HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 10:35 PM

Excuse my ignorance....but I've seen it mentioned in the last few posts. What are "podium stumps"?? And where..in the above model/photo will they be located?? Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnr View Post
I went to Open House York this weekend with tours at the memorial and 7WTC and got a few interesting bits of info. According to the marketing rep from Silverstein:

1) They anticipate streets being done in 2013 in time for 4WTC to open (1 WTC won't open until 2014)

2) If financing goes according to plan, towers 3 & 4 will be done in 2015, though she didn't give any hint as to whether there are any prospective tenants lining up

3) Podiums are definitely being built for both towers. They are being reviewed by architects to figure out how to cap the podiums if need be so that retail can be accessible (she made a comparison to PA bus terminal. Yikes.)

4) Tower 2 is not currently undergoing a redesign like tower 3 did.

5) The pyramid frame atop tower 2 is meant to be enclosed in glass even though it doesn't look it in the renderings. (I asked because the floor to ceiling model had the tip clad in plexi)
We'll see. It would be nice if podium for this tower actually were built even if the remainder is put on hold.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:50 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.downtownexpress.com/?p=3845

Port, Silverstein say W.T.C. construction is on track

October 19, 2011
BY ALINE REYNOLDS

Quote:
Construction of Two W.T.C., meanwhile, is currently above grade and continuing on schedule, according to Williams. Phase one of the project, he said, is slated for completion in the second quarter of 2012.

“Coordination is continuing every day in terms of structural and mechanical coordination [with the Transportation Hub], and in terms of making sure all the pieces of the puzzle fit,” said Williams.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
New Yorker for life

A reward for the first person to get me one of these models....

triborough

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Less so from this angle...

redwingx

And another one...

World Trade Center - 8 by PipeStudNYC, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 10:31 PM
New Yorker for life

I think it will be a very sleek skyscraper, but that pretty much depends on the angle. At any angle it will have a very sharp apex.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

Taken October 20, 2011 from 30th floor One Liberty Plaza

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:27 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Nice shot. Within the next few months, we should be able to see how far they are going to go with this one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:08 AM

The site just looks like pure clutter at this point. Haven't seen so much going at once. It will be a while before it rises.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A reward for the first person to get me one of these models....
Will it be enough to cover bail?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
DENNAB

Those models look cool, but am I the only one who thinks the towers are way too short?

The models confirm that tower two is still 1270/1350 and tower three 1070/1170 not what the title says.

But oh well, good to hear it's going along well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Will it be enough to cover bail?
Nope.

Quote:
I went to Open House York this weekend with tours at the memorial and 7WTC and got a few interesting bits of info. According to the marketing rep from Silverstein:

5) The pyramid frame atop tower 2 is meant to be enclosed in glass even though it doesn't look it in the renderings. (I asked because the floor to ceiling model had the tip clad in plexi)
Could be or it could be that the rep just didn't know. But things are always evolving a little with these developments. We'll have to see, but I'll take it either way.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Those models look cool, but am I the only one who thinks the towers are way too short?

The models confirm that tower two is still 1270/1350 and tower three 1070/1170 not what the title says.

But oh well, good to hear it's going along well.
This is outrageous and a shock. Someone change the title before people start to think that these buildings are taller than they will be. I'm a little disappointed now with this latest revelation. This man from China is right.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This is outrageous and a shock. Someone change the title before people start to think that these buildings are taller than they will be. I'm a little disappointed now with this latest revelation. This man from China is right.

Shoo fly. Why don't you go buzz around somewhere else?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Haha. This was the perfect response.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 9:35 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:56 PM

Quote:

1) They anticipate streets being done in 2013 in time for 4WTC to open (1 WTC won't open until 2014)

2) If financing goes according to plan, towers 3 & 4 will be done in 2015, though she didn't give any hint as to whether there are any prospective tenants lining up

3) Podiums are definitely being built for both towers. They are being reviewed by architects to figure out how to cap the podiums if need be so that retail can be accessible (she made a comparison to PA bus terminal. Yikes.)

4) Tower 2 is not currently undergoing a redesign like tower 3 did.

Now as a disclaimer, these things aren't out of the mouth of Larry, but since it was a marketing rep, I would trust that this is the info they're telling prospective tenants.
If point 3) is true, that's highly significant. Up to now, the general opinion has been that a podium would definitely go ahead for T3 but there was no such perception for T2. Most of what I have heard/read about T2 suggested that stopping at ground level was probable.

I would not consider this report definitive because, although a Silverstein property rep is a good source, the OP clearly made a mistake in point 2) by referring to T3/T4 when he/she must have meant T2/T3. This does not inspire confidence. Nonetheless, if true it's very good news, it means that even if the tower construction does stop for a while, there will be an imposing structure at that corner, probably used for retail, rather than just a vacant lot with beams sticking up.

Either way we may know very soon, because the current steel is at street level; if another tier of beams is erected, it must be for the podium.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Another reason they're going to have to build something up at street level is access to the transit center. There are other points of access, but its all connected. Meanwhile, the Port Authority controls the retail of the podiums, so where before they were willing to wait until full tower development, its possible the idea is now to get all of the retail built out.

Caryn La Greca

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:53 PM

I know its just a model, but this tower appears much shorter in relation to 1WTC in the model than on skyscraper pages. On the diagram it appears to be about the same height, minus the spire of course.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 12:11 AM

^Possibly because of the angles. 1WTC, although it tapers and gets smaller as it goes up, it's roof is still something like 141ft x 141ft. 2WTC's pinnacle is a single point, the tip of the top diamond. In addition, the top ~70ft of the tower is clear, as opposed to blue, giving the illusion that the building ends before it does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction