HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_nemesis View Post
Hello,

I am a long-time lurker and have enjoyed your comments and posts.... I just wanted to let you know Provo City is starting up their update to the General Plan. An open house will be on March 17, 6:30 pm at the Provo City Center Foyer. More information is at generalplan.provo.org. Spread the word.

Suburban_Nemesis

A big welcome Suburban_Nemesis, Good to have you aboard.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:12 PM

Provo City General Plan Update

Hello,

I am a long-time lurker and have enjoyed your comments and posts.... I just wanted to let you know Provo City is starting up their update to the General Plan. An open house will be on March 17, 6:30 pm at the Provo City Center Foyer. More information is at generalplan.provo.org. Spread the word.

Suburban_Nemesis

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Welcome suburban_nemesis Does your username also translate to soccer-mom? aren't they the true suburban goddesses of retributive justice in suburbia?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 4:39 AM

welcome to the group suburban nemesis! good to have your input on key issues affecting provo!

i'm a lifelong resident-- born in missour, but moved here as a child. like the area-and can't wait until it improves! can't wait to hear your take on things!

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 7:11 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Welcome suburban_nemesis. LOL. I like the name.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 3:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I too would like to welcome you to the forum, please feel free to share your expertise and opinions.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:14 AM
Frontal lobes required!

Welcome and then some other stuff....

Welcome Suburban Nemesis. Glad to have you with us.

On another note, I was up at the University Mall today walking through the new additions being built by the new theater and discovered that a Five Guys Burger is going in. They had signs up indicating they are taking applications and interviewing this week. From the looks of it, there is still a bit of work to do on the inside before the doors open. Can't remember if this has been reported on the board here or not, but I was excited as I have never been to a Five Guys and have heard good things.

I also noticed that more dirt has been "pushed" around on the vacant lot where they are supposedly building the Joaquin Village. While I can tell they have been grading the land, I've yet to see any actual equipment on the lot. Does anybody know the status of this project?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:59 AM

I went to a Five Guys last night in Fort Union. I wouldn't have noticed it was there if someone hadn't pointed it out to me (not a very distinctive sign.. and why is every sign in that strip mall red?)... Honestly, it was just okay. Apollo is still pretty unbeatable.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 1:17 AM
I want a 458

Up to the 8th floor now on the Zions Bank FC... I have a few shots ill post later tonight or tomorrow.

Man its going up quick!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 4:55 PM
Bring out the cranes...

8th already. wow. That was quick.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 10:51 PM

Its today already where are the shots

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
I want a 458

Here ya go...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
guys--

i'm seeing in the market and through the grapevine that a recession is a possibility this upcoming year to two. financial markets are in a tailspin it seems and the housing slump, credit card debt, etc...

does this make anyone else nervous?? as far as development is concerned, i know a few years ago when the hotel industry was going downhill, some hotels in the valley were put on hold until numbers could stabilize.

how do you think all this talk of a recession will affect our developments here in provo?? i could see the bank, the 10 story tower holding off a bit until more secure financial times were on the horizon.

how long do recessions typically last? a year? 6 months? 5 years?

just wondering....

poodledoodledude
it's interesting looking back at when i said this: jan of 2008!! wow, how times have changed! looks like my question has been answered!

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
university towers sounds like a pipe dream boys....

i just drove by and saw that the far north store has emptied, but now a sign is up that says it's for lease...

so, my question is this: if you are going to tear down a building to build a bigger one in a "few months" why would you put it up for lease again?? especially if it's the FIRST phase of the project??

also, when i heard the developer say, "...depending on the market." i KNEW we were going to have troubles...

so, in my opinion, IF university towers gets built, it wont be in the next 3-5 years....

poodledoodledude
so, i hate to say i told you so...

BUT...so far, this summer, this project was announced 2 YEARS AGO!! and still, all that has managed to get done is remodeling of the old knight block building and a few signs put up...

