HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:58 AM

Freeport-McMoRan Center (One Central Park East) - Phoenix, AZ

On to another project...I did a search on the city's permit site and there's quite a bit of stuff on Central Park East, with some items being addresses as recently as 01/08/07.

1ST COMMENTS REVIEW: PRE-APP
BY: Shilpa Panicker DATE: 1/8/07 ACTION: PR 2-C

Development/Design Discussion:

Water and Sewer :

30" waterline relocation will be required for the length of the building frontage; the remainder of first street will be retained as a water easement.
12" water line will be required in Polk.
12" waterline will be required in Central
10" sewerline extension will be done in Van Buren.

Traffic :

Dedications will be required along street corners, as per traffic engineer's report.

Site :
Screening of all parking facing street, using landscape or 3' high wall, in either case details are required.
Screening of all loading, off-loading operations will be required; details for the same are required.
Temporary landscape area adjacent to Central, details required : plan, landscape plan, lighting plan, accessibility plan, hardscape /materials details, 3-d block views establishing how this area will be an enhancement to the adjacent light rail corridor.
Elevations: Please specify colors, materials, provide materials board at preliminary. 3-d model for elevation is required.
Provide updated list of stipulations from the Water and Sewer Dept, coordinate with Abandonment coordinator.
Provide a schedule for completion of all required stipulations and for the ones that might take time also provide status reports on a continuous basis, till completed.
Variances :
1. Variance to increase the build to line to _72__' to the outside edge of the building, along Central. 8' build to line required in DC, Section 643.E.2.b (1).
2. Variance to increase the build to line to _165'__' to the outside edge of the building, along Polk. 8' build to line required in DC. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
3. Variance to increase the build to line to _38__' for the 1st floor and second floor, along 1st street. 20' build to setback from the back of curb required. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
4. Variance to reduce the setback to an average of 40' from the back of curb 1st and second floor, along Van Buren. Section 643.E.2.b (1).
5. Variance to eliminate the requirement of at least 60% of the building front shall be located within 15' of the front property line. Section 643.E.2.b(4)
Development Process Discussion:

Once an updated copy of stipulations is submitted, duly signed off by DDO, Water and Sewer and the abandonment coordinator, a preliminary submittal may be made.
A Landscape inventory combo plan has to be submitted.
FAA approval has to be sought before preliminary approval.
The letter of approval to be provided by the City Archaeologist.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 3:40 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I've been meaning to ask, does anyone know anything about this lot:

Its the one just north of the Chase Tower. Does ASU own it? I really hope something is proposed for there (or will go there eventually), being next to the tallest building in the state, next to the bus station, and just south of ASU downtown, it seems like it would be a highly desirable spot. Its a shame a surface lot is there. A nice tower there would really help fill out the skyline.

EDIT: Ah, cool thanks HX_Guy. I've got the memory of a 95 year old man, so I can never remember what is going where. Now Ill ask a follow up question (open to anyone)- what the hell is with the name "Central Park East"? It doesn't seem to fit the location.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jan 24, 2007 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 4:06 AM

Have you heard of Central Park East? You found it's location.

That is where Central Park East was supposed to go, which was supposed to have ASU classrooms, office space, and residential. It was supposed to be 475' in height. Plans fell through but something is still in the works.
Looking at the permits issued for the project, the latest issued on 01/19/07 is

Permit# ENVR-070015 Description/Scope of Work:SLOPE/INVENTORY
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: INV/SAL

If anyone has any idea what that means, I'd love to know.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:16 PM

Arrow One Central Park East - Phoenix, AZ

Whether officially under construction or not, there is a definitely a lot of activity at the site and time for it's own thread.

One Central Park East - 383' / 26 floors
Office: 475,000 SQ FT OFFICE
Ground Floor Retail: 10,000 SQ FT GROUND FLOOR RETAIL
Parking: 600 Spaces

301 N. Central Ave. Phoenix AZ

Site on 09.11.2007

Last edited by HX_Guy; Sep 12, 2007 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:43 PM

Hey! Is that Don B up in that crane taking future view pictures?? j/k.

Thanks for putting together this thread and for the pics. I'm pretty sure the building rendering will change slightly, but that's OK. I'm liking the look, and I REALLY like the location.

So it is semi-under construction (at least some prep work), I don't think anyone knows, but is there an official ground breaking in the works, or has anyone heard of when a possible groundbreaking will be?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:48 PM

According to a recent article in the AZ Republic, utility work is supposed to start this week (looks like it may already have) and ground breaking could come by mid-October.

"The partnership, which is planning to start off-site utility work on the property this week, could break ground on the project by mid-October, depending on when the developers receive building permits from the city, said Michael Szkatulski, senior managing director of Mesirow Financial Real Estate."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...sirow0909.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:33 PM
Skyriser

Are you sure the address is 301 N Central ... I know it's kind of pedantic but I remember the address as 50 E Van Buren ... it's the same place I know but was curious anyway.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:37 PM

The permits issued so far all show 301 N Central Ave.
It would make more sense that it was addresses on Van Buren since the building will face Van Buren, but I'm going by what the permits say.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 PM

Yeah! Another cool thread! HX_Guy.....that you in the crane shot?

I like the black boxes to show where the building will go. .... Kinda looks like a witness relocaion shot with a witnesses eyes blacked out for protection.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 10:27 PM

Speaking of which, I wonder if there are any lots that could be developed to fill in the space between Central Park East and the Sheraton hotel? It would have to be something that lines up in view with the ASU Center and the Arizona Republic building. Looking at a map, something around 2nd Ave and Fillmore would be good, maybe The Jet project, if that ever still happens.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 12:02 AM

Cue drooling!

I really like this building. In case you couldn't already tell.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 12:40 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Looks good ,I can't wait until it gets started, it'll give us something to watch now that the Sheraton, Summit and 44 Monroe are about done. It does start to fill the gap between the AZ Center buildings and the rest of downtown nicely.

HX_Guy, I think you're right, the Jet would be the only project currently proposed that further fills in that gap. Though there was the idea thrown out of a tower being build next to the Herberger, that may help from some angles too. Most of the ASU buildings are going to be pretty stubby which is too bad, though the dorms should be visible, especially from that first angle you posted.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 2:51 AM
-_-

nice. once construction actually begins, I think a thread needs to be created in the 'Highrise Construction' forum. Are there threads for 44 Monroe or the Sheraton?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 2:12 PM

I absolutely love this building. And I think it's design, along with 44 Monroe and CityScape and that sliver building (fantasy? Monument?) really underscores a shift in design in DT, from brown/nondescript to something absoulutely more interesting.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 7:38 AM

Smile about the rendering

Im hearing that this 26 story tower is the "whole enchilada" instead of part of it.
However, the rendering for central park east shows 2 towers one about as tall as the one in the photo on this thread and the other being alot taller, possibly the 39 story tower.

The spot in the current photo of CPE would resemble the smaller tower in the original rendering of CPE. Which would or should mean that the taller one will be built soon afterward.

Hopefully !

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 7:50 AM

Smile about the rendering

Im hearing that this 26 story tower is the "whole enchilada" instead of part of it.
However, the rendering for central park east shows 2 towers one about as tall as the one in the photo on this thread and the other being alot taller, possibly the 39 story tower.

The spot in the current photo of CPE would resemble the smaller tower in the original rendering of CPE. Which would or should mean that the taller one will be built soon afterward.

Hopefully !

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:12 PM

Good pictures, HX_Guy.

I wonder if it would be possible to add the two Cityscape silhouettes to your two landscape views, or are you already ahead of me?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post

Hopefully !
Not sure which rendering you're referring to with two buildings (don't remember that). But there was an earlier version of CPE that, I think, was to be about 39 floors. That was replaced by what you see now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:20 PM

^ He must be referring to the one that the Arizona Republic published a long time ago. Not gonna happen.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:22 PM

He's referring to this old rendering:

That was the original rendering when the Walter Cronkite School was supposed to go into the building as well, but those plans were scrapped and the school is being built on it's own lot.

I did read that there are is a future residential tower phase planned for the current project, and they are building on just 1/2 the block, so it's definitely a possibility...but I'm sure that is way way off, if ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest