HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 11:05 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 235
Winnipeg: Village area

I've been thinking about starting a thread for Osborne village for some time now so here it is! I'm starting this because I feel that there is enough development/potential in the area to have its own thread.


credit: http://winnipeg-homes.com/winnipeg/osborne-village

I don't personally know many of the projects going on in the village these days, so if anyone has any renders/construction pics/proposals to link in here that would be awesome!

I still think the village is the best spot in Winnipeg to enjoy an urban lifestyle (I live/work in the area myself), even though there has been MANY impressive changes to the downtown/exchange areas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 11:06 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 235
For a starter question I've been wanting to ask this for a long time now... Is it REALLY true that they plan to widen Osborne street? and in the process tear down some buildings in the heart of the village?

Is this still a real plan?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 11:35 PM
Reed Solomon's Avatar
Reed Solomon Reed Solomon is offline
Irritated Spend-ergy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WIN A PIG, MAN A TUBA
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
For a starter question I've been wanting to ask this for a long time now... Is it REALLY true that they plan to widen Osborne street? and in the process tear down some buildings in the heart of the village?

Is this still a real plan?
First I've heard of it. Surely they could find another way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:31 AM
Svenn's Avatar
Svenn Svenn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 348
I was told by a U of M architecture prof that the city is essentially waiting for the older buildings on Osborne to burn down before doing any street widening. The stripmall that houses TD bank and Little Pizza Heaven was apparently built so far back from the street to allow for the street to be widened should those other buildings burn down.
__________________
But, you know how it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:58 AM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
I was told by a U of M architecture prof that the city is essentially waiting for the older buildings on Osborne to burn down before doing any street widening. The stripmall that houses TD bank and Little Pizza Heaven was apparently built so far back from the street to allow for the street to be widened should those other buildings burn down.
I'm sure a wide street with suburban strip malls will create a much better urban feel......

While we fight (and fail) to save buildings in the exchange were going to lose amazing buildings to the wreaking ball in Osborne while no ones looking..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:06 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I'm sure a wide street with suburban strip malls will create a much better urban feel......

While we fight (and fail) to save buildings in the exchange were going to lose amazing buildings to the wreaking ball in Osborne while no ones looking..
If that ever made it past the publics scrutiny, I am afraid that would be the point at which I would lose all faith in this city. At which point I would be looking for a new place to live. That would be too much for me, honestly.
__________________
Winnipeg's Population 708 500
Metropolitan Population 782 400
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:08 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,014
Does anyone else feel conflicted with the state of things in the city currently? There are so many great things happening in the city, but our city council really holds us back. I just feel like so much potential is lost because of the people that run our city.
__________________
Winnipeg's Population 708 500
Metropolitan Population 782 400
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:14 AM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post
I was told by a U of M architecture prof that the city is essentially waiting for the older buildings on Osborne to burn down before doing any street widening. The stripmall that houses TD bank and Little Pizza Heaven was apparently built so far back from the street to allow for the street to be widened should those other buildings burn down.
Sounds like BS to me.

That TD Bank stripmall was most likely set back to just all for a wider more walkable sidewalk.

I would be more concerned if it was built with a parking lot out front.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:18 AM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Does anyone else feel conflicted with the state of things in the city currently? There are so many great things happening in the city, but our city council really holds us back. I just feel like so much potential is lost because of the people that run our city.
No.

I prefer to take a glass-half full approach at life.

Being depressed, worried and paranoid is no way to live your life.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:59 AM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
No.

I prefer to take a glass-half full approach at life.

Being depressed, worried and paranoid is no way to live your life.
You are happy with how the city is running things then?
__________________
Winnipeg's Population 708 500
Metropolitan Population 782 400
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:27 AM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Sounds like BS to me.

That TD Bank stripmall was most likely set back to just all for a wider more walkable sidewalk.

I would be more concerned if it was built with a parking lot out front.
I've heard this rumour a few times that's the reason I asked it. The subway/A&W strip mall is also set fairly far back. Osborne St. is my favourite street in this city and to lose it would destroy my hope for this city.

The Shoppers expansion freaked me out at first, I didn't like the idea of a major corp expanding on what used to be small businesses. But the building is very nice and they've really improved the area! (I'll take some pictures the next time I'm over there) But to tear down buildings to make the street easier for people to rush home to the suburbs from downtown...

If anything I would LOVE to see those damn strip malls ripped down and some beautiful condo/retail buildings (5~ stories) pop up in their place. And while were at it get rid of the gas station and put in a nice tall building there!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:00 AM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Does anyone else feel conflicted with the state of things in the city currently? There are so many great things happening in the city, but our city council really holds us back. I just feel like so much potential is lost because of the people that run our city.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm the one advocating for 'house cleaning' at city hall, and its not just the council that needs to go. Osborne Village and Corydon are two gems this city has with a unique urban fabric that surely could be nutured to grow some more, and eventually spill into other neighbourhoods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:44 PM
steveosnyder steveosnyder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I've heard this rumour a few times that's the reason I asked it. The subway/A&W strip mall is also set fairly far back. Osborne St. is my favourite street in this city and to lose it would destroy my hope for this city.

The Shoppers expansion freaked me out at first, I didn't like the idea of a major corp expanding on what used to be small businesses. But the building is very nice and they've really improved the area! (I'll take some pictures the next time I'm over there) But to tear down buildings to make the street easier for people to rush home to the suburbs from downtown...

If anything I would LOVE to see those damn strip malls ripped down and some beautiful condo/retail buildings (5~ stories) pop up in their place. And while were at it get rid of the gas station and put in a nice tall building there!
For a change, I will not join the City Council (and administration) bashing and will say something about the area: at the City Centre Community Meeting today at 4:30 they are approving variences/rezoning to 2 lots in the general area. This lot here, along with the single family home to the south will become 1 lot and a 5 story multi-unit building will be put there (I think 37 units total). I recently talked to the City about the proposal and asked if they would allow for a full mixed-use building (commercial on the main floor) since it was someone close to other commercial and they said they never considered it and the architect never asked.

The other is a R1-L lot on Stradbrook; the single family home will be demo'd and a 3 or 4 floor 18 unit place is proposed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:58 PM
Riverman's Avatar
Riverman Riverman is online now
Fossil fuel & rubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Winnipeg/Toronto
Posts: 1,935
I wouldn't doubt that there are plans to widen Osborne. Both Osborne and Donald are extremely congested during rush hour. Something will have to be done eventually.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:27 PM
Wigglez's Avatar
Wigglez Wigglez is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
For a change, I will not join the City Council (and administration) bashing and will say something about the area: at the City Centre Community Meeting today at 4:30 they are approving variences/rezoning to 2 lots in the general area. This lot here, along with the single family home to the south will become 1 lot and a 5 story multi-unit building will be put there (I think 37 units total). I recently talked to the City about the proposal and asked if they would allow for a full mixed-use building (commercial on the main floor) since it was someone close to other commercial and they said they never considered it and the architect never asked.

The other is a R1-L lot on Stradbrook; the single family home will be demo'd and a 3 or 4 floor 18 unit place is proposed.
That's too bad. I had always hoped that the streets branching off of Osborne would develop some retail of their own to help build the area up. Guess there is still hope for that even if this project doesn't have it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:47 PM
steveosnyder steveosnyder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I wouldn't doubt that there are plans to widen Osborne. Both Osborne and Donald are extremely congested during rush hour. Something will have to be done eventually.
What should be done? I don't understand what you mean by "something". Do you think they should widen Osborne? Donald? Both?

I would rather see them widen Donald to Confusion Corner (but the Winter Club and the Squash Club wouldn't allow it), but wouldn't put it past the City to widen Osborne. I would cry if something happened to the Courtyard building, that is one of my favorite buildings in the City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:48 PM
steveosnyder steveosnyder is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
That's too bad. I had always hoped that the streets branching off of Osborne would develop some retail of their own to help build the area up. Guess there is still hope for that even if this project doesn't have it!
I think this might have something to do with the developer not being interested in lease; I think these are going to be condos, not rentals (but I might be wrong).

I should try calling the architect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:52 PM
h0twired's Avatar
h0twired h0twired is offline
Dynamic Positivity!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
You are happy with how the city is running things then?
Of course things could be much better (ANY city will tell you that). However you have to take the good with the bad. I am assuming that you are younger (in your mid 20s) and don't really remember what Winnipeg was like 15+ years ago. When I see Winnipeg these days I see a VAST improvement from when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I choose to focus on what is better than losing sleep over a curb cut or gravel parking lot.

I spent nearly 9 years in Calgary and while people here love to wish that we had an LRT in Winnipeg or as many bike paths you have to realize that they are both different cities, and where one is strong in one place it is weak in others.

So while it would be nice to have some more forward and urban minded people in the City Hall chambers, much of the change also has to come from Winnipeg residents. More people need to take the bus, work/live/shop in downtown and other urban areas and generally create a critical mass that City Hall can no longer ignore. This will happen organically and takes time, but I see it happening faster now than ever before and that excites me.

Stay positive, Winnipeg is getting better. Even though we tend to trip over our own feet from time to time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:01 PM
rypinion's Avatar
rypinion rypinion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
What should be done? I don't understand what you mean by "something". Do you think they should widen Osborne? Donald? Both?

I would rather see them widen Donald to Confusion Corner (but the Winter Club and the Squash Club wouldn't allow it), but wouldn't put it past the City to widen Osborne. I would cry if something happened to the Courtyard building, that is one of my favorite buildings in the City.
I'd rather see something clever done at confusion corner to improve throughput. Say a big roundabout or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:06 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
孫子兵
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,573
Great thread Wigs. Spent "many years living in the Village".

Studio 511 on River is starting to fill up. Quite the impressive development, for it's age.





Main Floor layout. Floors 2 and 3 are closer to being fully occupied.. (see website)


http://studio511.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.