Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:38 AM
Eurosceptic

Tour of Pennsylvania, a world-class bicycle race, planned for '08

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07137/786793-85.stm

Tour of Pennsylvania, a world-class bicycle race, planned for '08

Thursday, May 17, 2007

By Tracie Mauriello, Post-Gazette Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG -- It's shorter, faster, younger and closer than the Tour de France.

The Tour of Pennsylvania bicycle race, announced yesterday in Harrisburg, also is expected to be a tour de force for the state.

The 500-mile race will start June 24, 2008, in Philadelphia and end June 29 at Point State Park in Pittsburgh, where an estimated 100,000 spectators will watch the 120 cyclists from around the globe cross the finish line.

It will be the first Tour de France-style race for the espoir -- or under-25 -- class in the United States.

With a $250,000 purse -- the largest in the world for the class -- and a challenging route, the race is expected to draw a large international following, organizers said.

"The route's combination of rolling hills and city streets make it the ideal setting for a race," said John Eustice, a Tour de France commentator and supporter of the Pennsylvania Lightning, a Philadelphia-based team of espoir cyclists expected to compete in the race. "It will truly test the abilities of every rider on the tour."

The tour's route will roughly follow the historic Forbes Road, along U.S. 30, which was created in 1758 when British Gen. John Forbes and Col. George Washington forged a trail through the Allegheny Mountains, founding Bedford, Ligonier and Pittsburgh.

Timed to coincide with Pittsburgh's 250th birthday, the race also is expected to give the Steel City international exposure and boost its image.

"The eyes of the world will be on Pittsburgh," said Mike Langley, chief executive officer of the Allegheny Conference on Community Development. "Pittsburgh is going to be on a global stage."

"The problem is less that there's a negative perception of Pittsburgh but that there is no perception of Pittsburgh," said Bill Flanagan, executive director of Pittsburgh 250, a commission founded to celebrate the city's 250th anniversary.

Other communities will benefit, too, Gov. Ed Rendell said.

"The Tour of Pennsylvania will help spotlight the commonwealth's scenic countryside and rich history like nothing before," he said. "We expect each city and town along the race route to benefit from an unprecedented influx of spectators from across the country and around the world."

The cyclists will ride through Valley Forge, Reading, Lancaster, Hershey, Harrisburg, Carlisle, Bedford, Ligonier, Latrobe, Fort Necessity and Uniontown.

While state and local officials view the race as a way to elevate their cities, cycling enthusiasts see it as a way to promote their sport.

"The future of this sport is tied to the United States," said the race's executive director, Dave Chauner, of West Chester, who hopes to make Tour of Pennsylvania an annual event. "The U.S. is on the forefront now, and it's engaging in a different form of racing than in Europe: shorter, faster, more spectacular races."

Three-time Olympic cyclist Jack Simes, who coaches the Pennsylvania Lightning, said the Tour of Pennsylvania will be an important race.

"Younger future champions will view it as a key event they'll plan their season around. The winner of the race will certainly get offers for a full professional contract," Mr. Simes said. "Teams are going to be focusing on Pennsylvania."

The race will feature Healthy High 5 Festivals, a series of free health fairs along the route sponsored by Pittsburgh-based Highmark Inc. One fair will be held in Pittsburgh and fairs in other locations will be announced as race day gets closer, said Yvonne Cook, president of the Highmark Foundation.

Highmark and American Eagle Outfitters, both based in Pittsburgh, are the race's main corporate sponsors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tracie Mauriello can be reached at tmauriello@post-gazette.com or 1-717-787-2141. )

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:16 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Sounds more like "Tour De 'Visit Pittsburgh!'" after reading this. But it seems like a fine event and, if I could ride a bike, I qualify!

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 6:49 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Sounds more like "Tour De 'Visit Pittsburgh!'" after reading this. But it seems like a fine event and, if I could ride a bike, I qualify!

It's being sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters and Highmark...both of which are headquartered in Pittsburgh. When I first started reading the article, I was wondering why Philly wasn't the finishing line. After I saw who was sponsoring the event, it made sense. Finishing the race coming down the Ben Frankin Parkway would be a more dramatic setting for the finish line for this event. It is modeled after the Champs Elysee in Paris which I believe is where the finish line for the final stage of the Tour de France.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
Finishing the race coming down the Ben Frankin Parkway would be a more dramatic setting for the finish line for this event. It is modeled after the Champs Elysee in Paris which I believe is where the finish line for the final stage of the Tour de France.
While the Ben Franklin Parkway would be a nice setting for the finish, having the Pittsburgh region's terrain for the final stages of the race provides for a much more challenging competition.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 4:20 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
While the Ben Franklin Parkway would be a nice setting for the finish, having the Pittsburgh region's terrain for the final stages of the race provides for a much more challenging competition.
I'm not complaining how it is set up...because it is being sponsored by Pittsburgh companies. I just think a finish on a grand promenade such as the Parkway makes for good TV.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 4:21 AM

I can also understand the east --> west direction. The Lincoln Parkway (route 30) only starts to get bumpy around the Susquehanna and that'd seem a bit anti-climactic athletically. As for scenery I suppose it could go either way. No comment.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:15 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
The Pittsburgh-centricism of this article probably results from the fact that it was written by a Pittsburgh newspaper for a Pittsburgh audience featuring quotes from interested Pittsburgh notables, such as the CEO of the Allegheny Conference for Economic Development, giving their thoughts on how this race will impact Pittsburgh.

The idea was hatched in Pittsburgh a couple years ago as a special way to celebrate the city's semiquincentennial. It is financed by two Pittsburgh companies, organized by cycling groups from Pittsburgh and Norristown, and has an executive director from West Chester. Philly and every place along this route will have their day to bask in the sun. Pittsburgh's revamped Point (under construction currently) will provide an appropriately dramatic finale (especially when coupled with the 250 bash). MeltyMan and pj3000 also make a good point about the more challenging topography west of the Susquehanna providing a better competitive climax to the event. This is a great way to promote Pennsylvania unity instead of squabbling over who's finishing the event.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 3:22 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.truesport.com/Bike/2007/Q...fpa051807.html

World’s Richest Espoir Stage Race Across Pennsylvania coming in 2008

Pro Cycling Tour to Organize Six Day Tour for U25 Teams from Around the World: American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania

Pro Cycling Tour, producers of quality cycling events and programs, announces it will organize The 2008 Tour of Pennsylvania, a six-day tour for under 25 year olds on teams from around the world. Officials of Governor Edward G. Rendell’s administration joined business leaders, community representatives and cycling event organizers in Harrisburg recently to announce the American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania, presented by Highmark Healthy High 5, an Espoir-only stage race expected to draw hundreds of thousands of spectators and cycling enthusiasts to Pennsylvania in June 2008.

“The American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania will help spotlight the commonwealth’s scenic countryside and rich history like nothing ever before,” said Governor Rendell. “We expect each city and town along the race route to benefit from an unprecedented influx of spectators from across the country and around the world.”

Sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters, the leading lifestyle brand among 15-to-25 year-olds, which is based in Pittsburgh, and Highmark Healthy High 5, a five-year, $100 million initiative of the Highmark Foundation designed to promote healthy lifestyles among children and adolescents, the tour will invite at least twenty six-rider teams of the world’s best young cyclists in the espoir class (under age 25), including several who are expected to participate in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and Tour de France.

The USA Cycling-sanctioned tour is being organized by Tour of PA, LLC, a partnership between Pro Cycling Tour, LLC of Norristown, PA and ISM-USA of Pittsburgh. The race will begin with a Prologue Time Trial in Philadelphia and cover approximately 500 miles over six days (June 24-29, 2008), with finish-line events in Valley Forge, Harrisburg, Bedford and the Laurel Highlands, and a race grand finale in Pittsburgh to help celebrate the southwestern Pennsylvania region’s 250th anniversary. A total of $250,000 will be awarded in stage prizes, overall general classification and special competitions – the world’s largest-ever purse for U25 riders.

“Sponsoring this tour is a natural fit for American Eagle Outfitters, and reflects the company’s commitment to the Pittsburgh region,” said Susan McGalla, president and chief merchandising officer of American Eagle Outfitters and member of the Pittsburgh 250 Commission. “We’re proud to be involved in a global sports event that our employees and customers can get excited about.”

The tour’s route will roughly follow the historic Forbes Road (along U.S. 30), which was created in 1758 when British General John Forbes and Colonel George Washington forged a trail through the challenging terrain of the Allegheny Mountains to the Forks of the Ohio during the French and Indian War, founding Bedford, Ligonier and Pittsburgh along the way.

“The route’s combination of challenging terrain and in town circuits make it the ideal format for a stage race,” said Jerry Casale, chief operating officer of Pro Cycling Tour, LLC. “Plus we’re thrilled that the race will showcase cycling’s wave of new, up and coming talent.”

In addition to inviting Espoir teams from around the world, organizers expect to include several American teams made up entirely of riders under 25, like USA Cycling’s Development Team and the newly-formed Pennsylvania Lightning, an all-Pennsylvania squad being directed by former Olympic Team coach, Jack Simes. “Our goal is to field a top team that will represent the state’s homegrown talent and give Pennsylvanians their own local favorites to follow,” said Simes.

The theme of healthy youth will be promoted at the conclusion of each stage through community health and wellness festivals hosted by Highmark Healthy High 5, a means to engage local communities in learning ways to adopt active living and healthy eating habits.

“Highmark Healthy High 5 is designed to promote healthy lifestyles among children and adolescents,” said Yvonne Cook, president of the Highmark Foundation. “The Tour provides an opportunity to engage children and families in the excitement of cycling and showcases the statewide opportunities for people to be outdoors, to be active and to have fun while doing it – all important elements of leading a healthy life.”

The Pennsylvania Tourism Office, another major sponsor of the tour, will market the race through www.visitpa.com, working with regional tourism agencies across the state where Tour venues are located.

“The tour provides a unique opportunity to showcase Pennsylvania’s historic cities and towns,” said Mickey Rowley, deputy secretary for Tourism, Film and Economic Development Marketing. “We encourage people to spend part of their summer in 2008 visiting the communities along the race route and all that they have to offer.” Rowley also stated that Pennsylvania supports many initiatives that encourage and promote cycling including www.visitpa.com sponsorship of the Commerce Bank Triple Crown of Cycling in Lancaster, Reading and Philadelphia, an elite mountain bike team and the development of a statewide network of bicycle routes and trails.

To learn more about the American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania, presented by Highmark Healthy High 5, visit www.tourofpa.com.

About the Tour of Pennsylvania:
Winding through Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, 120 cyclists (under the age of 25) from around the world will race approximately 500 miles over six days in June 2008. The tour is sanctioned by USA Cycling and will feature future stars of the Olympics and Tour de France. The race offers the world’s largest total purse ($250,000) for young cyclists and will be televised around the world. The tour is sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters and Highmark Healthy High 5 and organized by Tour of PA, LLC, a partnership between ISM-USA of Pittsburgh and Pro Cycling Tour, LLC of Norristown.

About Pittsburgh 250:
The American Eagle Outfitters Tour of Pennsylvania, presented by Highmark Healthy High 5, is an important part of Pittsburgh 250, the celebration of the 250th anniversary of the naming of the region in 1758. With the support of business, government and civic leaders from across the region, Pittsburgh 250 has set three goals: Improve awareness of southwestern Pennsylvania as a global leader in arts, science and quality of life through an integrated regional marketing effort; support the completion of lasting signature projects that connect the region’s past to its future; and improve the region’s competitiveness for future generations by encouraging grassroots participation in improving communities, attracting visitors, and living healthier lives.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:39 PM
America's Hometown

Norristown has a cycling team??????

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:03 PM
Most Trusted

there's already a race going on this year, in June

3 of them actually: Lancaster, Reading, Philadelphia

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:11 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_pentangeli View Post
there's already a race going on this year, in June

3 of them actually: Lancaster, Reading, Philadelphia
Don't forget the International Tour De 'Toona!

..the largest pro-am cycling event in North America...

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:54 PM

I like this. I like it very much!

I'm dusting off my spandex.......

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
It's being sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters and Highmark...both of which are headquartered in Pittsburgh. When I first started reading the article, I was wondering why Philly wasn't the finishing line. After I saw who was sponsoring the event, it made sense. Finishing the race coming down the Ben Frankin Parkway would be a more dramatic setting for the finish line for this event. It is modeled after the Champs Elysee in Paris which I believe is where the finish line for the final stage of the Tour de France.
We already have the Philadelphia International Championship, which is quite an important race, ending there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast