HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

View Poll Results: Which best describes the area where you live?
downtown (in or near) 42 46.15%
suburbs 41 45.05%
out in the sticks 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 5:04 AM

Downtown is what you call it

I live around 13th South and State in Salt Lake. I'd say it's downtown. It's sort of borderline. If someone from Sandy were to come to my house, they'd say they were going downtown.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 1:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoCSU05 View Post
you live at broadway and colfax? speer and colfax doesn't have any residential either...so i guess i'm wondering where you live?
I should have specified...The one of the most busy pedestrian intersections...For privacy's sake, I'll just say its along the 16th steet mall

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 4:01 PM
Coastal elitist

I think it's safe to assume the original poster means "urban", "suburban" and "rural or small town" instead of strictly "downtown", "suburbs" and "sticks".

I voted "downtown", even though the neighborhood I live in is not in the central city jurisdiction, much less the central city's downtown. Here is the view out my balcony. If you feel that belongs in the "suburban" category, please mentally subtract one vote from downtown and put it in suburbs.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 4:41 PM

yeah, I think that qualifies as "downtown"

I reference to your quotes underneath your post: did you catch the Onion article on "intelligent falling"? Here's the link

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

The Onion does a great job at pointing out the obvious ridiclulousness of people.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 4:55 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Not sure, Boulder isn't technically a suburb but I wouldn't consider it out in the sticks. But considering I live just east of Foothills Pkwy a mile outside of downtown, I suppose I live in 'suburban' Boulder.

Yet I have no guiltiness about where I live. I'm less than a 5 minute bicycle ride from work as well as my wife being 5 minutes by car from where she works, I'm less than 10 minutes on bicycle to any shopping I need. I have 2 bus lines that can take me anywhere I need.

Of course - design-wise, I miss living in an urban environment & I am jealous of central Denver for that. But Denver is just too far away to live there & central Boulder is too expensive (especially with a baby on the way). So - I'm rather content with our townhouse we're renting.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 5:00 PM
With Age Comes Apathy

I'm a little surprised how many suburbanites there are here all things considered.

I started looking at moving downtown again last night. Hm? Stay in a nice house where my dogs have plenty of yard to play, for what amounts to a steal... but also happens to be in the suburbs... or pay more rent than I am now on a tiny apartment downtown that would no doubt charge me tons to keep the dogs. Until they get some legitimate lower income housing downtown, I think I'm priced out. Unless someone wants to loan me $800k for that sweet place on the 11th floor of Citywalk?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 5:07 PM

Rockrimmon would definitely be the suburbs right. Some of those downtown loft prices here seem crazy to me. Maybe they would be understandable for downtown Denver but seem too high for here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
Lurking Fish

With a 40 mile commute (one way) to work, I probably qualify for “out in the sticks”. As a recent grad (from the U) with a new job and 4 children and a wife who stays at home with them, I am glad I can afford even that! One of these days, I hope to be able to move into the “suburbs” category, and maybe even the “Downtown” category by the time I retire.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
With Age Comes Apathy

Posted by GreatMuta
Quote:
Rockrimmon would definitely be the suburbs right. Some of those downtown loft prices here seem crazy to me. Maybe they would be understandable for downtown Denver but seem too high for here.
Agreed... and yes, I would consider Rockrimmon a suburban area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:05 PM

Sticks. Very sticks. Vernal, UT as of October.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:06 PM

Vernal is big city for eastern utah!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:26 PM

I live in suburbia, work downtown.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Vernal is big city for eastern utah!

And I live pretty close to the middle of town. Aaahh, I do love the urban lifestyle!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:32 PM

I don't really live in either - I'm in a house in the Stapleton neighborhood, about 7 miles east of downtown Denver.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West