HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

River Landing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Saskatoon Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

View Poll Results: When will construction begin?
2010 11 15.94%
2011 16 23.19%
2012+ 11 15.94%
Never 31 44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:11 PM
working stiff

Saskatoon | River Landing Village | 20-12-4 floors | Proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
From an ad in todays star phoenix - digital edition

Looks a lot cleaner than the previous versions.

More images and information to follow.

Last edited by Ruckus; Nov 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:41 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Link for full PDF proposal.

http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...ake_placid.pdf

I think it looks great! I must say, a lot better than the previous proposal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 8:57 PM
working stiff

^ so much for being the first to upload

I'll post my photos regardless.

Much more superior than anything this city or province has ever experienced, every element had thorough consideration, Lake Placid your awesome

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:09 PM
Movin' on up

Wow. Very impressive!

I really hope Saskatoon goes through with it, as it would be a great addition to the city.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:10 PM
Saskatchewan's Capital

Very nice.

Although I digress to the comment made above. I think the Qu'Appelle Diocese land is just as significant of a project.

Hopefully this goes through.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:11 PM
working stiff

The following photos capture the proposal book available at City Hall, or if you download the PDF file(sharper than my photos) available at http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...ake_placid.pdf

Last edited by Ruckus; Sep 5, 2007 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:11 PM
ruff

Definitely the coolest thing the province has seen in some time. Very decent. Hate the name, but whatever.

-- No, the last thing we need is some paternalist weighing whether we are sufficiently noncontroversial to be admitted to subsidized quarters in a Utopian dream city. -- Jane Jacobs

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:14 PM

Very nice looking. Is there actually a company proposing to build this? or is it just a concept by city hall, of what they would like to see in River Landing? And what exactly is it? (Residential, commercial, mixed?)

If it's just a concept tendered by the city, I'd be cautious. It might not end up looking anything like that. But I hope it does! Beauty!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:19 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Definitely the coolest thing the province has seen in some time. Very decent. Hate the name, but whatever.
I don't believe a name has been proposed/selected for any of the components(Retail/Office/Condo/Hotel), its simply known as the destination complex of River Landing Phase One or Lake Placid proposal at River Landing, I am sure more answers will be provided once the process gets going.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:43 PM
ruff

^Ooops, my mistake, that's the name of the developer.

-- No, the last thing we need is some paternalist weighing whether we are sufficiently noncontroversial to be admitted to subsidized quarters in a Utopian dream city. -- Jane Jacobs

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 9:57 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Now that I am home from work, I have spent some time looking at the full PDF proposal. All I can say is WOW! Every aspect of this project is great. Awesome job Lake Placid!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 10:09 PM

by the pictures it seems pretty amazing. i hope in real life it will look jist as good. The best thing in saskatoon in a long time so far at least.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Very nice.

Although I digress to the comment made above. I think the Qu'Appelle Diocese land is just as significant of a project.

Hopefully this goes through.
I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment above, but I wasn't trying to compare it with any other project. I really do think it will be a great project for Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
working stiff

The optimist in me says Lake Placid has spent considerable time and effort in their proposal ( fine details) which suggests they are quite serious and have the experience and funding to make this proposal a reality for Saskatoon.

The proposal screams reality (except the surrounding downtown depicted shows little resemblance of the current downtown). Remember why previous proposals fell through? Because they were uninspired, half-assed, meaningless, thoughtless proposals, or maybe it was simply because rising construction costs forced past developers to re-consider their investment into such a notable development

Lake Placid seems like a quality group, with quality ideas, and necessary deep pockets to make this thing a reality. Onward to approval and construction baby

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:42 PM
Saskatchewan's Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment above, but I wasn't trying to compare it with any other project. I really do think it will be a great project for Saskatoon.
No no, the comment above yours.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 12:21 AM
working stiff

Now we wait for approval (Mayor says next 60 days) and construction (CTV says Spring?). A lot can happen between now and then (Provincial election, commodities prices increase/decrease, population increase) that may effect this development, as well as other current and future developments.

If the current and future state of Calgary's downtown development is any indication, Saskatoon should keep chugging along

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 AM

WOOWOO, i love it. amazing

Old Posted Sep 6, 2007, 12:56 AM
working stiff

As for the LEED elements of this proposal, I wonder why a green roof finish (grasses and such) wasn't considered for the office, and possibly the hotel as well.

http://www.greenroofs.net/index.php?...d=26&Itemid=40

Frequently Asked Questions about Green Roofs

Why a green roof?
There are generic private benefits for virtually all projects, benefits, specific to the design and type of green roof, and benefits/incentives related to public policy, which have proven to be critical to developing the market in Europe:

Private Benefits

Please Note: while there are similarities among green roofs, each installation is unique. Hence, all technical performance details provided will vary by region, climate, building and green roof type and design. These figures are provided as generic examples only and should not be used for designing projects without expert advice and opinion.

The following benefits can be achieved with virtually all green roof infrastructure systems.

Economic Benefits - cost savings opportunities for the building owner include:

- Protection of roof membrane resulting in a longer material lifespan (it is estimated that green roofs will last up to twice as long as conventional roofs), resulting in decreased maintenance and savings in replacement costs;

- Savings on energy heating and cooling costs, depending on the size of the building, climate and type of green roof. Using a Micro Axess Simulation model, Environment Canada found that a typical one storey building with a grass roof and 10 cm (3.9 inches) of growing medium would result in a 25% reduction in summer cooling needs. Field experiments by Karen Liu in Ottawa Canada, found that a 6 inch extensive green roof reduced heat gains by 95% and heat losses by 26% compared to a reference roof.

Sound Insulation

- Soil, plants and the trapped layer of air can be used to insulate for sound. Sound waves that are produced by machinery, traffic or airplanes can be absorbed, reflected or deflected. The substrate tends to block lower sound frequencies and the plants block higher frequencies.

- A green roof with a 12 cm (4.7 inches) substrate layer can reduce sound by 40 decibels; a 20 cm (7.9 inches) substrate layer can reduce sound by 46-50 decibels.

The following benefits may be achieved, depending on the type and design of the green roof system (i.e., accessible/inaccessible, intensive/extensive, integrated with other building systems or not).

Economic Benefits

- Potential to reduce the size of HVAC equipment on new or retrofitted
buildings (capital and operational savings).

- Potential to reduce the amount of standard insulation used.

- Potential to incorporate cooling and/or water treatment functions.

- Potential for local, regional, and national market exposure, depending
on the uniqueness of the project.

- Potential to reduce or eliminate roof drains.
- Potential to meet regulatory requirements for stormwater management.
- Potential to reduce community resistance to new developments.

Amenity Space and Aesthetics

- Provision of amenity space for day care, meetings, and recreation;

- Aesthetic appeal, increasing the value of the property and the
marketability of the building as a whole, particularly for accessible green
roofs. For example, American and British studies show that "good tree
cover" adds between 6 to 15 per cent to the value of a home. Green
roofs offer the same visual and environmental benefits.

- Satisfying the aesthetic needs of people looking down upon the roof
from adjacent buildings.

- Potential to improve employee productivity.

Food Production
The Fairmount Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver used to grow herbs, flowers, and vegetables on its accessible roof, saving its kitchen an estimated $30,000 a year in food costs.

The following benefits may be achieved, depending on the type of public policy support for green roof installations in your area.

- Potential for faster approval process for new projects, as is the case in Chicago
- Potential for reduced stormwater/wastewater charges from your municipality or utility.
- Potential to reduce the size of stormwater management ponds or cisterns, resulting in cost savings.
- Potential for grants related to energy efficiency and/or green roofs.
- Potential for density bonusing / larger floor area ratio.
- Potential to satisfy regulatory requirements for green roofs.
- Potential to score more than 7 credits under the US and Canadian Green Building Council LEED certification system.
- Potential for satisfying minimum parkland / green space set aside, requirements.
- Potential for greenhouse gas emissions trading credits, stemming from energy savings.

Public Benefits
Please note: All technical details provided will vary by region, building type and materials used. These figures are provided as generic examples only and should not be used for projects without expert advice and opinion.

Economic - Improved Air Quality - Temperature Regulation - Water - Social - Preservation of Habitat & Biodiversity - Local Food Production

Economic Benefits

Public policies that support green roof installations will create jobs for the following:

- Suppliers and manufacturers of roofing membranes and root repellent layers;
- Suppliers and manufacturers of drainage layers, landscaping cloth, curbs, irrigation systems and other specialty products;
- Suppliers and manufacturers of substrate, light-weight soils and amendments;
- Garden nurseries specializing in plants specifically for green roofs;
- Design and engineering professionals;
- Contractors and landscapers; and,
- Companies supplying maintenance contracts.

Although no exact figures exist, it is estimated that the roofing industry in Germany employs approximately 12,000 people, and if all flat roofs were to be greened, this figure would increase to approximately 100, 000.

Community cost savings opportunities include:

- Cost savings from increased stormwater retention and decreased need to expand or rebuild related infrastructure.
- Decreased cost of meeting greenhouse gas reductions and adapting to climate change by reducing the "Urban Heat Island Effect" and the need for interior building insulation.
- Decreased need for health care services from reductions in ground level ozone resulting from a reduction in the urban heat island.
- Increased worker productivity and creativity.
- Decreased need for health care services and medication due to the benefits of passive experiences with nature and vegetation.
- Extending the lifespan of landfil sites by reducing re-roofing material waste.
- Opportunities to recycle aggregate and compost.

I suppose Lake Placid may have considered it, and ultimately decided it was too progressive(doubtful), or not feasible given current industry demand and costs.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2007, 11:15 PM

my buddy and I bought into their project in Calgary...Really nice stuff from what we can see so far...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 2:49 AM

WOW! thats awesome! Great to see something new for saskatoon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan