HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That one sentence pretty much describes everything in Japan. They NEED to be told what to buy lol - literally.

How could you buy something if you aren't told that EVERYONE else thinks it is super kakkoii and / or kawaii, too?

It's an oddly conformist place, in some aspects~
It's actually a pretty common phenomenon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:28 AM

they are or have just opened a giant new flagship in new york, their only foray into north america

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 3:46 AM
Vancouver User

A mostly auto-related retail update...

Rolls Royce Motor Cars Vancouver on 5th. [Showroom has two RR & one vintage Ferrari Testarossa]

Ferrari Maserati of Vancouver [Corner of Burrard & 3rd]

Note the vehicles lining on the 3rd Floor!

Showroom contents :: California, Gran Tourismo, Challenge Stradale [I think]

Better hope it holds... with an Enzo on the bottom!

affinity auto on Fir & 3rd. [Former location of West Coast Drum Centre?]

Showroom contents :: M3, Silver Spur, GT40, Z4, Range Rover, and more...

Pardon the Sun/smoke/iPhone turning the building pinkish.

Cats Only on 4th & Fir [Formerly Speaker City]

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 10:43 PM

Five Guys Surrey now open!

Quote:
Hello Surrey, British Columbia!!! We would like to take a moment to announce that the Surrey, BC location in Canada, located at: 2285 160th Street, Unit F8 & F9, Surrey, BC V3S 9N6 is NOW OPEN!!!! Please, stop on by if you are in the area!!!
August 3 at 11:29am

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 8:16 PM

If you like vinyl toys Vancouver's best designer toy store is closing Sept 15th. Voltage on Main street is no more. http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2010/08/v...s-closing.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 11:28 PM

they need a Strawberry Cones downtown - maybe near Japadog

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 5:51 PM
Site 8 Lives

The longstanding Mexican restaurant El Nopalito, on 3rd Street in North Vancouver near Lonsdale, is no more. It looks like a new Indian restaurant is trying to set up there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Five Guys Surrey now open!
Chow Times reviews Five Guys:

http://chowtimes.com/2010/08/10/five...-south-surrey/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 9:55 PM

Joe Fresh on Granville St. - looks like they removed the entire facade (the new one):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 9:56 PM

I just... can't imagine anyone wanting to wear those particular clothes. Is the one on the far right supposed to be a mime / nun hybrid?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:11 AM

Victoria's Secret opened their first Canadian store today in the West Edmonton Mall. Three more are coming soon to the Toronto area.

Any ideas if they are looking for a location in Vancouver? Any thoughts of where it could/should go? Think it should go in the mall or be stand alone?

I think it would be great if they built a full blown Apple Store, and next door had an equally large Victoria's secret; it would put an end to a lot of couple's strife.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...megadrop_story

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:23 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

HOT TOPIC just opened (tomorrow) 2 of 3 new stores in ONTARIO. I hear they are going to push west next year. Anyone hear anything?

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:40 AM

yay fake goth clothes love it

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Victoria's Secret opened their first Canadian store today in the West Edmonton Mall. Three more are coming soon to the Toronto area.

Any ideas if they are looking for a location in Vancouver? Any thoughts of where it could/should go? Think it should go in the mall or be stand alone?

I think it would be great if they built a full blown Apple Store, and next door had an equally large Victoria's secret; it would put an end to a lot of couple's strife.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...megadrop_story
Victoria's Secret has absolutely been looking at Vancouver, Pacific Centre in particular. Nothing has been signed yet but look for an announcement in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 5:33 AM

I have been told from sources which I can't disclose that Gucci will be expanding their vancouver store along with Louis Vuitton in the Vancouver Hotel. They are most likely expanding to two floors like Louis Vuitton, but are also looking at a completely new location. Look for changes in 2011 to ALL retailers in the fairmont hotel including OMEGA but you didn't hear it from me. Also the Louis Vuitton will indeed be a Maison one of the only ones in the world it will be two floors and will be over 10,000 sqft with mens wear and accessories on the bottom and womens wear on the second level with fine jewelry. I will post more news when I am able to disclose the information. Also look for changes at St. John possibly different store and two levels!
Sorry for not spilling the beans earlier, but I am not allowed to give away all the tenants. Also Griffins Restaurant may be closing to make way for another retailer! look forward to giving more updates!!!!!
If any ones has any questions about high end retailers comings and goings don't hesitate to ask? (although like I said I cant give concrete locations away).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 5:56 AM

so if michael kors is opening at pac centre it must be taking the rotunda section? the new entrance at granville and georgia for the office tower looks so good

so the old entrance is set to become part of teh retail? so there will be some georgia retail presence?

and the bay - part of the new bag dept is open and it looks really good - plain and simple and some surprising brands - moschino & badgley mishka... among dooney and bourke and fossil etc...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 10:14 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

the new entrance at granville and georgia for the office tower looks so good.
Any photos?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van23H View Post
I have been told from sources which I can't disclose that Gucci will be expanding their vancouver store along with Louis Vuitton in the Vancouver Hotel. They are most likely expanding to two floors like Louis Vuitton, but are also looking at a completely new location. Look for changes in 2011 to ALL retailers in the fairmont hotel including OMEGA but you didn't hear it from me. Also the Louis Vuitton will indeed be a Maison one of the only ones in the world it will be two floors and will be over 10,000 sqft with mens wear and accessories on the bottom and womens wear on the second level with fine jewelry. I will post more news when I am able to disclose the information. Also look for changes at St. John possibly different store and two levels!
Sorry for not spilling the beans earlier, but I am not allowed to give away all the tenants. Also Griffins Restaurant may be closing to make way for another retailer! look forward to giving more updates!!!!!
If any ones has any questions about high end retailers comings and goings don't hesitate to ask? (although like I said I cant give concrete locations away).
Nooooooooo, I love Griffins! It's too expensive to go except the rare occasion for me, but I absolutely love the classic decor. It looks great (probably the most unique restaurant in Vancouver) and has an amazing location, all they have to do is change up the menu a bit and it would probably be more successful (but don't mess with the Prime Rib!). I know there's lots of money in high end retail, but rich people gots to eat too, and except for trendy douchy places, there aren't that many places to go if you want a quiet, elegant meal in that part of town.

WRT Victoria Secret, yeah, Pacific Center seems like a logical choice, but are there any good available locations that are big enough in there ATM? Also, won't it just steal business from their other location in there (the La Senza). Although I guess if I had to place a bet, I would actually put money on them announcing 2 in Vancouver, one in the Pacific Center and one in Metrotown.

But I'm kind of hoping to see more big chains to open up on W Hastings, it would be nice to see it restored to the street it once was. I was just down there the other afternoon, and during business hours, there were about 10 times as many people (locals and tourists) walking along Hastings than on Granville South of Robson. Some good retail would really do well there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 7:45 PM

Griffins is a great spot beacuse of the ocassional 2 for 1 deals - either through the Entertainment Book or Visa Perks (not recently tho') - and the dessert bar.

In each of the Hotel Vancouver two-storey stores, I can't imagine that the ceilings would be very high, since the ballrooms are above them.

WRT Victoria's Secret - could they be going in the the former 701 West Georgia lobby location?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 2:17 AM

Does anyone know what's going in that new building .. Granville @ Nelson.. ?

Ron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Business & the Economy