HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:20 AM
Red Hook Aficionado

Denver -- Central Platte Valley & Highlands

Video Link

Animated map of the walk i took while taking the photos. The route is in red.

EDIT (7.12.07) -- experimenting with a higher quality animated map -- also changed the music to a tune i recently ran across -- Beautiful (Laurent Konrad remix).
-- well the experiment pretty much failed. Map quality still sucks. oh well, i tried.

The shots are from Saturday, May 19. I started off in the Central Platte River Valley area (I think that is what it is called) and walked over the 16th Street Pedestrian Bridge into the Highlands Neighborhood and Highlands Square. Then walked back to Downtown along a different route and crossed over the 15th Street bridge.

It was about a 5-6 mile walk... the photos are no longer arranged chronologically and are scattered around, but it probably makes it more interesting that way anyhoo.

Last edited by MobyLL; Jul 12, 2007 at 3:43 AM. Reason: Experimenting with higher quality animated map

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 6:27 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Looks great and the Platte looks kind of high which is good.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 1:01 PM

Almost never see neighbohood shots of Denver...gives a whole different perspective. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 2:40 PM
Eurosceptic

superb photo thread

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 2:44 PM

Wow, almost felt like I took that walk with you. That's a nice little area of town.

Thx

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 3:37 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Looks great and the Platte looks kind of high which is good.
Yeah, it looks like the "mighty" Platte was several feet above normal, as can be seen by the concrete posts that delineate the edge of the concrete/brick "patio" along the river being in the middle of the river right now!

Nice shots, too!

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 4:10 PM

cool photos. . .

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Thanks Everybody. This was my first (successful) photo post. Tried once before with some Miami shots but didn't get the tags right for the photos to appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
superb photo thread
Evergrey, coming from you this is quite a compliment. I love the stuff you do in Pittsburgh. A really great city and you are able to capture the spirit of it so well. If I were at a different point in my life, I would probably be moving there.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 12:09 AM
Time/Space

Awesome! Areas of Denver I haven't seen before! Good job with this photo thread!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 12:29 AM

Great photos... I like this one the best:

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:33 AM

That's a cool area, fun to walk around and see lots of new contemporary architecture around the river and then lots of historic buildings and homes up in Highland.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:49 AM
InfillJunkie

Awesome photos...

I need to bitch about something,cuz I'm just not happy if I don't have something to complain about. But WTF is the deal with the parks department this year??? The flower plantings are absolutely pathetic this year...I was at Confluence Park and Civic Center Park last weekend and I couldnt believe the crappy plantings they put in. The flowers were practically dead at Confluence Park and the usual lush flower beds at Civic center park were a disgrace. Not to mention that none of the parkways have been planted with flowers like they usually are. What is the deal!?!?!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:06 AM

Always great to see pictures of home as I forget about the large variety of neighborhood here in Denver. Many historic homes in Capital Hill, Molly Brown's house and all the mini castles built by the European Barons here seeking gold in the hills. Yet, with the new art museum extension (Lebinskind sp?) and the whole Golden Triangle area, modern is absolutely making its footprint on the city.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:12 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Love your avatar, denveraztec!

Aaron (Glowrock)
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Love your avatar, denveraztec!

Aaron (Glowrock)
That is our new art museum expansion. I believe it is titanium, but very unique and the first structure for Libinskind in the U.S. However, much controversy as to a building that is art displaying art. All the walls are at an angle, nothing is completely vertical. But folks said the same about the Guggenhiem in NYC and now it is a cherished items for them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:39 AM
no its not...

nice shots.....

...especially the seldom seen Highlands area......

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:08 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
That is our new art museum expansion. I believe it is titanium, but very unique and the first structure for Libinskind in the U.S. However, much controversy as to a building that is art displaying art. All the walls are at an angle, nothing is completely vertical. But folks said the same about the Guggenhiem in NYC and now it is a cherished items for them.
I'm fully aware of that, denveraztec... You must not have seen that I reside in Lakewood!

Seriously though, nice avatar!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
InfillJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
It's funny, I was at the Santa Fe art walk on June 1 and while I was gazing at some cool photos of Denver that were separated onto painted tiles to form panoramas, etc., I overheard two people talking about the new art museum expansion.

There was a monochromatic photo of the Liebskind edition and her male companion asked for her opinion. She scoffed and shook her head stating how much that design made her ill and nauseated.

He then giggled wrapping his arm around her and practically stated the same thing as she. I nudged my partner and said that he was pussy whipped. But you know, art is supposed to engage your emotions whether good or bad. Thanks Daniel L for your edition hated and loved by Denverites all over!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 11:27 PM

Nice pictures

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
roma volo

oh denver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos