HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:08 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

It's JMHO, but the closer I look at that next-to-last pic, the more I somehow think they should've more subtly transitioned the vertical striping at that juncture where it meets the horizontal "gills" below the fins.
it just looks a tad abrupt.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:32 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

IMO, the angle when your at the memorial facing this tower ( I guess looking East) and the angle looking SW from the Williamsburg Bridge are the best vantage points. Not a fan really of the view from the Village (North West looking South).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:56 PM

^^^ it's terminally bland from the north

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 8:44 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Meh...
They could have done more with the N/S profile, sure; but IMHO whatever guesswork we could add to that would prolly redound to a debate of value engineering versus a "less is more" approach.
IIWII.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you said it. its not that exciting a design from any angle to begin with. functional is the word. nice. not quite bland with the cross bracing, but almost. in other words, this is the new new york, an office building just like anywhere else, except a little nicer quality. its exactly what they wanted.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
you said it. its not that exciting a design from any angle to begin with. functional is the word. nice. not quite bland with the cross bracing, but almost. in other words, this is the new new york, an office building just like anywhere else, except a little nicer quality. its exactly what they wanted.
Well said.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 5:21 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
This is the new new york, an office building just like anywhere else, except a little nicer quality. its exactly what they wanted.
True this. Nowadays, it's about 90% resi/multipurpose towers that distinguish themselves from the pack.

The only exception seems to be when a big company wants to set up an HQ or at least a major location here. To wit, Nordstrom's, and pretty soon Amazon and DB.

With those two, it a matter of when...and which developer/(st)architect combo lands the prize.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:22 AM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 9:23 PM

Here's the connection to the mall:

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:31 AM

I actually like it from the north side. I like how the vertical lines echo or reference One Liberty Plaza (at least IMO). If anything irs height was cut just a little too much; I'd prefer it to be a noticeable step higher than 4WTC.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:41 AM
New Yorker for life

It's really too close to tower 4 to be that close in height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

What an extremely bland tower, the original design was leaps and bounds better, but oh well, at least theres loads of other way more exciting supertalls going up in the city.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:07 PM

For the most part, I really like this tower, and It looks good in person; but, man, I wish they had compensated for the increased light penetrating the top panels; the perceived color change in the facade really makes for a busy crown, while still not effectively hiding the mechanical equipment.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:57 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

already needs a reclad. ugh.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah I'm not that excited for this one anymore. I don't even think about it. 4 WTC on the other hand is nice. Elegant, classy, and just right.

But I really think its due to its location. Its overshadowed by so much that it doesn't really stand out. If you plopped it outside of the city, anywhere in the U.S., it would dominate for the most part, but its hard to stand out in this city. Not because of height, no, but because there's a kickass design right around the corner at times. The aesthetics and design competition is tight! Kill or be killed or in a towers case, look good or fade away.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 12:42 PM

This tower isn't suppose to stand out. That's the point. It's suppose to compliment 1WTC, the centerpiece tower.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:39 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:48 PM

I think the biggest issue with the building's north side is that it was designed with Foster's 2WTC in mind. Back then, they probably thought that those two were going up at the same time, and this was just going to be wedged between the other two.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I think the biggest issue with the building's north side is that it was designed with Foster's 2WTC in mind. Back then, they probably thought that those two were going up at the same time, and this was just going to be wedged between the other two.

Don't forget, these buildings were going to be offset in either version. Also, I don't think Tower 2's wall itself is nothing to brag about.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:19 AM

I think it's kinda spiffy!

In a retro postmodern way...

...so uncool it's cool, know what I mean?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive