HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

One Madison Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:01 AM
Landmark Restored

Smile NEW YORK | One Madison Avenue | 937 FT / 285.6 M | 74 FLOORS

NY Magazine:

September 20, 2007

Alec Appelbaum

"Have We Found Libeskind's Manhattan Tower at Madison Square Park?"

Some months ago, Daniel Libeskind told us he was designing his first tower in Manhattan. We asked where it was, and he said he couldn't tell us, yet, but he would as soon as all the official folderol allowed. A few days later, someone who knows Libeskind mumbled something to us about "One Madison," then promptly hushed up. For months, Libeskind's people have said only that Israeli developer Elad Properties is Libeskind's client for a project somewhere in Manhattan. Well, today, an Israeli news service is reporting that Elad is developing a 74-story apartment tower at One Madison Avenue. You know, that pretty landmark with the illuminated clock tower? According to the report, they'll be adding many stories to make the new structure one of the tallest residential towers in the world.
Back in June, Libeskind told us his project would be on a "historic site, one of the iconic sites of New York City." And, he added, "I guarantee you'll see the Statue of Liberty from there." Aha! And hmm. It's got to be hard to change any aspect of that building. Elad's venerable publicist, Lloyd Kaplan, says he doesn't know what to make of the Globes story. And we're not in the business of glomming news from publications we've never seen before. But either way, we're excited for all the heated debate about the effect of skyscraper shadows on the iciness of Shake Shack custard in coming months.

Globes Online:

September 20, 2007

Ariel Rosenberg

"Tshuva to build Manhattan’s tallest residential building:
Yitzhak Tshuva’s project will top the 72-story Trump World Tower."

Yitzhak Tshuva’s private real estate arm Elad Properties is planning to build Manhattan’s tallest residential skyscraper, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world. He is apparently taking to heart the words of the Leonard Cohen song, “I’ll Take Manhattan”.
Elad will invest $450 million in the One Madison Avenue building, fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street, adding floors to the 17-story New York City landmark. The result will be a 74-story skyscraper that will by 900 feet (274 meters) tall. The building will top the 72-story 262 meter Trump World Tower. The 283-meter tall 70-storey Trump Building, an office building on Wall Street, will still be higher than Tshuva’s new development however. Only two residential skyscrapers in Australia - the Q1 Tower in Gold Coast, Queensland, and Melbourne’s Eureka Tower - will top One Madison Avenue.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 10, 2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:10 AM
JoeCooper

This one will be taller than the Ghary Tower! Great to see another project come along into the works!

BTW, could somebody please map out exactly where this project is to be built?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
World Machine

I am happy about the height (but count on it changing), but not so crazy that Daniel is designing this one. I'm not a big fan of his work. Hopefully though the height of the building will remian on a steady track. After what happened with the Drake site, you have to expect height changes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 1:37 AM
Frigidus Maximus

I think it's great Libeskind finally gets his NYC tower - he deserves it, after coming up with a spectacular site plan for the WTC. 900 feet! I hope Dac150 is wrong about it changing... unless it grows!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 1:46 AM
World Machine

^^^^^^^^^^^

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:09 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

This is just speculation, but I'm wondering if this is actually going to be built on top of 25 Madison Avenue. 25 Madison is the Met Life North Tower, which was supposed to be about 100 stories tall, but wasn't finished due to the depression.
My point is, the foundations of that building are strong enough to have a sizable (tall) building erected on top of it. If this proposed building was on 1 Madison Avenue, the building ( probably just the low rise base) would have to be completely gutted.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:09 AM
JoeCooper

Danny boy effed up his chance at the WTC proposal, I guess this is a chance to redeem himself. Personally after I saw that vertical junkyard proposal he did for the new WTC I lost my confidence in him. Even if it is Libby designing this one, it's great to add a 900 footer to any city any day!

All aside, let's just pray it won't be too ugly, hahahahaha...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:16 PM
Time/Space

Anyway we are still not sure where this 'new' tower is going to be built on.

What the 'site' looks like right now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
This is just speculation, but I'm wondering if this is actually going to be built on top of 25 Madison Avenue. 25 Madison is the Met Life North Tower, which was supposed to be about 100 stories tall, but wasn't finished due to the depression.
I've been hoping for the "completion" of this building forever, but I don't think that's what it is with Libeskind's tower.
The article mentions "the 17-story New York City landmark".
The Met Life North Tower has about 30 floors.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:29 PM
low-riding

anything that has to do with altering the metlife tower i am absolutely 100 percent against. If its the the building 1 block north. 25 then im better. but 1 madison is the clocktower i thought. that is more than a city landmark. i was iffy about the narrow 600 footer that is sprouting across 23rd street from it

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 8:41 PM
World Machine

The Midtown highrise disease is spreading into other parts of they city. I am all for it as long as it does not obstruct MetLife.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 9:11 PM
I love boxes.

