HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:20 PM

Provo planners working on new zoning, building standards

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ew-zoning.html

PROVO — New zoning is in the works that is destined to change the look of the downtown business district.

"In the central area, all the (land-use) rules are the same," said Provo community development director Gary McGinn during a City Council study meeting Tuesday.

But that could change in the future.

"There's a whole lot of things going on," McGinn said...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw007 View Post
Lovely massing. The scale of zions is perfect.
I swear I posted this reply last night. Was it deleted?

Anyway, I mentioned that this is currently proposed between two of those buildings:

Think how dense it will be after that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 9:02 PM
I want a 458

I still wish they would have used the original design for the Zions Banks FC...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 9:23 PM

Yes, though I still like it. The architecture in Provo is quite unique in areas (Nuskin, Wells Fargo, now Zions) and I think will really look good to contrast when more normal style buildings are added.

I'm kind of assuming the lighter parts of Zions are stucco?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:15 AM

What has changed from that rendering of the Zions Bank building? I thought this was the final sketch up.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:28 AM

Found it:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 3:47 PM

What is your thoughts?

Guys,

Sorry, mainly read and don't post. I have a couple questions and would like your feedback. But first a couple updates on whats I know about downtown:

1. The City has released a nice map browser. You can get all sorts of data on properties: http://map.provo.org/

2. Old Zions Bank Block: The redevelopment agency is courting the current property owner, who apparently happen to be involved in hotel development, for a future hotel. No commitments yet. No plans submitted yet. They want to have a minimum of a courtyard Marriott style hotel but hope for larger.

3. University Tower is pretty much dead until the economy turns around and they can get a certain amount of leases. However, as the Redevelopment Agency has a stake in some of the property, this will not go away forever.

4. A Transit-Oriented Development Zone was adopted for 80 acres surrounding the new intermodal center (600 South, 100 West). It will allow up to six-stories of mixed-use development. A major incentive to develop is a 50% required parking reduction for the first four stories and a 75% required parking reduction for stories 5-6.

5. Bus-Rapid Transit Planning is moving along with the proposed corridor running up 100 West. Connecting downtown Provo to BYU, UVU, and both malls...

5. The State District Court block will get a new justice building within the next five years (likely).

6. Provo City owns RC Willey, and all the parking up to Smith's front door. This would make an excellent redevelopment opprotunity. Nothing proposed yet but the RC Willey lease is up next year.

7. Progress on the Atchafalya move seems stalled but really don't know.

8. I attended the design charrette for the convention center. The proposed plaza area is not large enough to do anything like the one at Gateway... although I do agree that would be cool.

9. Albertsons in Utah was bought by Intermountain Grocers. I don't know if this will have implications for the downtown Albertsons. If it shuts down there could also be a nice redevelopment opportunity.

Questions: I know this is 'skyscraper' forum but would you agree that there are other considerations beyond height as a factor for making good cities/urban spaces?

Should Provo develop to the same height as, say, Salt Lake City??? Or, Is there a certain height limitation that would capture what Provo is all about? What do you think that is? 12, 15, 20, 30, 100 stories? (Other than the character of the city, the height limitation could prevent one project from draining the entire market for redevelopment of downtown).

What should we do with the height of development immediately to historic home neighborhood areas that have been targeted for preservation? Should we put Zion's or NuSkin next door to one-family houses? Is this a problem, and if it is how should this be handled?

I would appreciate your thoughts on these questions.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 6:12 PM

Tony: Thanks for the clarification. I agree, I like the original rendering better, although the new one isn't so bad.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:40 PM
I want a 458

I like the additional setback with the brick on the original. The current one seems, I dont know, kind of wide compared to its height.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 9:29 PM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_nemesis View Post
Questions: I know this is 'skyscraper' forum but would you agree that there are other considerations beyond height as a factor for making good cities/urban spaces?

Should Provo develop to the same height as, say, Salt Lake City??? Or, Is there a certain height limitation that would capture what Provo is all about? What do you think that is? 12, 15, 20, 30, 100 stories? (Other than the character of the city, the height limitation could prevent one project from draining the entire market for redevelopment of downtown).

What should we do with the height of development immediately to historic home neighborhood areas that have been targeted for preservation? Should we put Zion's or NuSkin next door to one-family houses? Is this a problem, and if it is how should this be handled?

I would appreciate your thoughts on these questions.
There was a 16 story building proposed in 1997 by the Boyer Company where the RC Willy Outlet is.

I see the time when SLC will have a 50 story building(s) I personally think Provo could eventually support a few 30 story buildings (think Bellevue WA and Seattle)

I dont think Provo needs to expand its CBD any further eastward and interfere with the Pioneer neighborhoods, however, westward has a ton of land. The I-15/Center St interchange is probably the worst use of land in the city.

Provo could actually have a good sized downtown if this FrontRunner/Intermodal hub redevelopment successfully ties downtown with East Bay.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 10:06 PM

I think the University Tower would be incredibly beneficial to Provo and its downtown, and really hope the developers see that. Provo has this feel to me like 'If you build it they will come'. I've been looking at jobs around the area and there's a LOT of tech companies between Springville and Lehi. Many are in Provo, Orem, and American Fork. If there's nice office space, like the University Tower, downtown, I think companies will definitely come. And imagine how many workers the Tower would bring downtown? I really don't see it being anything but beneficial - the huge population surge in Provo and the Utah Valley which will continue - Provo being the main hub and the only area with a real downtown - the lack of area to develop on elsewhere. Build it, and I think Provo's downtown will begin a huge boom. I understand the developers are hesitant until they have enough leases, but at the same time, I think companies will be hesitant until they actually see the building, and realize that Provo's CBD is for real. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:29 AM

Provo/Orem moving forward with bus rapid transit

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...d-transit.html

PROVO — Little by little, plans for a bus rapid transit line between Orem and Provo are getting closer to reality.

The Mountainland Association of Governments board of directors recently voted to accept plans for the site of the state's first BRT system.

Bus rapid transit runs like a light rail but uses buses instead of railcars, said Chad Eccles, a MAG transit program manager...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:54 AM

Provo development moves forward amidst controversy

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...b1f55309f.html

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 2:45 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

The only problem Tony with the build it and they will come concept is that they can't build it without the leases. Banks and private investors won't finance the project unless they know that a portion of the building is pre-leased, particularly with the University Tower, which unlike Zions and Wells Fargo doesn't already have a major tenant lined up.

As for the height in downtown Provo, I don't really think there is a need to but a height restriction on buildings for the overall downtown area. I think there should be a line to the east that says nothing more than 3 or 5 stories on a facing block to a residential neighborhood. That would give a nice step up into the taller buildings of the CBD.

As Wasatch said, I think the natural progression will occur as the city continues to redevelop and mature. Right now downtown SLC doesn't have the need for a 50 story building and Provo doesn't have the need for a 20, but as more businesses locate in grow and as large companies have an interest in the area the taller buildings will be built without sacrificing the need for others.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
The only problem Tony with the build it and they will come concept is that they can't build it without the leases. Banks and private investors won't finance the project unless they know that a portion of the building is pre-leased, particularly with the University Tower, which unlike Zions and Wells Fargo doesn't already have a major tenant lined up.
No I realize that. I just think they need to do everything they can to make it work. There's a number of growing companies in the area, as seen through the current INC 5000. At least 8 were in Provo, and 7 in Orem, and more throughout Utah County. And many of them were IT companies, which use the type of office space that would be provided. Growing companies usually need more employees and more office space.

INC 5000 - http://www.inc.com/inc5000/2009/the-...der=DESC&o=450

Personally, I don't think they'd have too hard a time leasing or selling the space. It's really about if Provo is ready to take that next stop in downtown growth or not.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:29 AM

Provo prepares to update development plans

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ent-plans.html

PROVO — The Provo Planning Division will showcase its recommended updates to the city's general plan at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Provo City Center, 351 W. Center St.

Last march, the Planning Division began the update to the general plan, which guides development. It's the first update to the plan in five years, city spokeswoman Helen Anderson said.

The draft and other resources and public comment tools are online at generalplan.provo.org.

The city is taking public comments on the plan until 5 p.m. Sept. 14. Residents also may comment at the Planning Commission hearing scheduled for 5 p.m. Sept. 23 in the council chambers at City Hall.

For more information, contact Matthew Taylor at 801-852-6429 or mtaylor@provo.utah.gov.

— Rodger L. Hardy

Provo hires help for downtown project

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...n-project.html

PROVO — The City Council has hired temporary, part-time help to carry out its intent statement to revitalize downtown.

The statement is one of 10 resolutions passed during recent budget hearings that give the council more power to appropriate tax dollars. The resolutions dictate the timing and method of spending and include guidelines for the council and Mayor Lewis K. Billings to work together and with city departments.

The six-month, $30,000 contract went to Carol Walker, who is active in downtown issues, America's Freedom Festival and Provo arts, council vice chairman Sherrie Hall Everett said.

Walker will work with the Downtown Alliance and the city's branding initiative, Everett said. The council also gave her the task of researching how the council can best revitalize the business district, which in recent days has focused on Center Street, to create policy for the city administration to carry out.

The $30,000 comes from the already-approved downtown budget, Everett said.

— Rodger Hardy

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 3:34 AM

Zion's Bank Financial Center

Moving right along

08/30/09

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 6:22 PM

I'm still not sure that I like the floor tile that covers the new Zions Bank building. And all that stucco makes it look as cheaply built as the Wells Fargo building to the south.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 6:38 PM
I want a 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbashby View Post
I'm still not sure that I like the floor tile that covers the new Zions Bank building. And all that stucco makes it look as cheaply built as the Wells Fargo building to the south.
I agree. I was expecting actual brick. And with all that stucco...yeah, not a big fan.

That is why I think the first rendering of it was much better. It had this "tile" higher up and additional step backs to break up the monotony.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 7:27 PM

Yeah...

The red tile looks like junk, and the rendering made it look like it was going to be brick instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West