYC will, Portcullis House opposite Big Ben for the MPs offices - over $1 billion. Alot went on bombproofing and underground levels, and of course, the staple of every hardworking politician feeding off our tax: utter luxury.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 11:36 AM
John Hinds's Avatar
John Hinds John Hinds is offline
Senior Committee
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DisUnited Queendom
Posts: 4,165
^ That cost also includes redeveloping the underground station.

They had to do some major works to intergrate the new Jubilee line into it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 10:29 PM
zilfondel zilfondel is offline
Submarine de Nucléar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 4,022
As for the good news...

A tunnel will link the flats to the Mandarin Oriental hotel, which will provide a concierge service for the development, which contains 86 flats with prices starting at £4 million.

...which means you can be neighbors with them for cheap!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2007, 11:34 PM
JEH-NYC JEH-NYC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
This little number below cost more than the new WTC in NYC will, Portcullis House opposite Big Ben for the MPs offices - over $1 billion. Alot went on bombproofing and underground levels, and of course, the staple of every hardworking politician feeding off our tax: utter luxury.
That is indeed expensive as hell, but your MP's are worth every penny!
I took photos of that building while in London in Dec, and wondered what the use was. Great location.

But just to clarify Freedom Tower will be much more expensive than this on a gross basis, as the PA now expect it to hit near $3.0 billion. Goldman Sachs' new headquarters across the way is over $2 billion. See http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052007...m_topousis.htm
Now on a per sq foot basis, no doubt the MP's place is way, way higher than FT.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.