--mark my words folks-- the university towers project is on hold--don't know for how long, but i'm thinking ground breaking won't start until NEXT summer...

anyone wanna bet?? IF it starts NEXT summer, i think that it will be 3-5 years before the thing is FINISHED as to WHEN it was ANNOUNCED.

poodledoodledude

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the big welcome.

University Tower probably needs a certain amount leased before they will begin. In this economy it probably won't start construction untill well after the recesion is over and the economy is growing again when they can get the leases.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 4:18 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Zions Bank tower frame finished; project to wrap up in 2010

Workers will install the final steel beam in the Zions Bank Financial Center frame in downtown Provo today, with the rest of the building slated for completion in about a year.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/303148/17/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 5:10 PM
I want a 458

I think its 8 floors office and then the rooftop viewing area so 9 total... at least thats what I have counted.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 5:46 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Zions Bank tower frame finished; project to wrap up in 2010

Wow. Already topped out? That went up fast.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 5:49 PM

I'm anxious to see this project's cladding in place. The rendering leaves me guessing on the beige parts.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 11:41 PM

Zions Bank, Provo top out new Utah County financial center framework

The last steel beam is lifted into place on the new nine-story office building in downtown Provo as part of a topping-off ceremony Tuesday. (Jason Olson, Deseret News)

By Roger L. Hardy
Deseret News

PROVO — Old Glory fluttered in the breeze Tuesday as a crane hoisted the last of 11,000 tons of steel effortlessly into place.

Reas McFadden, left, Ryan Maestas, center and Ian Billings put the final decorations of the last steel beam to be lifted into place on the new nine-story office building in downtown Provo

On the other end of the beam, a United Steelworkers of America Local 27 banner shared the gentle wind, while a miniature evergreen tree balanced in the middle. The reverse side featured dozens of signatures of local dignitaries — including Provo Mayor Lewis Billings — and others who wanted their names preserved for posterity.

Then Zions Bank, PEG Development, CAMCO Construction Inc., and Provo city officials celebrated the completion of the construction of the steel frame with a "topping out party" for the Zions Bank Financial Center in downtown Provo.

The last steel beam is lifted into place on the new nine-story office building in downtown Provo as part of a topping-off ceremony Tuesday. (Jason Olson, Deseret News)

Ironworkers took eight weeks to complete the framework of the eight-story building at 172 N. University Ave.

"This phase of the construction went rapidly, with the installation of steel at a rate of up to 30 tons per day," said Helen Anderson, Provo spokeswoman. "The next phase of construction will take more time, with overall completion scheduled for the spring of 2010."

Once completed, the Zions Bank Financial Center will serve as the headquarters for the bank's central region, with its 28 Utah branches and combined deposits of over $1 billion. Roughly 65 Zions Bank employees will relocate into the building, which is part of the city's plan to revitalize its historic shopping and business district.

"It shows that Provo is committed to revitalizing downtown and that Zions is committed to Utah County," said Tom Morgan, regional manager.

The structure will also give Zions Bank its largest presence outside of Salt Lake City, Morgan said.

"It will give an opportunity for class-A office space ... and lift the profile of the downtown area," said Utah County Commissioner Larry Ellertson.

Before construction began on the $25 million structure, work crews hauled 60,000 cubic yards of dirt out of the ground, said project manager Martin Christiansen.

Tax-increment financing will pay for the building's parking garage, meaning some of the increase in property taxes from developing the property will go toward the garage over the next 12 years. The financing makes development of the property possible, Anderson said.

The property-tax increase is expected to raise 40 times the money than the property was generating when it was a series of shops and stores.

Provo School District and Utah County will also receive some of the property tax once the building is completed. After the 12-year period passes, the school district, county and other local government entities — including Provo — will receive all of the property tax, Anderson said.

Local officials sign the last steel beam to be lifted into place on the new nine-story office building in downtown Provo as part of a topping-off ceremony Tuesday. (Jason Olson, Deseret News)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West