I'm sorry to go OT, but is that the unfinished 100-floor building on the left side.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:17 PM
World Machine

Yes it is. I really wish they would have finished it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 11:38 PM
I love boxes.

^^me too, It would've been the second 'ESB' .

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 11:42 PM

err, "fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street" would be the shorter building to the right of the clock tower on the pictures above... not the unfinished tower to the left...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 12:26 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I've been hoping for the "completion" of this building forever, but I don't think that's what it is with Libeskind's tower.
The article mentions "the 17-story New York City landmark".
The Met Life North Tower has about 30 floors.

Journalists are routinely sloppy when it comes to new buildings in NYC. I can't think anyone would actually destroy the upper reaches of the "clock tower;" that would be far, far worse than the demoliton of the Drake... besides, it's just too thin to stretch to 900 feet, and what would be the point? They might as well just destroy it altogether. I doubt it's foundations could possibly accomodate the extra load of all those additional floors.

No, the Met Life North Tower makes far, far more sense: not least of which, because it has the foundations for building up to 900 feet to begin with. Besides, it would be following in a recent trend in the City in favor of new construction in the guise (partially, at least) of old stone construction (like the preservation of the Hearst base, for example).

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Sep 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 1:47 AM
Show me the blueprints

Regardless of whether the article is referring to the annex building or the North Tower at 11-25 Madison, I thought I'd give post an image of the 1929 proposal that only produced the "base" we know as the Met Life North Tower, as well as some background info from nyc-architecture.com

Quote:
Lured to the project by the client's offer of a high salary and the chance to build a mile-high tower of steel, stone and glass, the, Columbia University-educated architect Harvey Wiley Corbett left his position on the Rockefeller Center design team in order to take up this project in 1928. While construction of this steel-framed structure proceeded through the Depression, the crash of 1929 ultimately reduced the scope of the project. The current office block was once intended to be the base of a mammoth skyscraper, but Corbett's longed-for skyscraper was never built. Clad in Alabama limestone with marble details and richly appointed marble lobbies, the vertically striated surfaces and streamlined undulating masses of this Art Deco building give it a slick if somewhat sinister appearance.

In 1929, the Metropolitan Life Bldg, comprising the 1893 12-story construction, the 1909 campanile-like tower and the 1919 north annex, was becoming too small to house the continual growing activities of the biggest insurance company. A new building was considered for the full block site between E24th and E25th Streets, designed by Corbett and Waid... which missed to be the highest in the world. The proposed 100-story telescoping tower would have reached a climax in the mountain-like style, with fluted walls, rounded façades, like a compromise between the Irving Trust Bldg and the visionary Hugh Ferriss's drawings. But the 1929 crisis exploded and... was erected only what was previously considered as the base. From a rectangular pedestal rise multiple recessed volumes which have the particularity to become 30-degree angled from the 16th floor on each side of the building, resolving at last in an original dumbell-plan shape from the last setback. As the magnificent Ralph Walker's Irving Trust Bldg, the new Metropolitan Life Annex resembles as a complex structure, covered by a limestone-clad drapery, renouncing to the sacrosanct rigid orthogonal geometry. A brilliant success.
The proposed 100 story full build out tower—WOW!

If built, this probably would have been the most Hugh Ferris like tower in the city.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:05 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Well, I strongly suspect it's THIS building that Libeskind is about to finally complete for us, after all these decades... if so, let's hope that his own designs show sensitivity and respect to the original proposal...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:13 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Well, I strongly suspect it's THIS building that Libeskind is about to finally complete for us, after all these decades... if so, let's hope that his own designs show sensitivity and respect to the original proposal...
After reviewing Libeskind's work, I would doubt it. I can only hope he does not stick us with one of those designs that looks like it came from another planet. What a slap in the face it would be the MetLife and that whole area if that were to happen. It's a very historic and "old time" neighborhood. Libeskind needs to do the right thing.

Let us not forget you have the Flatiron Building as well as the New York Life Building right down the block. This is the type of area that "you cannot just build anything in". It's not like Midtown where it will be hidden, this is a distinctive area between Lower and Midtown Manhattan. Regardless of what it will look like, it'll stick out like a sore thumb. That is why the right design needs to be chosen, to correspond with the enviroment.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 5:33 AM

Don't you guys even JOKE about them completing this building - that would be the best thing EVER.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects