HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:20 AM
travis bickle travis bickle is offline
silly slackergeek
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 446
Absolutely outstanding. Any mention if there is still a problem with the hotel blocking the control tower view?

Any word on an observation deck? With a bar? I like the colors.

Construction starts this spring? That's incredible. We'll see service to Europe soon after this opens with the runway extension.

This is such a first-class project. The airport people must have been beaming!

Thanks UE! Truly appreciate the update.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:35 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Age gets better with wine
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sacramento~Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
Absolutely outstanding. Any mention if there is still a problem with the hotel blocking the control tower view?

Any word on an observation deck? With a bar? I like the colors.

Construction starts this spring? That's incredible. We'll see service to Europe soon after this opens with the runway extension.

This is such a first-class project. The airport people must have been beaming!

Thanks UE! Truly appreciate the update.
Hardy Acree (the airport boss) was there and i was tempted to go up and ask him about flights to Europe, though i doubt that even if he had a crystal ball that he would share it with me.

I didn't ask about the height of hotel, but the renderings are new, so i think the plan to construct it as seen is still the plan. I'm wondering whether the airport might not just pay for the new control tower since $10 million dollars (i think is the estimated cost of the new control tower, though i may be wrong), would be a drop in the bucket for a project estimated at $1.1 billion.

The new virtual reality renderings were so impressive as were the Corgan architects on hand. I have to say that the New Central Terminal and Concourse will be one of the most impressive airport facilities in the nation.
a 180 degree turn around from the embarassment that is Terminal B today.

No small accomplishment for SacTown.
__________________
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation." ~~~Gustavo Petro
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:59 AM
TowerDistrict's Avatar
TowerDistrict TowerDistrict is offline
my posse's on broadway
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in an LPCA occupied zone
Posts: 1,600
I'm so blown away by this plan it doesn't seem real.

Now just so we're clear... this project is funded and ready to begin?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
Map of recent Sacramento developments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:44 AM
Pistola916's Avatar
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Sacramento-CA's portland
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 368
Wow, impressive video and rendings. I'm so excited. I'm even more thrilled that construction is around the corner. We might not get a new arena, we might lose the Kings, we might not see residential high-rises for a while, but we're definately going to have a spectacular terminal and airport thats for sure. BTW, is there any chance the new terminal B will be designated as a mini-hub or hub for Southwest once completed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:28 AM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 4,863
Very Nice Urban E., these renderings are more detailed than before and I love
the glass everywhere.. I love terminals with lots of windows so I can see
everything that’s going on outside.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:56 AM
Nawlijispower's Avatar
Nawlijispower Nawlijispower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 65
New Airport

Do we know how many gates the new terminal will have?
__________________
www.myspace.com/matt_altop
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:34 AM
arod74's Avatar
arod74 arod74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: east Sac
Posts: 358
Excellent breakdown urban, much thanks. 4 years is a pretty aggressive timeframe considering the scope of the project for Sacramento. I hope they can make it. Can't wait for the wrecking ball to hit that first-impression-killing terminal B.
__________________
Damn you Robert Horry!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 1:33 PM
travis bickle travis bickle is offline
silly slackergeek
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 446
Corgan associates is world scope company. That Sacramento has them involved is fabulous. Some of the other airports they've done include Dallas, Houston, JFK and Miami.

Like Sacramento's Terminal B, Miami's airport was a dump. I completely agree with what so many others have said. This is such a superb project, it's hard to believe that it's actually happening.

If I understand correctly, the new "Concourse B" will be able to accommodate 23 757 type aircraft at one time. Any larger aircraft, such as a 767/787 or an (oh, what the heck) A380 would temporarily reduce that number due to air-side space constraints.

By contrast, I believe Terminal A has 12 gates with the possibility of adding four more.

There is also plenty of room for expansion as the Central Terminal can grow to the south and a new "Concourse C," also with 23 gates, can be built to the west.

What I had heard was that Terminal A would likely become a strictly Southwest concourse and, in the later stages, also be connected to the Central Terminal by an APM. Please note: no one knows for sure right now the negotiations have a long way to go. At this point, no one knows what the final airline distribution will be.

Also note the way the ticket counters are spaced as islands and not against the wall. This allows for greater efficiency (two access sides instead of one) and greater flexibility. They've really done this well.

When you think of some of the mediocrity that Sacramento has either accepted or been forced to endure, God it's great to see something that has aimed high from the beginning.

I can't wait!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:40 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Age gets better with wine
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sacramento~Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post

If I understand correctly, the new "Concourse B" will be able to accommodate 23 757 type aircraft at one time. Any larger aircraft, such as a 767/787 or an (oh, what the heck) A380 would temporarily reduce that number due to air-side space constraints.

By contrast, I believe Terminal A has 12 gates with the possibility of adding four more.

There is also plenty of room for expansion as the Central Terminal can grow to the south and a new "Concourse C," also with 23 gates, can be built to the west.

What I had heard was that Terminal A would likely become a strictly Southwest concourse and, in the later stages, also be connected to the Central Terminal by an APM. Please note: no one knows for sure right now the negotiations have a long way to go. At this point, no one knows what the final airline distribution will be.

Also note the way the ticket counters are spaced as islands and not against the wall. This allows for greater efficiency (two access sides instead of one) and greater flexibility. They've really done this well.

When you think of some of the mediocrity that Sacramento has either accepted or been forced to endure, God it's great to see something that has aimed high from the beginning.

I can't wait!
I think they will be able to accomodate just about any sized aircraft at the gates. (Runway issues withstanding)... Although i got the impression that they are planning on seeing only 767 and the comparable Airbus variant and possibly the dreamliner 787... Anything larger would probably be weather diverted aircraft from SMF.. (Just a guess on my part)..

I believe Terminal A can be expanded by a total of 6 gates (4 in the Southwest Concourse) and two more on the Southeast side of Terminal.

And i think you're right Travis about Southwest possibly taking all of Terminal A (Which was built with input from Southwest in regards to passenger waiting and boarding.) But that's just my own hunch. There will in fact be a second APM once The Central Terminal is expanded (around 2020). At that time the Central Terminal will begin handling all baggage claim and ticketing.
__________________
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation." ~~~Gustavo Petro
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:42 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Age gets better with wine
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sacramento~Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Wow, impressive video and rendings. I'm so excited. I'm even more thrilled that construction is around the corner. We might not get a new arena, we might lose the Kings, we might not see residential high-rises for a while, but we're definately going to have a spectacular terminal and airport thats for sure. BTW, is there any chance the new terminal B will be designated as a mini-hub or hub for Southwest once completed?
Oakland is Southwest's main west coast hub (if it can be called that)..

But i wouldn't be surpised to see SMF pick up a few more SWA flights with additional gate space available to Southwest.

Travis would probably know better than any one since he's knows people behind the scenes at SMF..
__________________
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation." ~~~Gustavo Petro
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:45 PM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
Age gets better with wine
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sacramento~Urbs Indomita
Posts: 5,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawlijispower View Post
Do we know how many gates the new terminal will have?
23 will gates will be built in this first phase..(for the 2011 opening)

There are also plans (around 2020) to expand Terminal A by another 4 to 6 gates and Airport the Master Plans calls for another 20+ gate Terminal C for 2020 and beyond.. If passenger growth continues at SMF there's a good chance it might happen.
__________________
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation." ~~~Gustavo Petro
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:03 PM
travis bickle travis bickle is offline
silly slackergeek
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Oakland is Southwest's main west coast hub (if it can be called that)..

But i wouldn't be surpised to see SMF pick up a few more SWA flights with additional gate space available to Southwest.

Travis would probably know better than any one since he's knows people behind the scenes at SMF..
The only issue holding up significant expansion from Southwest at SMF is gate space. I have been told this repeatedly by both airport and Southwest people. They run about 85 flights a day now and with 8 gates that is at capacity. A rule of thumb for gate usage is 10 planes max/day/gate.

I have been told that Sacramento could see up to 125 flights/day in the near future with enough gates. That would place it well within Southwest's top ten stations (it's almost there now). With the new terminal, I think we'll see significant expansion from Southwest almost immediately and 125 flights/day by 2013. You have to remember that new flights require more planes and Southwest's delivery schedule wouldn't afford an expansion any more rapidly than that.

Southwest has significantly cutback on their transcon service over the last year, so I don't expect flights to BWI or FL as I once did. But I'd look for increases to Portland/Seattle/Midway/Kansas City/Vegas/Austin/Phoenix/all of the So. Cal. cities, perhaps even Love Field in Dallas if the regulatory hurdles are finally cleared. There is also some talk that Airtran will become more intimately involved with Southwest and would take up some of the long-haul slack. But rather than new cities, I hear that most of the immediate additions would be frequency increases to existing cities.

Last edited by travis bickle; Oct 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:54 PM
jsf8278's Avatar
jsf8278 jsf8278 is offline
Edge_City
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 211
I hope this hasn't been covered already, but...Where is the 1 billion dollars coming from to fund this project? I'm sure multiple places, but I was wondering if anyone has seen a breakdown of it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf8278 View Post
I hope this hasn't been covered already, but...Where is the 1 billion dollars coming from to fund this project? I'm sure multiple places, but I was wondering if anyone has seen a breakdown of it?
Some of it is coming from a ticket and concession surcharge specifically for airport projects and about 10% is coming from the FAA. Check out the video story on KCRA. It spells it all out and has some cool renderings like the ones in this thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 11:52 PM
cozmoose's Avatar
cozmoose cozmoose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 169
When completed, will the new terminal become the signature icon for the city?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:23 AM
arod74's Avatar
arod74 arod74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: east Sac
Posts: 358
It will definitely make a great first impression on those flying into Sacramento, but no I would find it hard to believe a medium size airport as nice as it is on the edge of town could become a signature icon of a city. Besides, that title has been reserved according to CIM and Calpers for their future project at the former towers lot.
__________________
Damn you Robert Horry!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 1:33 AM
Pistola916's Avatar
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Sacramento-CA's portland
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 368
What about the new terminal's signage. Is there a rendering of that? just like when you go to the international terminal at SFO, the exterior says "San Francisco International" on the front of the terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:50 AM
creamcityleo79's Avatar
creamcityleo79 creamcityleo79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
It will definitely make a great first impression on those flying into Sacramento, but no I would find it hard to believe a medium size airport as nice as it is on the edge of town could become a signature icon of a city. Besides, that title has been reserved according to CIM and Calpers for their future project at the former towers lot.
What about DIA? That's way out there and it is very much an icon in that city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:37 AM
Pistola916's Avatar
Pistola916 Pistola916 is offline
Sacramento-CA's portland
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SAN FRANCISCO/SACRAMENTO
Posts: 368
Denver has great airport. But my favorite goes to DFW.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:30 AM
arod74's Avatar
arod74 arod74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: east Sac
Posts: 358
DIA is one of the largest international airports in the world and a major us air hub and I still wouldn't think most residents of Denver wouldn't consider it the signature city icon which is what cozmoose asked. The completed airport here would still only be a mid size airport and international for the most part only in name. A great addition to the amenities here but I would still hope that Sacramento would be able to point to something other than in airport as the main rallying point for civic pride. Kind of irrelevant I suppose as the addition will surely make us all proud.
__________________
Damn you Robert Horry!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.